Flunked verbal on retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplefaith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would love some advice. I retook the MCAT for the third time on Jan 23 and ended up getting the same overall score as my second time, but 3 points lower in verbal.

My past scores
10/10/10 - 30
10/10/12 - 32
13/7/12 - 32

My cGPA is 3.67

Due to my very consistent verbal scores (10-11) on every practice test, I put it on the back burner to focus on the sciences. I walked out thinking I would hit my average again, but was surprised to find a 7.

Do you think this would ruin my chances with MD schools? Would schools recognize the uncharacteristic performance based on my history or would they just take the 7 at face value? I'm also a Canadian applicant.

Thank you guys so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Not really sure why you retook that 32, the second score. It was a good balanced score. Look at schools that take the best MCAT (not most recent) because that 7 is not ideal.

Members don't see this ad :)
What province are you from? I hate to be the one to say this-but a 7VR is pretty much a shot in the foot for Canada.
The only schools you could apply to are Ottawa and Mcgill, which would have meant you'd need a GPA>3.9, unless you are a resident of not ON?

As a fellow Canadian, I understand the VR struggle. Took the test twice and still can't even apply to half the schools because I have a 10 in verbal :(

Wow, so they wouldn't take a 15/10/15 = 40?
The 11 VR cutoff is at UWO, a university in southern Ontario. The cutoff is based on all the applicants of that cycle, and the VR cutoff has been consistently 11 for the past few years. The positive is that if your GPA/MCAT are above the cutoff then you will most likely receive an interview invite.

Wow, so they wouldn't take a 15/10/15 = 40?
wouldn't even look at your application, actually I know of a few people like this who went to top tier US schools and never got any interviews in Canada. A lot of schools have an 11VR cutoff for out of province applicants too

Reactions: 1 user
wouldn't even look at your application, actually I know of a few people like this who went to top tier US schools and never got any interviews in Canada. A lot of schools have an 11VR cutoff for out of province applicants too

WOW, im completely ignorant about the Canadian medical admissions process etc. but why is the bar so high?

WOW, im completely ignorant about the Canadian medical admissions process etc. but why is the bar so high?
Yeah....side effects of a public health care and education system it seems. On the plus side it's pretty cheap tuition if you manage to get it.
Basically, unless you're from couple random provinces, you need a GPA >3.9, or a VR11 you're SOL...
So my 3.85 and 35 with 10VR is pretty usless and I'm applying to the states as well!