Florida MPJE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharad4342dr

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have decided to make a new post regarding the Florida MPJE. I wanted to create a place for people in similar positions to come together and hopefully help one and other pass the exam.

I wanted to begin with a few general questions if anybody can help!

1) Is the USF Pharmacy Law Exam online course worth investing in? (I have come across various study materials and personally do not feel as though the review course is worth it. Does anybody disagree?)

2) Is it really enough to just read the NOVA study guides as well as the different statutes/controlled substances act review guides? Or is there a more specific list of resources that one must DEFINITELY study before taking the exam?

3) Where is the best place to find relevant practice questions for the exam!

-I have many more questions but I feel as though this is a good enough way to start the thread. Please comment with any answers and I will begin to post my thoughts/materials as a response.

Thank you all. Happy studying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i just took my exam and found out i failed by 73! idk what to do now. I studied nova 2017 review, pharmacist DEA manual

Just a tip:

Please don't say: "Happy Studying!" This is not a happy circumstance for those that did not pass the MPJE. Be mindful of that. The pharmacy residents that adopt the saying: "Happy Studying!" are even more irritating because they copied it from the faculty. Most E-mails we received ended with "Happy Studying" as a closing remark: it's annoying.

If you are really here to help, then post materials to prepare for the FL MPJE exam as well as the FLBOP site with the most up-to-date information. We can use the recent passing rates as a quality measure to determine if the information you provide is useful or not for 2019. Create a thread of resources for each year as the laws change to keep your future "colleagues" up-to-date.

I would also like you to post information regarding what you mean by USF. People can be confused between the University of San Francisco and the University of South Florida. Thank you.

If you mean the University of South Florida, then they do not offer an online course for the MPJE. The only school that I know of that does is the University of Florida. I would research how comprehensive the University of Florida MPJE online course is. Keep in mind the online course may not have up-to-date information.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else studying for the Florida MPJE? gibmedamoney@yahoo(.)com
I am planning to give Florida law exam. I am a registered pharmacist in Kentucky trying to get FL license.I have no clue as to how to start and what to study. Please help and provide any information .
Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone! I just got approval to schedule my exam for Florida. I’m a registered pharmacist in California and was also previously registered in Virginia. I’m looking for anyone that has any insight on study materials, if you’ve taken the exam and have any insights? I’m planning on studying for about 10days-2 weeks before taking the exam, so if anyone has any helpful tips, I’d be more than appreciative. Thanks in advance!

I took the exam a couple weeks ago. All random questions. Maybe only 5% of what I studied was on it. The only tips I can give is know
-dispensing rules for controlled substances- also # of pills you can dispense if a prescription is written a certain way.
-what each USP chapter applies to for compounding.
-labeling requirements for bottles, repackaging, and prescription.
-PSE requirements.
-Rules for emergency kits- taking from/ closing/ who decide what drugs goes in it.
-Consult pharmacist responsibilities.
-Disciplinary action against a pharmacist for violating BOP rules. Also what is considered a violation- in state/out of state
-Record requirements- how long to keep and how often something needs to be done.
-Sterile compounding- expiration.
-Pharmacy permits.
-PDMP
-DEA forms

Good luck all!

Hello everyone! I just got approval to schedule my exam for Florida. I’m a registered pharmacist in California and was also previously registered in Virginia. I’m looking for anyone that has any insight on study materials, if you’ve taken the exam and have any insights? I’m planning on studying for about 10days-2 weeks before taking the exam, so if anyone has any helpful tips, I’d be more than appreciative. Thanks in advance!

I took the test 2 weeks ago and I passed and just got my Florida license today in the mail.
I studied for 2 -3 weeks. I read through all the statutes to get an idea. Studied Seamon notes, read DEA manual.
Most of my questions were on dispensing
Then had some about sterile compounding.

Most of the questions were tricky. Basically asking different scenarios in dispensing.

Hope it helps.

All the best!

Two books will help you, Strauss, and the latest federal law book. nothing more is needed.

what's edition you used? and That's for federal only, right? What did you use for Florida laws? Thanks

Strauss is specific to state law, federal is the reiss book 9th edition last i checked (purple softback cover)

Members don't see this ad :)
I used

1) Dr. Seamon's 2019 NOVA review.

2) Strauss (read about 70% of it) - some statutes are not updated and book is a bit chaotic but it does have useful explanations but also has some mistakes in it.

3) ExamMaster MPJE -FL : For me this was free and my school gave it. However, worth every penny IMO. Has really useful 120 test questions and DETAILED explanations with all statutes in rationale so you can look it up yourself. Went over this 3 times, I honestly think this test was the main reason I passed because questions are the exact style of MPJE.

4) PharmacyExams - I bought this just in case and went over 150 questions once.

I studied from June 25th (took NAPLEX day before) to July 2nd and took my test on July 3rd and just received my score a few days ago.

I scored an 81.

Maybe I over-prepared... not sure, but I wasn't willing to take the chance of being under-prepared and miss out on a month of income plus having to sit for the horrendous MPJE again. It's not a fun test to take. Very arbitrary and confusing questions. IMO a lot of passing this exam has NOTHING to do with knowing the law but rather your test taking skills. Some of the questions are worded in such a jacked up way that even if you know the law you still may get the question wrong. So I did my best to make sure I only had to take this sucker once. I know quite a few RPh's who failed it first time... and these we're people who scored above 120 on NAPLEX

Edit: My test had so little FEDERAL law that I am glad I just skimmed over the federal law. I felt like my test was at least 95% state law related. If you want to focus on FED law, I would say know the CSA 1970 in great detail.... and know your basic PPPA, HIPA, Durham-Hum, Kefauver-Harris but don't go over board on the FED, IMO

Hi there,
Gonna definitely buy ExamMaster MPJE. I also using the preMPJE exams since my friend gave me access to it. So you did not read the state specific statutes? and it is great that only studied for little over one week and still passed. Congratulations!!!

Can anyone provide any insight into how useful rxprep mpje modules and review is to the Florida mpje?

Just took my fl mpje, pretty sure I failed it. Anyone know roughly what % correct of questions correlated to a passing scaled score?

How did you get the Dr. Seamon notes? I’m wanting to start studying but that resource is the only one I cannot find. Thanks [email protected]
I used

2) Strauss (read about 70% of it) - some statutes are not updated and book is a bit chaotic but it does have useful explanations but also has some mistakes in it.

3) ExamMaster MPJE -FL : For me this was free and my school gave it. However, worth every penny IMO. Has really useful 120 test questions and DETAILED explanations with all statutes in rationale so you can look it up yourself. Went over this 3 times, I honestly think this test was the main reason I passed because questions are the exact style of MPJE.

I studied from June 25th (took NAPLEX day before) to July 2nd and took my test on July 3rd and just received my score a few days ago.

I scored an 81.

Maybe I over-prepared... not sure, but I wasn't willing to take the chance of being under-prepared and miss out on a month of income plus having to sit for the horrendous MPJE again. It's not a fun test to take. Very arbitrary and confusing questions. IMO a lot of passing this exam has NOTHING to do with knowing the law but rather your test taking skills. Some of the questions are worded in such a jacked up way that even if you know the law you still may get the question wrong. So I did my best to make sure I only had to take this sucker once. I know quite a few RPh's who failed it first time... and these we're people who scored above 120 on NAPLEX

Edit: My test had so little FEDERAL law that I am glad I just skimmed over the federal law. I felt like my test was at least 95% state law related. If you want to focus on FED law, I would say know the CSA 1970 in great detail.... and know your basic PPPA, HIPA, Durham-Hum, Kefauver-Harris but don't go over board on the FED, IMO

How did you get the Dr. Seamon notes? I have some older ones from 2017, but am unable to find updated ones. Thanks [email protected]

Passed the FL MPJE!

I took my exam on Monday July 22 and received my results by Friday July 26.

I'm currently working full-time in Texas and took about 3 weeks to study for the exam. I studied about an hour or so after work and a bulk of it on the weekend. Honestly, this is the most I've prepared for any MPJE (Also licensed in Texas and Alabama) and I walked out feeling like I failed the exam.

I read through the Florida's statues and admin codes and also used 3 question bank (RPhBuddy, passRXnow, and pharmacy exam)

Tips
--
Don't focus on the small details (Misdemeanor 2nd degree vs Felony 1st degree)
--There are K-type questions
--Know what is needed on Rx label, Rx script, and profile
--Barely any federal questions (didn't have anything on the different acts or medicaid requirements)
--Most questions are in regards to dispensing
--Questions are not straightforward (didn't have any easy rote memorization questions like how many hours of CE are required)

Question Bank
--RPhBuddy: good answer explanation (127 flashcards and 225 practice question)
--passRxnow: good mix of federal and state questions, but had a lot of repeat questions in their tests
--pharmacy exam: good answer explanation, but not a lot of questions (5 tests with 30 questions)

Hope this helps and good luck to those studying for the exam!

Hi All,

thank you for all your suggestions. My story is that I've been out of the pharmacy world for the past 3 years due to child care and family illness. Before that I was a hospital pharmacist in California. I've since moved to Florida and am hoping to go back to work. Do you have any suggestions which books and study materials should I start with? Thank you!

Can someone please explain how do I find Dr. Seamon's notes? I went to the suggested website that gyngyn posted and signed up the PPP website but which ones are the actual "dr. seamon's notes" that everyone keeps referring to? Can someone please send me the link?

Hi All,

thank you for all your suggestions. My story is that I've been out of the pharmacy world for the past 3 years due to child care and family illness. Before that I was a hospital pharmacist in California. I've since moved to Florida and am hoping to go back to work. Do you have any suggestions which books and study materials should I start with? Thank you!

The "STRAUSS" state law book and "latest edition federal (was 9th edition last time i looked, purple cover by streiss i believe) , take your time, know the concepts, and you should do fine.

I used

I scored an 81.

Where did you get the Seamon’s 2019 review?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Where can I purchase these books? I haven't been able to find them and the Strauss book on Amazon is out of stock. Thanks

Just a tip:

Please don't say: "Happy Studying!" This is not a happy circumstance for those that did not pass the MPJE. Be mindful of that. The pharmacy residents that adopt the saying: "Happy Studying!" are even more irritating because they copied it from the faculty. Most E-mails we received ended with "Happy Studying" as a closing remark: it's annoying.

If you are really here to help, then post materials to prepare for the FL MPJE exam as well as the FLBOP site with the most up-to-date information. We can use the recent passing rates as a quality measure to determine if the information you provide is useful or not for 2019. Create a thread of resources for each year as the laws change to keep your future "colleagues" up-to-date.

I would also like you to post information regarding what you mean by USF. People can be confused between the University of San Francisco and the University of South Florida. Thank you.

If you mean the University of South Florida, then they do not offer an online course for the MPJE. The only school that I know of that does is the University of Florida. I would research how comprehensive the University of Florida MPJE online course is. Keep in mind the online course may not have up-to-date information.
Does your school give you access to Access pharmacy by McGraw Hill. They are is a law study prep book just for Florida MPJE

Does your school give you access to Access pharmacy by McGraw Hill. They are is a law study prep book just for Florida MPJE

Thankfully they do and access was granted. I am seeking as many resources as possible, not just what the school offers.

My peers, however, have been silent on the matter. Too bad for them; most of them are stuck at CVS and Walgreens anyways and will not say anything unfavorable about their job even if they hate it. That is just the culture of the companies most pharmacists work for.

Why work for them anyways when most of the "good" employees will be gone in 1-3 years (bad management, unreasonable expectations, bad company morale, etcetera)? By the way, the Prep book is $95 on Amazon.com for a new copy (as of 01/07/2020 and it only carries one practice exam: you have to buy the rest.

Why waste my time with retail when there are many other avenues? So many individuals say how bad it is, so why do people work there and put up with it?

Last edited:
I am also starting my quest for a Florida endorsement, but can't seem to locate Dr Seamon's 2019 notes either. I clicked on the link someone posted above, but no luck. Can someone direct me to the right place? [email protected]

Thanks in advance!!
Danielle

I am also starting my quest for a Florida endorsement, but can't seem to locate Dr Seamon's 2019 notes either. I clicked on the link someone posted above, but no luck. Can someone direct me to the right place? [email protected]

Thanks in advance!!
Danielle

Use the "strauss" book for state specific law, and the latest federal book by reiss (purple soft cover i believe).... take 4-6 weeks of intensive study. go over several times , doing all questions... over and over....I never used seamon and did fine in 2012 using those 2 resources. Dont waste your time on practice tests (they charge a fortune for), they are garbage....the real test will be K-type questions, mostly scenarios of what would you do, or why or both.....etc. very tricky, you may walk out and start punching your steering wheel like me, then find out your scored high.... it's a test that is pure black and white law, re-arranged into questions that turn it grey, horrible test in my opinion. Every state is like that.....dont panic, rest well night before and days leading up, pop a monster before you go in and rock it out. get to work.... l8R

Thanks in advance!!
Danielle

STRAUSS FOR STATE AND THE REISS FOR FEDERAL. DONT NEED SEAMONS NOTES

STRAUSS FOR STATE AND THE REISS FOR FEDERAL. DONT NEED SEAMONS NOTES
Hey! That’s my professor from NOVA. His notes are good and he’s a nice guy. So if you email him, I’m sure he’d send you a copy.

By the way, are there still pharmacist jobs in Florida?

Hey! That’s my professor from NOVA. His notes are good and he’s a nice guy. So if you email him, I’m sure he’d send you a copy.

By the way, are there still pharmacist jobs in Florida?

Nova here too bro 2012, i just didnt bother....he is a cool guy...mathew seamon i recall right? it wont hurt to have his notes i suppose.

s

Thanks in advance!!
Danielle

I did not find Dr. Seamon's notes either. I passed and the exam didn't feel as hard as my previous ones have been. Bear in mind that I am licensed in other states and I have also been a pharmacy manager. Thus, I have a solid sense of federal law and patient safety. The previous MPJEs were also 90 questions each and having 120 questions just seemed easier.
After reading all the horror stories from SDN members who failed it multiple times, I decided to learn from their experience and make sure I would not fail this exam. Anyway, here is how I prepared.
First, I searched through all the SDN posts that referred to the FL MPJE and gathered key points and tips people mentioned. I compiled them all on a word doc.

I purchased the following resources:
  1. Pharmacy Exam: (worth it; especially if you read the explanations and derive other practice scenarios from the explanations)
  • Florida Pharmacy Law test (150 questions)
  • Federal Pharmacy Tests (total 450 questions)
  • Sterile Compounding & Hazardous Drugs test (150 questions).
2. RXpharmacist dot com (It has a very condensed outline. Your mileage may vary here. The questions are good BUT they repeat several
questions on the practice test.
3. Pre-MPJE from NABP (passed it)(It's only 40 questions but it's very much worth it)
4. Exam Master practice test - 120 questions. This is worth your purchase. Very good explanations.
**I thought of getting passrxnow but frankly, I did not have the time.

Aside from all of those resources, I actually read the statutes and kept a separate word document of key points; e.g.,
  • record keeping requirements,
  • notification requirements (e.g., when to notify the board, the DEA, within how many days etc.)
  • Age requirements
  • Quantity limits/ requirements
  • any exception to any rule.
  • Controlled substances (destruction, prescription requirements etc)
  • Label requirements (there is only one type of label that requires the pharmacy phone number on it. The quantity is also not required. Pay attention to those nuances)
I basically listed anything that was specific and that I know has come up on previous exams. I read this document every day. It was the first thing I did before starting a new chapter. You end up finding patterns on things like most records are kept for 4 years with a few exceptions.
I also used the MPJE blueprint to guide my studying.

I took the Florida Pharmacy Law test from pharmacy exam 3 times. Every time I took it, I would either deepen my understanding or find a nuance worth looking into.
I probably went overboard but I was not willing to risk it. Get comfortable with K-type questions and remember that "I and III are correct" is not an option. So if I and III are correct and you are pretty sure of that, then likely I, II & III are correct.
Definitely, read through the BOP website. Read through the FAQs and current issues. Those are helpful. You must dissect the Controlled Substances chapter. Florida has very specific laws and there's no guessing on them.
Make sure you know your pharmacy permits and think of questions and scenarios.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

*Just a quick edit to add that organizing information into table format worked really well for me. I did that with the drugs that pharmacists can order and that made it really easy to remember. I also did that with the Sodium Fluoride supplements that pharmacists can order. I also organized the Pharmacy permits into tables. Doing that made it really easy. So I guess, figure out a strategy that works for you. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! 2019 grad from a generic Midwest state and currently licensed RPh.

Just wanted to share my experience in preparing for the MPJE in Florida since I just took the exam. I had about an extra hour to spare and didn't use any breaks. As ALWAYS you walk out not knowing how you did and probably feel like you failed. That's natural. That's how I felt after my NAPLEX and home state MPJE. That's how I feel now. I passed both on the first try scoring above 100 on NAPLEX and high on my first MPJE. The MPJE consists of a bit of luck component because several of my straight A classmates failed their first attempts. Either way don't stress after the test!!!!

I paid for ExamMaster which helped but I felt like only about 25-30% of the MPJE was directly related to the ExamMaster's questions. Was it worth it? Meh maybe...if you have a lot of retail experience (I do), probably not, if money is no issue for you, then by all means use it. It is ONLY 120 questions and the exact same questions throughout the same 3 modes of learning. I bought into the website propaganda that it would be the only thing I needed to pass. I was the second highest MPJE score (that I know of) in my graduating class passing my home state MPJE. I did it on the first try with a similar program. I know I got cocky. Also I feel like you could really master the ExamMaster content in about 5 days or less.

Next I reviewed the USP 795/797 content from my 2019 RxPrep book. I had a few questions regarding BUD on sterile compounding. But of course, MPJE gonna MPJE and ask things in strange ways that make you question what you know. Nevertheless after deep consideration I believe I answered them correctly.

I then looked over a few things here and there my Florida RPh buddies sent me but it wasn't nearly as thorough or up to date as what ExamMaster was.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking back if I had to do it all over again this is what I would do.............READ ALL 171 PAGES OF FLORIDA PHARMACY LAW STATUTES.

And in case you missed it, READ ALL 171 PAGES OF FLORIDA PHARMACY LAW STATUTES. I'm not kidding!!!!

Why? Because there were lots of questions that ExamMaster didn't even touch. I doubt that any other program, Dr. SOANDSO notes, or test prep service covers sufficiently to pass by itself alone. Florida law is a lot harder than my home state because it's a desirable place to live. Besides we all want to follow the law and be the best practitioners as well.

Now I'm just waiting for my score and possibly 30 days to retake which I will begin preparing for now by READING ALL 171 PAGES OF FLORIDA PHARMACY LAW STATUTES because that's just what I do after each of these exams just in case but I will update with my PASS or FAIL status once I get my results.

Exam update: I passed my exam! Like I said you never feel good leaving one of these exams. I passed with an 81 so don't let self doubt get you down but for real read the law book!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
s

I did not find Dr. Seamon's notes either. I passed and the exam didn't feel as hard as my previous ones have been. Bear in mind that I am licensed in other states and I have also been a pharmacy manager. Thus, I have a solid sense of federal law and patient safety. The previous MPJEs were also 90 questions each and having 120 questions just seemed easier.
After reading all the horror stories from SDN members who failed it multiple times, I decided to learn from their experience and make sure I would not fail this exam. Anyway, here is how I prepared.
First, I searched through all the SDN posts that referred to the FL MPJE and gathered key points and tips people mentioned. I compiled them all on a word doc.

I purchased the following resources:
  1. Pharmacy Exam: (worth it; especially if you read the explanations and derive other practice scenarios from the explanations)
  • Florida Pharmacy Law test (150 questions)
  • Federal Pharmacy Tests (total 450 questions)
  • Sterile Compounding & Hazardous Drugs test (150 questions).
2. RXpharmacist dot com (It has a very condensed outline. Your mileage may vary here. The questions are good BUT they repeat several
questions on the practice test.
3. Pre-MPJE from NABP (passed it)(It's only 40 questions but it's very much worth it)
4. Exam Master practice test - 120 questions. This is worth your purchase. Very good explanations.
**I thought of getting passrxnow but frankly, I did not have the time.

Aside from all of those resources, I actually read the statutes and kept a separate word document of key points; e.g.,
  • record keeping requirements,
  • notification requirements (e.g., when to notify the board, the DEA, within how many days etc.)
  • Age requirements
  • Quantity limits/ requirements
  • any exception to any rule.
  • Controlled substances (destruction, prescription requirements etc)
  • Label requirements (there is only one type of label that requires the pharmacy phone number on it. The quantity is also not required. Pay attention to those nuances)
I basically listed anything that was specific and that I know has come up on previous exams. I read this document every day. It was the first thing I did before starting a new chapter. You end up finding patterns on things like most records are kept for 4 years with a few exceptions.
I also used the MPJE blueprint to guide my studying.

I took the Florida Pharmacy Law test from pharmacy exam 3 times. Every time I took it, I would either deepen my understanding or find a nuance worth looking into.
I probably went overboard but I was not willing to risk it. Get comfortable with K-type questions and remember that "I and III are correct" is not an option. So if I and III are correct and you are pretty sure of that, then likely I, II & III are correct.
Definitely, read through the BOP website. Read through the FAQs and current issues. Those are helpful. You must dissect the Controlled Substances chapter. Florida has very specific laws and there's no guessing on them.
Make sure you know your pharmacy permits and think of questions and scenarios.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

*Just a quick edit to add that organizing information into table format worked really well for me. I did that with the drugs that pharmacists can order and that made it really easy to remember. I also did that with the Sodium Fluoride supplements that pharmacists can order. I also organized the Pharmacy permits into tables. Doing that made it really easy. So I guess, figure out a strategy that works for you. :)

Thank you for these tidbits .. very helpful.

Hey just following up, has anyone used Dr. Cuties notes for Florida law? I was going to use the tl;dr as a review, but I saw above it was recommended to use Strauss for state and reiss for federal, but I cant find either one? Anyone have links please

I took my Florida MPJE on 6/7/21 - results were not posted this morning (6/14/21), but when I checked the NABP site this evening around 6:00 pm, the results were there. I passed! I walked out of there a week ago seriously thinking that I failed it! I have been licensed in TX since 2002, so this was my first law exam since then. I read through the 171 page Florida Pharmacy Rules/Regulations and I also read a review book I purchased on Amazon specifically for the Florida exam. I am so relieved!!! 😀
Also, the NABP did not send me an email saying the results were posted, so if you are awaiting results, just start checking the NABP site 7 days after taking the exam (like I said, my results were posted in the afternoon/evening).

Hey just following up, has anyone used Dr. Cuties notes for Florida law? I was going to use the tl;dr as a review, but I saw above it was recommended to use Strauss for state and reiss for federal, but I cant find either one? Anyone have links please
I'm using Dr Cutie's Notes but a little uncomfortable as a lot of the confusing points are just highlighted but not explained. Has Anyone used Only Dr. Cuties notes as sole resource and passed recently?

I took my Florida MPJE on 6/7/21 - results were not posted this morning (6/14/21), but when I checked the NABP site this evening around 6:00 pm, the results were there. I passed! I walked out of there a week ago seriously thinking that I failed it! I have been licensed in TX since 2002, so this was my first law exam since then. I read through the 171 page Florida Pharmacy Rules/Regulations and I also read a review book I purchased on Amazon specifically for the Florida exam. I am so relieved!!! 😀
Also, the NABP did not send me an email saying the results were posted, so if you are awaiting results, just start checking the NABP site 7 days after taking the exam (like I said, my results were posted in the afternoon/evening).
Hi Bonnie! First, congrats on passing!

Second, can you elaborate on the exam anymore? I'm a new grad from Illinois taking my exam in a week. I'm wondering if you had a good mix of federal/state questions or if it was more state? And if you had any tips on what to focus on with a week left. I've been studying for about a month, but still feel as though I'm under prepared. Any advice would be great! Thank you!