Florida to open a new medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another medical school will be opened at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) probably in 2011...This is good news for the Floridians and other premed students who would like to enjoy the beautiful weather of South Florida.
http://www.fau.edu/communications/mediarelations/Releases0410/041006.php

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand something. How's FAU hoping to admit its 1st class next year (Fall 2011) when it doesn't appear anywhere in the LCME accreditation site?

http://www.lcme.org/newschoolprocess.htm

I believe a school has to be in step 3 to begin soliciting students. Unless I'm missing something, it seems unlikely they'll rush from step 0 to step 3 in a year and a few months...

I don't understand something. How's FAU hoping to admit its 1st class next year (Fall 2011) when it doesn't appear anywhere in the LCME accreditation site?

http://www.lcme.org/newschoolprocess.htm

I believe a school has to be in step 3 to begin soliciting students. Unless I'm missing something, it seems unlikely they'll rush from step 0 to step 3 in a year and a few months...
i think they are already accredited, they've been teaching med students there for a few years, the only difference now is that they're dropping the UM affiliation

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, that would make sense. I have no clue about FL schools. There is speculation in another thread in this forum that the proposed Palm Beach Medical College might be in someway associated with this...

wish that they make their first class free for 4 years just as UCF did. :smuggrin:

"Starting in 2004, the Miller School began offering instruction on the campus of Florida Atlantic University (FAU) in Boca Raton, Florida approximately 60 miles north of the parent campus in Miami. FAU is a public university, and the State of Florida supported the Boca Raton program with an annual contribution of $15 million. MD candidates were admitted to either the Miami or Boca Raton programs and spent all for years studying on the selected campus. In April 2005, the Boca Raton program was expanded into a full four year medical degree program.

All graduates of the Boca Raton program received University of Miami degrees rather than FAU degrees. Full time Miller School clinical faculty, working with community-based faculty physicians at multiple Palm Beach County hospitals and clinics provided the supervision and venues for clinical training. Among these sites were Boca Raton Community Hospital, Bethesda Memorial Hospital, JFK Medical Center, and the West Palm Beach VA Medical Center"

I guess it is too bad for those who will get admitted this year. The Univ of Miami degree will be better recognized than one from FAU, even though they were essentially the same school for a while. I am curious how FAU will be ranked by US News...

This school is now listed on the LCME site.
it will also be offering a MD/PhD through the scripps florida institute.

can they realistically go from applicant to preliminary accreditation in just 2 months?

can they realistically go from applicant to preliminary accreditation in just 2 months?

i dont know, but i go to FAU and they send an email a week about whats going on.

it seems sketchy to me, but then again, if not, theyre saying 25% of the medical students will be able to do MD/PhD if they so desire.

id question it until LCME gives official word that theyve been upgraded.

Considering they were essentially a functioning medical school before hand, probably. I imagine much of the approval stuff required has already been done for the institution, so if all the paperwork is in order it can be a smooth process.

They've been talking about this for quite some time. I suspect that UM and FAU will still be pretty tight partners.

I do not think that FAU and UM will be pretty tight partners. Now, they are competing in terms of research dollars and top notch students..... The losers are the students. I would rather get a UM degree than a FAU degree. The latter is pretty much an unknown, and it will remain so for a long, long time.

Considering they were essentially a functioning medical school before hand, probably. I imagine much of the approval stuff required has already been done for the institution, so if all the paperwork is in order it can be a smooth process.

They've been talking about this for quite some time. I suspect that UM and FAU will still be pretty tight partners.

It wasn't a functioning med school in that UMiami was organizing the curriculum, supplying the funds, hiring the staff. It sounds like all FAU was doing was suppling the facilities for UM. They seem to be starting from scratch, save the logistical aspects.

It wasn't a functioning med school in that UMiami was organizing the curriculum, supplying the funds, hiring the staff. It sounds like all FAU was doing was suppling the facilities for UM. They seem to be starting from scratch, save the logistical aspects.

This was my impression as well. If that's the case, I'll also be a little surprised if FAU manages to get a medical school online by the date publicized. That's really quite fast.