First-year Sophomore - WAMC as of right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDKwhatmynameshouldbe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian male at a pretty good public school.
GPA: 3.9
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: not taken yet

EC's:
Volunteer EMT - 300+ hours
Leadership at a college club
Volunteer at hospital - 80+ hours
Research - 80 hours
High school research where my data was published (senior year)

This is all I have right now, but I was wondering how I am doing managing my pre-med goals. Am I on track to go to a good MD med school? This is all from January 2018 to present.

Also, I am looking to graduate a year early and try to make med school straight out of college - is this likely with my resume so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any non-clinical volunteering, preferably with the underserved?

EC's:
Research - 80 hours

This is all I have right now, but I was wondering how I am doing managing my pre-med goals. Am I on track to go to a good MD med school? This is all from January 2018 to present.

Also, I am looking to graduate a year early and try to make med school straight out of college - is this likely with my resume so far?

If you wanted to go to medical school right out of college while graduating early you'd have to apply this upcoming cycle. Considering you haven't taken your mcat yet i wouldn't recommend it. Other people would also have an extra year of activities on their applications that you wouldn't have not even considering the people taking gap years. The people i know who tried this had little success and ended up reapplying after a year so personally I'd recommend just graduating early but applying at the end of your Junior year (graduation time in your case). That way you have all of this summer to study for the mcat and do really well on it. Then you have all next year to get more experiences or expand on your current ones more. Then what your senior year would've been can be a nice gap year where you can just work and enjoy life for a bit before medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

EC's:
Research - 80 hours

The general pre-med SDN wisdom is to have an MCAT score to help determine success during your cycle. That being said, if you plan on graduating early you might want to hold off on applying and do what @freedoctor17 suggested. I would focus on doing something you consider meaningful not just stuff to check off a pre-med list.

Is your desire to graduate early do to finances/saving money? Just curious.

So currently I am in my first year, so I was planning on taking the MCAT after the spring semester of my second year. Then, in fall of third year I was thinking I would apply as if it was my last year of college. My desire to graduate early is not exactly due to finances, but rather an impatience I guess to get to medical school. I understand that most people take 4 or even more years to get to medical school, but with the amount of transfer credits I have it just seems very likely to me that I can make medical school.

With that said, I understand what you guys are saying. I am a little bit afraid I won't do so well on the MCAT if I rush everything, and I may not have enough EC's. All of what I put above is what I already have from just my first year of college, and that list will continue to grow as I continue my education.

I just want to know if it is possible to make medical school after 3 years considering what I have achieved so far, even if it is very difficult. I also want to know what you guys recommend.