fluent in many languages..huge advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

General knowledge

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. So lets assume a person is fluent in many languages such as Spanish/Chinese/french/ or similar. Would this be a huge advantage in medical school admissions and residency etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering. So lets assume a person is fluent in many languages such as Spanish/Chinese/french/ or similar. Would this be a huge advantage in medical school admissions and residency etc?

Would help for schools in Puerto Rico

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's certainly a huge advantage in life! Individual languages might help you out in certain geographies and with schools with specific mission statements.
I don't think you understand

Would it help? Sure
Is it going to make or break an application? Unlikely

Edit: This does depend on the school, albeit

Reactions: 1 user
Would it help? Sure

Not knowing Spanish kinda breaks an application in Puerto Rico

Would it help? Sure

Admissions committee's look favorably on many things that will never have an impact a candidate's ability to provide patient care. I would assume that something that does would be even more favorable

Admissions committee's look favorably on many things that will never have an impact a candidate's ability to provide patient care. I would assume that something that does would be even more favorable
I never denied that fact or stated anything to the contrary.

Will it help? Yes.
Will it make up for an app that is lacking elsewhere? Unlikely.

Perhaps you should volunteer with Spanish or French speaking populations now as a pre-med.

If you're able to speak with patients in other languages during your rotations during med school, it would make you extra helpful and possibly help get you a better grade, I would think

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fluent trilingual (native proficiency in all three languages) and it didn't so much as come up ONCE during any interview I've had so far. I highly doubt this is any advantage at all in admissions, but to echo everyone above, it's a huge bonus in life. Haven't found a detriment yet.

It will help, but it won't be anywhere near a "huge advantage".

I speak Spanish... most of my interviewers have talked about it in some sense... I don't feel like it gives me much of any "boost" though as nobody seems to really care much, which is ok because I don't expect much either. I honestly do think speaking another language is an undervalued skill though.

Just out of curiosity, OP, how many languages are you fluent in?

I think some schools want students who are fluent in certain languages but multilingual applicants can't be hard to come by. At least in my experience the majority of people i know speak more than one language and most speak at least 3. I speak a 2nd language very well and a 3rd poorly at best but it hasn't even been eluded to in any of my interviews.

I think some schools want students who are fluent in certain languages but multilingual applicants can't be hard to come by. At least in my experience the majority of people i know speak more than one language and most speak at least 3. I speak a 2nd language very well and a 3rd poorly at best but it hasn't even been eluded to in any of my interviews.
To be clear im speaking of ppl who learned a language on their own later not a Hispanic applicant who speaks Spanish. Also some languages are known for being extremely difficult to learn

To be clear im speaking of ppl who learned a language on their own later not a Hispanic applicant who speaks Spanish. Also some languages are known for being extremely difficult to learn
Well don't make any assumptions there... I learned my 2nd and 3rd in school. Spanish (i know i had an advantage here) and Arabic (love this language, it's soooo hard!). Though one is more useful to me than the other. And another thing, most people i know are Chinese or Indian. So by default they know more than one...and the Indians always 3 or more. Makes me sad though that i rarely get to talk to anyone in anything other than english.

Last edited:
Well don't make any assumptions there... I learned my 2nd and 3rd in school. Spanish (and i know i had an advantage here) and Arabic (love this language, it's soooo hard!). Though one is more useful to me than the other.
You also learned your first language in school.

Also dont be so defensive cuz was not assuming that u were in line my example. I was just adding details

Well don't make any assumptions there... I learned my 2nd and 3rd in school. Spanish (i know i had an advantage here) and Arabic (love this language, it's soooo hard!). Though one is more useful to me than the other. And another thing, most people i know are Chinese or Indian. So by default they know more than one...and the Indians always 3 or more. Makes me sad though that i rarely get to talk to anyone in anything other than english.
Not all Asians know their Asian language by default...you've heard of "whitewashed" Asians, haven't you?

Not all Asians know their Asian language by default...you've heard of "whitewashed" Asians, haven't you?
haha well no never heard that phrase...maybe i shouldn't have said by default but where i live it's just a given that they know. Just referring to my experiences and those i'm around. Obviously there are plenty of people who don't speak the language of their racial background (not sure that's the way to phrase it but it gets the point across i think).

Last edited:
You also learned your first language in school.

Also dont be so defensive cuz was not assuming that u were in line my example. I was just adding details
that's snarky... Maybe i should be more clear, i started studying them when i was in college (later in life enough?)

And i wasn't being defensive, just stating my experience.

Last edited:
It's certainly a huge advantage in life! Individual languages might help you out in certain geographies and with schools with specific mission statements.

It will help, but it won't be anywhere near a "huge advantage".

This.

Definitely a big advantage in life and for working as a physician.

Regarding med school admissions, knowing 3+ languages is an impressive EC but just remember it won't make up for a low GPA or MCAT.