First Year Vet Student, having trouble keeping up with material, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmedlouie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that to most people this comes naturally or you assume that if I'm struggling it's my fault and I'm not cut out for this. But I disagree, I know I am meant to be a Veterinarian.
I am just having a really hard time keeping up with all of the classwork and finding time to study all of the different course material. I'm going into my second semester with a low (very low) C. We need a C to pass to next year but I'm just so afraid I will do poorly on my exams.Also all of this is leading to really intense anxiety and insomnia which I rarely experienced in undergrad. I am seeking help but just really reaching to see if anyone else has experienced this and had any advice.
AND If anyone has any studying advice for the huge amount of Anatomy and Physiology first years encounter, trust me I would appreciate ANY of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that to most people this comes naturally or you assume that if I'm struggling it's my fault and I'm not cut out for this. But I disagree, I know I am meant to be a Veterinarian.
I am just having a really hard time keeping up with all of the classwork and finding time to study all of the different course material. I'm going into my second semester with a low (very low) C. We need a C to pass to next year but I'm just so afraid I will do poorly on my exams.Also all of this is leading to really intense anxiety and insomnia which I rarely experienced in undergrad. I am seeking help but just really reaching to see if anyone else has experienced this and had any advice.
AND If anyone has any studying advice for the huge amount of Anatomy and Physiology first years encounter, trust me I would appreciate ANY of it.
A lot of people struggle with the change to graduate school. You aren't alone

What you need to do is find a study method that works for you. It may mean going to lab and quizzing yourself on specimens or drawing and labeling your own pictures. While there is an overwhelming amount of information, if what you are doing isn't working, you need to change it up. Physiology was one of those subjects I had to relate to real life in order to "get it".

Good luck

What is your current study technique? Are you just reading and highlighting? Although that is what a lot of people do, that is the least effective study method and it eats up a lot of time. It is passive studying versus active studying (i.e. asking yourself questions as you study, explaining concepts out loud to other people, re-writing notes in your own words, making your own diagrams, mock exam questions, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Whoa hold up for a second. Vet school definitely does not come naturally for most people and it isn't at all unusual that you're struggling. It certainly doesn't mean you aren't cut out for this profession.

I'm going to echo the two posts above and say you need to seriously evaluate your study habits, and go a step further and look at your whole lifestyle. It's hard to give specific advice without knowing your situation, but here are some things to think about: Start identifying habits you may have that create more stress than you need. Do you try to study too much at once and then freak out? Do something different then. Don't just study for the sake of studying. If your study habits are stressing you out or cutting into a healthy sleep schedule, try something new. If you can't focus because you're stressed, don't just push through it. Stop studying and find a way to de-stress.

Do you study with other people? If so, how are they doing? If the people you study with are also getting C's, you're never going to do any better than that. Find people who are doing better than you and study with them. Like WTF said, study actively. Talk things over with your classmates. Staring at notes for hours on end may seem like a really intense way to study, but it's really just a massive time drain.

Probably the most important thing you can do right now is find a way to fight your fear. You can't perform if you're afraid. So first, go do something fun that has nothing to do with vet school. Then when you're done, come back and come up with a detailed plan of how you're going to approach your classes in a way that will allow you to be physically and emotionally healthy. Then use that plan to give you confidence that you can succeed.

Thank you everyone who responded it makes me feel so much better. I was just freaking out last night and I really agree that I am just fearful and need to calm down. I think that its been building up because I feel isolated, the friends that I have in school are doing fine. I usually try to re-listen to lectures and make outlines or if I have time make flash cards. I think that my stress cuts into really trying to apply what I'm learning into real life.

I really appreciate your words and I don't feel so alone anymore which is a big deal to me. Thank you.

Thank you everyone who responded it makes me feel so much better. I was just freaking out last night and I really agree that I am just fearful and need to calm down. I think that its been building up because I feel isolated, the friends that I have in school are doing fine. I usually try to re-listen to lectures and make outlines or if I have time make flash cards. I think that my stress cuts into really trying to apply what I'm learning into real life.

I really appreciate your words and I don't feel so alone anymore which is a big deal to me. Thank you.

Do you have activities outside of school? These are essential for staying in a positive mental state. If you are 100% work all the time you'll burn out.

And hey, I'll tell you a "secret". I got a D in second semester anatomy first year. Now I am am an anatomic pathologist ;) The meaning of the story being don't let your struggles define you. Use them to BUILD yourself. You are most definitely not alone. It is a very drastic change compared to undergrad and requires a lot of adapting.

Another secret - the friends you think are doing fine? They are just as scared as you are. They are putting on a happy-face-humble-brag in order to cope. They talk about their grades, brag about how much they are studying....it is bull****. EVERYONE in vet school is stressed. It's like Facebook....you only see ther "highlight reel" not the day to day struggles.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you have activities outside of school? These are essential for staying in a positive mental state. If you are 100% work all the time you'll burn out.

And hey, I'll tell you a "secret". I got a D in second semester anatomy first year. Now I am am an anatomic pathologist ;) The meaning of the story being don't let your struggles define you. Use them to BUILD yourself. You are most definitely not alone. It is a very drastic change compared to undergrad and requires a lot of adapting.

Another secret - the friends you think are doing fine? They are just as scared as you are. They are putting on a happy-face-humble-brag in order to cope. They talk about their grades, brag about how much they are studying....it is bull****. EVERYONE in vet school is stressed. It's like Facebook....you only see ther "highlight reel" not the day to day struggles.

Thank you so much for saying that. Its such an awful feeling thinking that I'm not cut out for it, but thank you for telling me that everyone has those fears. I really wish I could put into words how much your response means to me.

Thank you so much for saying that. Its such an awful feeling thinking that I'm not cut out for it, but thank you for telling me that everyone has those fears. I really wish I could put into words how much your response means to me.

I completely failed a course first year and had to retake an exam during the summer, I'm now in second semester third year. You are most definitely not alone.

Anatomy specifically is hard. But really,
I usually try to re-listen to lectures and make outlines or if I have time make flash cards.
this is all passive learning. And not the type that will stick. Especially for anatomy. Making outline or flash cards is less passive, but still, the crux of anatomy is visual. If you can, draw it and label it. If you can't, make multiple copies of each area. Color it, label it, whatever. Then go to a live specimen and make sure you can apply it. Then start to add the info to that. It makes a huge difference. The difference for me was a letter grade between semesters at vet school. And that can be a big deal

Reactions: 1 users
I feel you. I was in the same boat until the start of this block, and I’m a second year. You have to figure out what works for you, and for me that is something active. Idk how many "structure maps" I drew so that I could remember the location of all the arteries and veins, color coded notes or diagrams from lectures. I also would work with my classmates by going over the important points and discussing it with them. The professors are great tools to use as well; they want you to succeed, not fail, and really do care about you, which is completely different from the normal in undergrad. Now in my second year, we do some case studies and very visual learning in clinical pathology and radiology, which is great for me, as it is all visual, and life is a lot better. I make my studying active by color coding my notes, importing the outlines into a note reader (I use ghost reader) and listening to them as I read them, create tables/lists, take a colored piece of paper and put the big things on it for exams, etc. For anatomy I would also write out the anatomy lists and then write everything that attached/passed over-through, species differences as I wrote it out. Made me think about it, and allowed me to visual the structure on the specimen as I wrote the list.

For me, I attempt to get to "note zero" (where i have all the notes reviewed by the next day or at least by Sunday night) but that being said, I also usually take Friday night and Saturday off. I’m not productive at that time, despite my hardest efforts, so I use it to relax and do other life things (hang out with friends, clean house, chill with my dogs). You're a human first and vet students second, so don’t feel guilty for taking time for you. It keeps me sane and lowers my anxiety greatly. You have to take care of you so that you can be the best you to do school. This is why I hit the gym every morning before class, cook healthy food, watch my nutrition, and take time for me.

Don’t know if you have already looked into this or not, but also ask your academic or student affairs dean and see if there is a psychologist available. We have one that comes to the vet school twice a week and I meet with him about every now and then. He was a great resource and helps me manage my stress greatly. Dr. S is a great person for me to discuss school and personal life stuff with and is a great person for me to bounce things off of who has no vested interested in my career other than my mental health.

He also might be able to identify if there is an underlying problem (learning disability, mental health issue) that you might not be seeing (not saying you have one, but these issues spring up in vet school, commonly), and then direct you from there. Dr. S identified my learning disability that I didn’t see and just managed myself for years because “that’s how I learned” and life is SO much better now that I manage it with my medical doctor. I’m doing well in school again and my anxiety is way lower and I feel like a real human being for once, which is odd to say but is a great feeling.

Keep you chin up! It gets better and don’t be afraid to use your resources. You’ll figure it out; just find what works for you. Remember, you’re a human first, student second, and you’re only competing against yourself. Your classmates all have their own worries that you don’t even know about, so there is no shame in asking for help or taking care of you.

Sorry for the long winded response....

Reactions: 2 users
I feel you. I was in the same boat until the start of this block, and I’m a second year. You have to figure out what works for you, and for me that is something active. Idk how many "structure maps" I drew so that I could remember the location of all the arteries and veins, color coded notes or diagrams from lectures. I also would work with my classmates by going over the important points and discussing it with them. The professors are great tools to use as well; they want you to succeed, not fail, and really do care about you, which is completely different from the normal in undergrad. Now in my second year, we do some case studies and very visual learning in clinical pathology and radiology, which is great for me, as it is all visual, and life is a lot better. I make my studying active by color coding my notes, importing the outlines into a note reader (I use ghost reader) and listening to them as I read them, create tables/lists, take a colored piece of paper and put the big things on it for exams, etc. For anatomy I would also write out the anatomy lists and then write everything that attached/passed over-through, species differences as I wrote it out. Made me think about it, and allowed me to visual the structure on the specimen as I wrote the list.

For me, I attempt to get to "note zero" (where i have all the notes reviewed by the next day or at least by Sunday night) but that being said, I also usually take Friday night and Saturday off. I’m not productive at that time, despite my hardest efforts, so I use it to relax and do other life things (hang out with friends, clean house, chill with my dogs). You're a human first and vet students second, so don’t feel guilty for taking time for you. It keeps me sane and lowers my anxiety greatly. You have to take care of you so that you can be the best you to do school. This is why I hit the gym every morning before class, cook healthy food, watch my nutrition, and take time for me.

Don’t know if you have already looked into this or not, but also ask your academic or student affairs dean and see if there is a psychologist available. We have one that comes to the vet school twice a week and I meet with him about every now and then. He was a great resource and helps me manage my stress greatly. Dr. S is a great person for me to discuss school and personal life stuff with and is a great person for me to bounce things off of who has no vested interested in my career other than my mental health.

He also might be able to identify if there is an underlying problem (learning disability, mental health issue) that you might not be seeing (not saying you have one, but these issues spring up in vet school, commonly), and then direct you from there. Dr. S identified my learning disability that I didn’t see and just managed myself for years because “that’s how I learned” and life is SO much better now that I manage it with my medical doctor. I’m doing well in school again and my anxiety is way lower and I feel like a real human being for once, which is odd to say but is a great feeling.

Keep you chin up! It gets better and don’t be afraid to use your resources. You’ll figure it out; just find what works for you. Remember, you’re a human first, student second, and you’re only competing against yourself. Your classmates all have their own worries that you don’t even know about, so there is no shame in asking for help or taking care of you.

Sorry for the long winded response.... .

Thanks for your response! I have only seen an academic counselor, like a counselor available at the learning center at my University but I am going to bring up my anxiety and stress to him and I really think that it will help after hearing what you had to say about it. I love what someone said earlier that it's ok to not love Vet-School, but just love what will result from it. My main goal is to do well on my midterm and not get so far behind in my classes again for the final by keeping up with studying tools that you all have advised. :) thanks for the support. I feel so much healthier and happier after having a mental breakdown, I think I just needed a day to cry and eat junk food and now I'm back on track.

Thanks for your response! I have only seen an academic counselor, like a counselor available at the learning center at my University but I am going to bring up my anxiety and stress to him and I really think that it will help after hearing what you had to say about it. I love what someone said earlier that it's ok to not love Vet-School, but just love what will result from it. My main goal is to do well on my midterm and not get so far behind in my classes again for the final by keeping up with studying tools that you all have advised. :) thanks for the support. I feel so much healthier and happier after having a mental breakdown, I think I just needed a day to cry and eat junk food and now I'm back on track. .

you will likely need more than 1 of those days. Give yourself a break each week. At some point, studying becomes ineffective and is a waste of your time

Personally, I've found that leading a study group and basically teaching the material helps me the most. The key to study groups is coming prepared. You should have studied the material before hand. We use the study group time to reinforce ideas and concepts and make connections between different ideas. I always make an outline/do learning objectives before hand so I have all the material in an organized document, then we go through the outline and ask each other questions about the material. I try, as much as possible, to see the "big picture" and how all the little details fit in. It really makes a difference to understand why something happens instead of just memorizing. Yes, it takes more time to work through, but in the end it's easier because you can figure out theoretical options (ie what a mutation in a gene would cause) if you understand the process.

There are so many ways to study anatomy. This is what works for me. I make a list of everything I should be able to identify on each specimen for that unit. My first semester of anatomy was small animal and each lab period we would get introduced to new material. Thus I would come in to lab on my own 1-2 times per week on a non-test week to make sure I could identify everything. For the lecture part, I used the Colorado Canine Anatomy online website to quiz myself when I couldn't make it to lab. For the lecture portion, I would make flash cards. I honestly never echoed an anatomy lecture my first semester. This semester we are doing comparative anatomy and focusing on large animals. I still have a list of everything I should be able to identify in lab and I do echo lectures this semester (mostly because the professor does not have lecture notes this semester and I don't find the book helpful). We still have lab 3 days/week and 2 of those days we learn new material. One of the days is set up for review, so I use that time to ask the TAs/instructors about concepts I don't understand. I read my notes every day and for me if I can identify something on a specimen and then read about it in a book/notes I will remember it. Also, I purchased an online subscription to an anatomy website. Simply sitting there and listening to echos is fine to help clarify a concept, I would not use it as a sole method of studying. At my school we have an online drive that has old exams posted I use those to help me study as well. Also, our TAs set up practice pinnings, go to all of them (because the TAs took the class and the TAs I have make their pinnings harder than the exam pinnings).

Also, I know I can memorize large amounts of information as long as I make it active. Also, I love quizlet because you can make more flashcards in less time (and quizlet can make practice tests with them and memory games).

I found it helpful when I felt underwater to list everything I needed to do - review x lectures, study y, read z - and make myself a daily/weekly schedule outlining approximately when I was going to study, eat, sleep, etc. For one thing, checking off boxes is rewarding and makes you feel like you're getting somewhere. ;) But it also forces you to set aside time for those other things and be realistic about how much you can study without going insane. I was talking to a 2nd year who's feeling overwhelmed about our cumulative exam at the end of 2nd year and I told her - you're never going to study ALL the things, all the little details mentioned, etc., so make your plan and stick to it, at least roughly. It's better, IMHO, to go through all of the material at a high level than to get bogged down in spending so much time on one area that you don't get through the other stuff at all. If you've decided that you have X amount of time to spend on studying lectures from the past 2 days and something is taking up half of X, make note of what you still need to work on and MOVE ON. Keep a list of the topics that you didn't quite get, or that have a lot of details that are important to remember, and go back to those after you've gone through all the lectures at least once. Besides helping you get through everything before a reasonable bedtime*, there is evidence that we learn things better in multiple small study sessions than going over the same thing multiple times in one big session, so you'll get higher returns on time invested by rotating what you're studying.

*One thing that a lot of people in vet school ignore is that your number 1 priority should be taking care of your brain and body. It sounds cliche but you really can't focus and learn effectively if you're not feeling well or you're sleep deprived. As it is, vet school drives cortisol sky high, which is bad for learning. Make sure you're keeping a consistent sleep schedule, eating real food on a consistent schedule, drinking enough water, going to medical and counseling appointments as applicable, and exercising regularly. If you're finding yourself getting tense and worn out while studying, also take a minute to make sure you have good posture and take some deep breaths to counteract the shallow, panicked respiration of impending exam doom. A little time invested outside of study sessions will make your learning and your life that much better.

This is a fantastic thread! I will be starting vet school this Fall and have had a lot of self doubt about my study habits. I sometimes struggled in undergrad - not really sometimes, but a lot of the time with some science courses. When people say undergrad is so easy compared to veterinary school I get really worried that I'm just not cut out for veterinary school. Did any of you feel this sort of apprehension before going into veterinary school? This is honestly the biggest concern for me. The debt is an issue too, but I'm the type of person who really loves a challenge and takes failures as a chance to grow, however you don't get many chances to fail in veterinary school. I have a lot of anxiety about not performing well.

This is a fantastic thread! I will be starting vet school this Fall and have had a lot of self doubt about my study habits. I sometimes struggled in undergrad - not really sometimes, but a lot of the time with some science courses. When people say undergrad is so easy compared to veterinary school I get really worried that I'm just not cut out for veterinary school. Did any of you feel this sort of apprehension before going into veterinary school? This is honestly the biggest concern for me. The debt is an issue too, but I'm the type of person who really loves a challenge and takes failures as a chance to grow, however you don't get many chances to fail in veterinary school. I have a lot of anxiety about not performing well.

I felt that apprehension. All I can say is that you adjust, cope, and manage. It is doable. Keep reminding yourself that thousands of people have done it before you, thousands will after. It's not some superhuman feat or something - if you apply yourself you will be fine. Promise. It is harder than undergrad. And you will be amazed at how you adapt to handle it.

I felt that apprehension. All I can say is that you adjust, cope, and manage. It is doable. Keep reminding yourself that thousands of people have done it before you, thousands will after. It's not some superhuman feat or something - if you apply yourself you will be fine. Promise. It is harder than undergrad. And you will be amazed at how you adapt to handle it.
Thank you so much for these words. I really appreciate it. There is definitely still apprehension But I'm going to work my tail off To succeed. Thanks again!