FMG wanting to become PA - Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abiogenesis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated as a FMG in 2006, since then worked as Physician in India. Couple of years back moved to US permanently. I tried USMLE but could not find self discipline to sit at home and study for exams. I did not pass it. Now I am kind of depressed even thinking of trying whole USMLE and residency path. It looks like a distant dream. But I still want to be involved in patient care. So after some research, I have decided that PA would be a good option for me.

But I could not find any information about some one in my situation making this switch. I am not looking for any shortcut into the course. I have already made up mind about going through all the required prerequisites for PA school and then doing the whole course to get certified as PA. Nowadays I am getting classes done that most of PA schools require to be done in USA.

Is it good decision? Are there any better alternates? Would I able able to get admission after completing prerequisites into a good PA school? Also most worrying thing for me is when they Interview for admission, my MD degree might work against me? Any suggestions how to excel in that aspect of interviews?

Also I have completely given up on USMLE, it breaks my heart but then I think realistically that I need to get a concrete career going on as soon as possible as I can not afford to be in limbo for too long. I compared between 1) uncertainty of me passing USMLE and getting a residency 2) going to PA school and be able to have a good career in 3 years time. So far found PA to be more realistic goal. What you guys think? and tips?

Anything I might be missing that might put me on right path? Also my GPA from Med school is not great its not even 3.0 but now since I have started taking prerequisites, those classes I have completed, in all of them I got 4.0 GPA. Also recently I got certified as an EMT. So will work as volunteer in that also while doing classes and applying for PA school.

School I would apply next fall is DUKE, this scares me a bit, because its hard school to get into, but for me it works as best option. As I live nearby. What u guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Duke is a top 3 school. It would be very hard for you to get in there was a GPA less than 3.5. With your stats, apply to at least 5 schools, preferably 10.
There are schools known for taking FMGs. U. Of WA accepts a decent # every year for example.
post this at the pa forum at www.physicianassistantforum.com for a larger response than you will get here at sdn.

Thing is I have bought a house, which is near to Duke. So getting into Duke would make my life much easier than to say moving to a distant place. Although my second option then would be ECU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke probably gets > 1000 applications/yr for 80ish spots from some of the top pre-health students in the country, many of whom are current nurses and paramedics with extensive health care experience and gpas in the 3.7 range.
Bottom line, you can apply there of course but your chances of getting in are fairly low with a sub-3.5 gpa. you may need to move if you want to become a pa. many folks do.
here are the stats from last yr at Duke:
Admission to the Duke PA Program is very competitive. The following information describing recent candidates will allow prospective applicants to realistically assess their chances of admission, and to plan accordingly. For the PA class entering in 2014, 1130 CASPA applications were received. Two hundred and forty applicants were interviewed. Ninety applicants accepted the offer of admission for the Fall 2014 entering class. PA class size is typically 88 students per year.

The ranges of academic and experiential qualifications for the middle 50 percent of accepted applicants for Fall 2014 were as follows:

• Overall GPA: 3.3 – 3.7
  • Natural science GPA: 3.1 – 3.7
  • Total natural science hours: 42 – 73
  • GRE General Test scores:
    • Verbal: 153 – 161
    • Quantitative: 152 – 158
    • Analytical Writing: 4.0 – 4.5
  • Months of full-time patient care experience: 15 – 38

Reactions: 1 user
Duke probably gets > 1000 applications/yr for 80ish spots from some of the top pre-health students in the country, many of whom are current nurses and paramedics with extensive health care experience and gpas in the 3.7 range.
Bottom line, you can apply there of course but your chances of getting in are fairly low with a sub-3.5 gpa. you may need to move if you want to become a pa. many folks do.
here are the stats from last yr at Duke:
Admission to the Duke PA Program is very competitive. The following information describing recent candidates will allow prospective applicants to realistically assess their chances of admission, and to plan accordingly. For the PA class entering in 2014, 1130 CASPA applications were received. Two hundred and forty applicants were interviewed. Ninety applicants accepted the offer of admission for the Fall 2014 entering class. PA class size is typically 88 students per year.

The ranges of academic and experiential qualifications for the middle 50 percent of accepted applicants for Fall 2014 were as follows:

• Overall GPA: 3.3 – 3.7
  • Natural science GPA: 3.1 – 3.7
  • Total natural science hours: 42 – 73
  • GRE General Test scores:
    • Verbal: 153 – 161
    • Quantitative: 152 – 158
    • Analytical Writing: 4.0 – 4.5
  • Months of full-time patient care experience: 15 – 38

I saw that. But I was wondering with me having 4-5 years of Patient care experience, also I will gain some hours as an Emergency Tech till Fall, etc would be enough to override my GPA? or no? Also I will have done 30+ credit hours in USA with a GPA of 4.0, would be not good enough for these guys?

call them and ask. what you are doing is the equivalent of trying to get into Harvard law school based on a subpar gpa and extensive experience as a paralegal.
might work. might not.
Duke is ranked #1 or #2 of 180 PA schools every year. folks with 10 yrs experience and 3.7 gpas get rejected from there every year. they have 12-15 applicants for every seat every year. folks who think they are the cream of the crop and have stats to back that up. By all means, apply, but don't put all your hopes on 1 program which is a significant reach given your stats. apply broadly or you might never get in.

You might need to look into the 3-year NP program for foreign physicians at Florida International University... I think they give you a BSN (RN) degree after a year and you do the NP in another 2 years if you want to...

call them and ask. what you are doing is the equivalent of trying to get into Harvard law school based on a subpar gpa and extensive experience as a paralegal.
might work. might not.
Duke is ranked #1 or #2 of 180 PA schools every year. folks with 10 yrs experience and 3.7 gpas get rejected from there every year. they have 12-15 applicants for every seat every year. folks who think they are the cream of the crop and have stats to back that up. By all means, apply, but don't put all your hopes on 1 program which is a significant reach given your stats. apply broadly or you might never get in.

You are right. It looks improbable, thats why my second option would be East Carolina Uni.

You might need to look into the 3-year NP program for foreign physicians at Florida International University... I think they give you a BSN (RN) degree after a year and you do the NP in another 2 years if you want to...

How would that be better than doing PA? As I understand NP=PA so do I have anything to gain by going NP route compared to PA?

Also this is general question, what are options after getting PA done, like in MD they can specialize in various branches. Do PA have any thing like residencies or other programs that specialize you or make you better than an average PA?

You are right. It looks improbable, thats why my second option would be East Carolina Uni.

How would that be better than doing PA? As I understand NP=PA so do I have anything to gain by going NP route compared to PA?

Also this is general question, what are options after getting PA done, like in MD they can specialize in various branches. Do PA have any thing like residencies or other programs that specialize you or make you better than an average PA?
I really don't know how better that would be, but from what I heard, you probably won't have to take any prereqs. They only require the TOFFL (not sure about that spelling)... I know a FMG who passed all three boards and could not find residency and that was what he did and last time I talked to him, he told me he got a nice job making almost 6 figures...

I think PA has residencies, but I don't think you need it to practice in any specialty that one wants to practice, but it might give you an edge when looking for job IMO....

Last edited:
YES, there are optional PA residencies in most fields. see www.appap.org
You can also do a 3 yr PA to physician bridge as a PA, which is not open to NPs. The program is at lecom in lake erie, Pennsylvania.

Thank you guys for responses.

Do you think ECU is good second option for me? I can not try other schools in the area as they all require a Bachelors from USA itself, which I don`t have. They wont take an International one. ECU has tuition which I can afford.

Any other schools that ought to be considered? I wish I was open to entire country but thing is, I have to be able to afford it. When you get loans, if I have to, do they pay only for school tuition or it also takes care of your living costs?

My last worry is, Having a MD degree from outside, how do I swing it in my favor during Interviews? Any suggestions?

Thank you guys for responses.

Do you think ECU is good second option for me? I can not try other schools in the area as they all require a Bachelors from USA itself, which I don`t have. They wont take an International one. ECU has tuition which I can afford.

Any other schools that ought to be considered? I wish I was open to entire country but thing is, I have to be able to afford it. When you get loans, if I have to, do they pay only for school tuition or it also takes care of your living costs?

My last worry is, Having a MD degree from outside, how do I swing it in my favor during Interviews? Any suggestions?
I think your loan should take into account living cost, but it won't be a lot of money...

Have you checked out the assistant physician license in MO?

Have you checked out the assistant physician license in MO?

So would a sup. Physician train them a little or Instruct them to start them in this job? How would it work for people who have not learnt medicine in US?

Last edited:
Check out the previous threads. Have you taken the Najeeb course?

Check out the previous threads. Have you taken the Najeeb course?
what previous threads? I have not taken the course.

But thing is, I am pretty much done with USMLE, because even if I get through exams, now its too late to get a decent residency. And more time i invest in that and not get anywhere more I will become disillusioned with my life. So I want to start a career as soon as possible and be done with uncertainties.