Technology first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousnadd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone think that a pda would be worthless for a first year med student? i'll be starting in the fall and was wondering if it would be pointless for me to get a pda/phone...i'm not really sure all that i can do on a pda for medical purposes, esp only as a first year, so i wasnt sure if i should waste my money now or when i start doing clinical rotations 3rd year...

Members don't see this ad.

I have used a PDA since grad school and used it a lot in first and second year med school (particularly for keeping my schedule up to date, tracking my grades via a program called 4.0 student, taking notes in class with fold out keyboard, looking up countless words in Stedman's for PDA, looking up countless drugs in free epocrates, looking at netter drawings via netter software, studying material ANYWHERE with flashcards from a program called SuperMemo, reading my text books where I didn't want to carry them (palm version books - my palm should weigh in close to 100 pounds based on the amount of books I have on it)).

Keep in mind if you get one now you will need a new one most likely before you graduate (to keep up with the tech). If you are going to get one, the lowest model you should get is a Tungsten E2. Your next decision (after deciding whether or not to get a PDA) is how important wifi vs. phone option is to you. I do not think the treos have wifi ability but am not sure, but they do have phone internet connectivity which of course costs extra. If you're not going to use this thing to it's full capability then it may not be worth it for you. However, if your school is a case/problem based type I would think having all your sources within clickable reach would be extremely helpful as opposed to lugging books around all the time and I never once used a notebook to write notes throughout all of med school (if I wrote anything by hand it was on handouts provided).

Finally, do you really NEED it? Let me put it this way, you don't absolutley NEED any one particular thing in med school. You will hear people tell you all sorts of things. What's most important is what works for YOU, and for ME a PDA has been incredibly helpful.

-J

Hey there. I just finished up my second year and definately think you don't need a pda yet. I can't think of anything I would have used it for first or second year other than scheduling stuff...and for now at least I prefer to just right it down on the paper schedule we get each semester. My class did a palm tx order this Feb so I have had mine since then and have barely used it. It's a cool toy, but so far I have felt that I did not need it. We all ordered them together to get a discount and I do plan on using/needing it this July when we start rotations. Hopefully I will have all the programs on it figured out by then too :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I cant think of any reason to have a PDA in the first 2 years. I am only now looking to buy one for rotations. Save your money for textbooks...wait ...come to think of it.. you wont need all the textbooks either...

It is never too late or too early to get hold of a PDA. If I had the money when I was in Year One, I would have got one myself. But looking back these few years, I have gained knowledge in this field everyday.

So if you have the extra cash, go for a cheap one now. As days go by, you will be better and better in terms of which PDA you will go for next, and how to customise the PDA for your own need. When you graduate later on, you will be an intern with a strong PDA knowledge -- most doctors only start to learn about all these gadgets when they are really in need -- and they usually struggle! ;)