FM and dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

june015b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the medicare reimbursement for primary care physicians (GP) get smaller, most of GP's are forced to see more patients and work longer hours with smaller paychecks. This trend will eventually lead to a bigger shortage of GP/family physicians in U.S. healthcare system. I hear that there are a increasing number of family physicians who also practice lucrative derm and cosmetic procedures and do extremely well financially. Many of them are apparently learning these cosmetics (botox, laser, collagen) and derm procedures (like skin bx) from conferences and courses after graduation. Can FM residencies train their residents more in dermatology?

Members don't see this ad.

As the medicare reimbursement for primary care physicians (GP) get smaller, most of GP's are forced to see more patients and work longer hours with smaller paychecks. This trend will eventually lead to a bigger shortage of GP/family physicians in U.S. healthcare system. I hear that there are a increasing number of family physicians who also practice lucrative derm and cosmetic procedures and do extremely well financially. Many of them are apparently learning these cosmetics (botox, laser, collagen) and derm procedures (like skin bx) from conferences and courses after graduation. Can FM residencies train their residents more in dermatology?

There are a number of things that deserve comment in your post, particularly those pertaining to reimbursement and salary, but most have been discussed here before, I so I will restrain myself.

Most residency programs allow 6-8 elective months in the 3 year residency. There is ample time there to explore whatever interests you in those months. It varies from program to program how much procedural experience you get, so be sure to ask about the specific procedures you are interested in when you interview.

As you mentioned, the procedures that are the supposed money-makers can be learned without too much effort at weekend seminars after you graduate. I would be surprised if many programs would dedicate valuable residency time and resources to teaching residents how to inject collagen into peoples' lips and wrinkles.

You may also be interested in "p4" programs--there are 20 or so of them across the country now. They integrate a 4th year into their program to allow residents more time to develop their skills in a chosen area.

http://www.transformed.com//p4.cfm

I hear that there are a increasing number of family physicians who also practice lucrative derm and cosmetic procedures and do extremely well financially.

Two points. First, that stuff bores the crap out of me. I didn't go to medical school so I could sit on a stool all day zapping pubic hair with a laser.

Second, everyone and their brother is doing cosmetic dermatology these days. You don't even have to be a doctor. Cosmetic derm is becoming a competitive arena, more like day spas than medicine, and you'd better be prepared to market yourself and your practice if you want to be successful.

Don't forget that one of the first things people will do to be more competitive is lower their prices. When that happens, you can kiss your massive profit margins goodbye.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've been hearing Primary Care reimburstment is actually on the rise and specialties are in for a decline in the near future.

From what I've been hearing Primary Care reimburstment is actually on the rise and specialties are in for a decline in the near future.

Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see. Do what job you want to do because you like it. If you want to make real big money then invest what little money ALL doctors make into real estate or something else.