Fm/Em

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cummingsmedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to and was selected to interview at the two Fm/Em residencies that I know about, in Louisiana and Delaware. Anybody out there have any ideas; ie. pros/cons, what to look out for, yada, yada...

Members don't see this ad.

I went to medical school at Shreveport, and I had an overall good experience with both departments there as a student. The FM/EM program there is honestly pretty good, and I considered it as an option when I was finalizing my specialty choice.

The FM program has some great faculty, very knowledgable bunch. A con for the family med program for me was that they don't have a very strong hospital presence. They tend to be much more clinic-oriented in their present state, and they do a good job there between regular visits and office procedures.

The EM program is outstanding. Faculty are great to work with, most of the residents I knew there were a great bunch, and their ER is ridiculously busy, so no shortage of learning there.

I ended up deciding on straight FM and went to a community-based, inpatient-heavy program, which is why I didn't go this route. But certainly, I think they have a great thing going with the combo program. Hope that helps a little for full disclosure.