Flight surgeon navy training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applepear1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the navy so if someone can explain.
To be a flight surgeon in the navy, I already know u need an md. Let's say your an md and finished 1st year residency, then u go to NAMI in Pensacola for 6 months for flight surgery...
1. After FS training how long until you get stationed at your assigned base? When do you find out your actual billet and what is the average time length from graduating training and going to a base to be the actual FS?
2. 2 year operational tour does include missions and deployments?
3. You have to complete your 2 year tour first before going back to finishing residency correct?
4. What is the caseloads? (I assume it depend)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Billets are selected/assigned at NAMI. Transfer is to billet homeport station.
2. Yes. You can be deployed on arrival, even.
3. Generally, yes. They do not typically break orders. You might be extended at your existing billet to meet the next academic year start date.
4. "Caseload" depends on the billet, the size of the associated clinic, the numbers of other doctors and extenders, the op-tempo. Stateside, you might see 10-15 outpatients in a morning, sick call and physicals, or you might staff a walk-in urgent care, or see no patients and do admin stuff. On det/deployment you could be very busy--lots of high acuity cases, sometimes emergencies, and effectively be on call 24/7 for ED-level care and stabilizing/med-evacing cases that need admission. There were places I did trauma stabilizing (rollover MVAs, etc., pediatric emergencies) acute evals and radiography (renal stones, ureterograms, etc) some of which would even be beyond your training and comfort level, and not necessarily with backup of the kind you would have as a resident.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in the navy so if someone can explain.
To be a flight surgeon in the navy, I already know u need an md. Let's say your an md and finished 1st year residency, then u go to NAMI in Pensacola for 6 months for flight surgery...

We need to back up a moment ...

You're not in the Navy. You seem to think that the pre-requisite for being a Navy flight surgeon is to have a medical degree and be done with internship. You need to apply for a FS position through the military match system. The vast, vast majority of the time that means already being in the Navy via HPSP or USUHS.

It is possible for people not in the Navy to apply through the military match and join after being selected, but this is rare. Not everyone who applies to FS gets it; I suspect some civilian applying has poor odds.

(Also, joining in this way is kind of nuts for other reasons - you get yourself a period of obligated service but without he benefit of getting your school paid for.)

Maybe English isn't your first language, but it's hard to tell what you know and don't know, with the textspeak and messy grammar.

I do appreciate the responses. What I want to know is upon graduating training, do most FS go to their assigned bases right away- I assume they must as you just trained 6 months for operational forces. (Example do u start your tour a few weeks after training?

( I apologize for my English texting grammar)

(I want to know this if I were to be in navy)

Yes, with rare exception you will proceed directly to your next duty station. You can have varying amounts of leave, but there is no gap between the course and your next duty.

Thank you for your responses . A friend of mine is also considering this path so we were discussing the fact that you probably just go straight to a new base right after training but we weren't sure. I'm also guessing you can take some leave for the holiday ( Christmas break) break since it is a training. Anyhow, if there is anyone out there that would like to share their personal experience from training at NAMI penoscola fl and their tour of duty. It sounds like a very fulfilling path for career!