Flexion - Movements in anterior direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

1. Flexions indicate movements in the anterior direction or forward direction. What exactly is meant by anterior direction? Anterior as in moving forward from my face? What does "forward" mean then, towards my face (assuming the body is seen as the center)? It seems like the latter is the correct for "forward", but I don't get it.

If I move the wrist forward (with the definition above being towards me) in the standard anatomical position, this would point my fingers back. Looking at the wrist, fingers point up. This is apparently extension. But if I move my arm towards me, then this is flexion. I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Don't think about flexion/extension relative to the anatomical position. Think of it in terms of individual joints and the angles the motion is creating. Flexion narrows the angle while extension widens the angle.

Eg. Knee flexion is actually "moving" posteriorly, if you want to talk in anatomical positioning. So it's simpler to think of it in terms of the angle of the knee getting smaller during flexion.

Not necessarily. Don't think about flexion/extension relative to the anatomical position. Think of it in terms of individual joints and the angles the motion is creating. Flexion narrows the angle while extension widens the angle.

Eg. Knee flexion is actually "moving" posteriorly, if you want to talk in anatomical positioning. So it's simpler to think of it in terms of the angle of the knee getting smaller during flexion.

I finished editing my post exactly when you answered lol. It's really this "forward" thing that's confusing me.

Yeah, it seems easier to think in angles but how do I apply that for finger extension/flexion? Looking at the digits the angle seems equal regardless of the motion.

Yeah, it seems easier to think in angles but how do I apply that for finger extension/flexion? Looking at the digits the angle seems equal regardless of the motion.
The angles are most definitely not equal for fingers during flexion and extension. When you're giving a high five, fingers are extended. When you make a fist, they're flexed. Those aren't the same angles for each joint of the fingers.