FITREP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RD88

Reaction score
Good day to all!

Recently, I was promoted to O-4, and I would like to begin planning for my promotion to O-5. My current position is chief of a small clinic. Since obtaining a higher leadership position at my current command is very challenging, I would like to concentrate on my clinical responsibilities for the first few years.
Just curious if it would be prudent for me to put off worrying about getting a higher leadership position until I am close to in zone for promotion. Despite being in a higher leadership position and performing well, I might only be permitted to receive a P (promotable, not MP/EP) for the first 2-3 years, correct? Does it matter if I don't receive competitive EP FITREPs for the first 2-3 years? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind your time as O-4 could be relatively short before you find yourself IZ for O-5. I pinned on O-4 on 1 Apr 2003, and my O-5 board convened in February 2007.

Thank you; I do understand. I will only receive one FITREP from the current command after I have been pinned on O-4, and if I extend for an additional year, I will only receive two FITREPs overall. Is it feasible to break out and get a competitive MP/EP on the 1st/2nd FITREP in a large command, even if you are fortunate to serve in higher leadership role and perform well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you; I do understand. I will only receive one FITREP from the current command after I have been pinned on O-4, and if I extend for an additional year, I will only receive two FITREPs overall. Is it feasible to break out and get a competitive MP/EP on the 1st/2nd FITREP in a large command, even if you are fortunate to serve in higher leadership role and perform well?
I think it’s feasible if your FITREP duties objectively narrate accomplishments with data ($ saved, clinic throughput improved, wait times reduced, etc.) in an area significant to the command’s primary mission. Ask for a high visibility role which can fully demonstrate your leadership potential of performing well at the next higher rank. Complete your PME, a common tie-breaker.

The promotion board will see a chronological matrix of your P/MP/EP marks. It’s OK to work your way up to EP as a new promote; you don’t want to slide backwards at the same command with the same rater.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user