Fixing healthcare is a multi-factorial problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Healthcare in the USA is ~$2.5T, when it should only cost ~$1.5T. To save $1.0T, I propose the following:

1. Increase the number of MDs in this country. We are importing 20% of our MDs from developing countries who need their MDs more than we do.
2. Increase the number of residency positions from~100,000 to ~150,000. Residents are a "windfall of revenue" for a hospital. Another words, they represent dirt-cheap labor, and provide FAR MORE BENEFITS than the cost that they incur.

The AMA control both of these variables.

3. Re-Evaluate physicians pay/compensation. Medicare and/or the insurance companies should do this. When I talk to MDs, they tell me this is very important.

4. Tax sodas, junk food, cigarettes, and fast food. This is not part of the healthcare system, but more the food and drugs of USA. The soda companies have annual revenues of ~$110B/year, and the fast foods about $80B in tobacco, and $110B/year on fast foods. This is about $300B total for factors which increase our likelihood of getting diabetes type II, in which we are 3x more likely than a non-American to suffer from. If we taxed this at 5%, there would be a <= $15B in revenues, but also diminished consumption of these items.

5. The cost savings associated with Americans consuming less soda, junkfoods, and tobacco should be $100Bs/year. We spend ~$300B a year on diabetes Type II, when we should be spending about $150B, IMO. These "life-style" type of diseases are all correlated, and if you mitigate one, you mitigate the other. So let's say that this could save $500B/year.

6. Socialized healthcare. Our efficiency could increase from 87% to 97% - a 10% savings in money. This amounts to $250B right here. Have a public OPTION.

7. 5% of people consume 50% of healthcare. Also, we spend 33% on the last 6 months of a person's life. These two figures go hand-and-hand. We should do something about this. I have no idea what, but here are some ideas:
a. We should view death and dying as natural parts of life. A MDs roll is not to make you immortal, and you shouldn't expect this either. Another words, an MD should turn down services to very old and very unhealthy people.

8. Monopolistic insurance sector is anti-competitive. Have your services on an exchange and create anti-collusion laws which makes it easier to shop around. This, too, will bring down costs.

Also, there are no dollar values for this, but it's my opinion:
1. For some reason, the 4th year MD students choose residency positions which already exist *AND* that they happen to be interested in. What's very surprising to me is that the acute shortage of PCPs is not reflected on the available match spots. Fix this up.
2. Decrease AMA's roll and increase MD and residency numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

Healthcare in the USA is ~$2.5T, when it should only cost ~$1.5T. To save $1.0T, I propose the following:

Where are these numbers coming from?

1. Increase the number of MDs in this country. We are importing 20% of our MDs from developing countries who need their MDs more than we do.
2. Increase the number of residency positions from~100,000 to ~150,000. Residents are a "windfall of revenue" for a hospital. Another words, they represent dirt-cheap labor, and provide FAR MORE BENEFITS than the cost that they incur.

The AMA control both of these variables.

False, and false. The AMA is fairly impotent as an organization. They do not control the number of med school seats, nor do they control the number of residency slots.

3. Re-Evaluate physicians pay/compensation. Medicare and/or the insurance companies should do this. When I talk to MDs, they tell me this is very important.

Supply vs. demand tends to work fairly well for other fields. Why is it not health care?

6. Socialized healthcare. Our efficiency could increase from 87% to 97% - a 10% savings in money. This amounts to $250B right here. Have a public OPTION.

Yes. Because the way to increase efficiency is any endeavor is to increase government control. Would be interested in knowing where these numbers come from, and how you exactly quantify "efficiency."

a. We should view death and dying as natural parts of life. A MDs roll is not to make you immortal, and you shouldn't expect this either. Another words, an MD should turn down services to very old and very unhealthy people.

Death squads are not an option that Americans find palatable.

8. Monopolistic insurance sector is anti-competitive. Have your services on an exchange and create anti-collusion laws which makes it easier to shop around. This, too, will bring down costs.

Doesn't this fly against your demand for socialized medicine?

Also, there are no dollar values for this, but it's my opinion:
1. For some reason, the 4th year MD students choose residency positions which already exist *AND* that they happen to be interested in. What's very surprising to me is that the acute shortage of PCPs is not reflected on the available match spots. Fix this up.

"Fix this up." Yes, because it's that easy.

2. Decrease AMA's roll and increase MD and residency numbers.

The AMA has little role in the number of MD graduates. They jointly run the LCME with the AAMC. The role of the LCME is the accreditation of med schools. They have high standards for this, as they should. Increasing the number of med school seats is difficult because:
1. It's VERY expensive for the medical school....
2. Meeting the accreditation standard is not an easy task... the school has to show that there are enough faculty members, training sites, and diversity of cases to adequately train med students.
3. Looking at those that don't make it to a US med school and go to the, say, Carribean. Carrib schools have a much lower USMLE pass rate and lower average score than US grads. To me, this is somewhat suggestive (Class B/C evidence?) that, perhaps, there aren't enough qualified applicants attempting to enter US med school to justify an increase in the number of seats.

The AMA has no role in the number of residency graduates. If you want more residency slots, you have to go to Medicare, which funds slots. What, you mean the government isn't the solution to all our problems?

Please stop posting fallacious statements as facts to support your political viewpoints. It's getting a bit tiring.

So, uh... is this typical of OP? Post multiple false statements, and then disappear for days/weeks at a time? My troll detector is blaring.

So, uh... is this typical of OP? Post multiple false statements, and then disappear for days/weeks at a time? My troll detector is blaring.

He's probably still working on his homework assignment from several months ago when he posted the same line of ****.

All of the above have been shown to be patently false assumptions. The only way to mearsurably "save money" via these mechanisms is to "withhold it".

Oh, if anyone cares to help him out -- the assignment was to discern the difference between an elbow and an ___________. :laugh: