About the ads

Flying to US Interview from Carib

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by WTTL, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. WTTL

    WTTL

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2009
    Messages:
    94
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

    SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I was accepted to SGU for the January class.

    What I am currently planning on doing (I am a borderline applicant) is attending SGU. If I am called up for an interview in the states while in Grenada, could this cause any problems?
  2. Top Gun

    Top Gun

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2007
    Messages:
    1,386
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    If you think there is a chance you'll get an interview at a US medical school during that time, don't even attend SGU in January. Wait at least until you've received any letters of rejection or acceptance from US schools before deciding to attend SGU.
  3. PteFabulous

    PteFabulous

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    Messages:
    115
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There are also US school that will not accept you after you've started at another med school. This happened to a friend of mine who was called up for an interview at a US med school, but when they found out that she already started at Ross they told her she was no longer eligible.
  4. dragonfly99

    dragonfly99

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Messages:
    5,083
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Agree with above...if there's a chance you'll get interviews at US schools, just wait, at least until next summer. SGU and the other Carib schools will still be there in 6 months or 1 year and they'll still accept you at that time, if necessary.
  5. WTTL

    WTTL

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2009
    Messages:
    94
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the replies.

    Is US schools not accepting Caribbean attendees more of the rule or exception?
  6. Buzz Me

    Buzz Me Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2004
    Messages:
    1,864
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    More of the rule.
  7. dragonfly99

    dragonfly99

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Messages:
    5,083
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes. I've never even met anyone who transferred from a Caribbean school to a US school, though I know it happens very occasionally...probably more common to transfer to a DO school or one of the larger US MD schools, if a spot opens up. You should assume your chances of being able to do this are vanishingly small...like <1% I would assume. You should therefore exhaust all reasonable avenues to get into a US schools, and then consider Irish/Australian/caribbean AFTER that. If you are reasonably young, like 20's, and this was only your 1st shot at US schools and you got even 1 interview, or your application was borderline to be able to get into a US school, you should seriously consider trying again even for at least 1 more year before you bail for Caribbean. It's going to take you 7-11 years of training after you enter/start med school to finish your training, so waiting 1 extra year to attend a US school would be more than worth it in the pain and expense and aggravation you would save later...not to mention better chance of being able to do a specialty that you prefer versus maybe being forced into one of a handful of specialties (primary care, psych, peds, etc.) even if you decide you don't like it.
  8. oybello

    oybello

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    59
    Location:
    New York City
    Status:
    Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was in this exact same conundrum. I had below average stats for US MD schools and average for D.O. I was convinced I was not going to get any interviews, so I applied and got accepted to AUC. I even paid the $1600 deposit. A couple of months before I started, I decided that I was going to take the risk and differ my admission (even though I had not received any interviews. A couple of months after I was supposed to start, I got an osteopathic interview and I just finished with an allopathic interview. Point is, I still have my bird in hand at the Caribbean and I am doing all I can to get in here. It is well worth it, you don't want to find yourself wishing you would have been more patient. Having said all this, I am still without an acceptance yet from a U.S school, but I gave myself the chance, and I think you should do the same.

Share This Page


About the ads