FM programs guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikster13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a medical student from Puerto Rico. Recently graduated from an LCME accredited school here in the island. I'm looking for Family Medicine residencies in the US. My step 1 score is in the 190s and STEP 2 score (2nd attempt) in the 240s.

I've narrowed down the states/cities I wouldn't mind living in during residency. I've narrowed it down to Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, DC, Penssylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Texas and Chicago. I know that's a lot of states and they're all over the place haha. I would like to do my residency in an urban or suburban area. I'm a city girl so I don't really know if I can handle a super rural setting. I don't mind being in community hospitals as long as the teaching from the attendings is really good.

Since I don't know much about the good FM residencies in these states I have relied heavily on the SDN forums and the doximity residency ranking lists. Don't really know how accurate these are. I would really appreciate any guidance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet is to apply broadly. PR IS in the US, so your school and immigration status shouldn't be an issue. Your Step 2 failure is a bigger problem... apply broadly and see what happens... I am hoping you have more than just scores though, because they'll want to see awesome LORs and dean's letter...