"Food Abuse"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think medical students eat a lot of junk food and never have enough sleep. Does anyone has any opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

you are 100% correct. the sleep issue is a foregone conclusion. But it is much much worse during residency. Take a look at what is available to eat in hospitals after the cafeteria closes. Snickers bar.

It is very unhealthy. It is also rather hippocritical for the medical profession to treat med students and residents like they do and then tell the patients to eat less fat and sodium and get enough rest.

Well, you can thank managed care and the subsequent penny-pinching, corner-cutting Frankenstein system they have created. Once upon a time, hospital cafeterias at MINIMUM were open from very early am until 10pm or so. Then, they re-opened fro those of us who chose to work grave-yard...usually from 12am until 2~3am; and it wasn't just to pass out stuff the airlines wouldn't even serve! But those days are long since past. When i first worked in a hosp [circa '83] the senior citizens would line up on weekends like it was Luby's or a Wyatt's cafe...I mean all the way out the damned door. Now, you could toss a tube of poly-grip out in the middle of the floor and no one would even dive for it! Meaning, the food stinks and no one comes anymore....

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting comments from both of you, but thanks.

I think when we are in our residency, food is not a matter of choice anymore. All the residents just eat whatever can come to their hands during the short break they have.

Does bringing food from home works while you are on duty?

By the way, since medical school has started, I have gained weight. My metabolism is down to the minimum level. In undergrad and grad school, I still have to go from lecture hall to lecture hall. Now, we are like a sitting duck inside the lecture hall all morning and in lab all afternoon.

I wish, by the 3rd year, I can lose some weight.

Actually, the majority of my classmate gain weight during this whole year. So watch out ladies and gentlemen out there, if you are coming for medical school this fall, be aware of your diet and make schedule for exercise.

I think it's a matter of discipline and dedication. Speaking for myself, I've always took my nutrition and training very seriously. I was a competitive powerlifter in the latter years of high school and all throughout college. I've since stopped. However, what I found was that adequate and optimal nutrition played an integral role not only in my powerlifting but also in how well I performed in school. Rest in also extremely important. Nonetheless, I feel that good nutrition and sufficient rest can be obtained if one plans ahead and remains disciplined.

To solve the cafeteria problem, why not cook your lunch and/or dinner the day before and take it with you. It's best to feed your body 5-6 small meals throughout the day. This may seem impossible to most. However, how long does it take to drink a Met-RX shake or eat a PowerBar or PR Bar?

As for rest, try to get atleast six hours of sleep a night. I now at times this may be impossible to do, especially during residency. However, if you don't get enough sleep, taking a 20-30 minute nap can work wonders and make you feel refreshed.

I'll have to agree with kundun on this one. Medical school and residency make it that much harder to be in shape but it still is (and always was) a matter of dedication. I played basketball through all of high school but gained 31 lbs in the first couple years of University. I started working out November 1995 every other day and started eating way better (a lifestyle change, not a diet for the time). I lost almost 40 lbs. in 7 months and gained alot of strength. I then started working out everyday (different muscle groups each day). I'm in better shape than I've ever been in and I've never gained the fat back. Also, my marks were better in the latter years and I had three jobs. Doesn't Nova have a gym that's free for students Henry?

NOVA has very good facility and I also used it, but not too often. 2003 and kundun are right. I guess I need to go back to the gym again.

great topic Henry. I can sleep better knowing you have gained weight this year and know you should get to the gym. Also, now that I know managed care is indirectly responsible for poor dietary habits of hospital staff, I can include that in my letter to the president addressing what is wrong with health care today.

Thanks for your insight DogBoy, please be certain to include a "Hello" from me to Uncle Bill.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Will do OLD MAN, The more we speak out against this atocity of poor cafeteria foof the quicker the nation will embrace our cause and the sooner congress will enact laws and crack down on managed care. Besides once they hear Henry from Nova thinks school food stinks and has gained weight, how can they ignore us.

To Dogboy,

You need to get a life my friend. Don't you have anything better to do than to post snide, smart ass comments on this discussion board? Please don't try to defend yourself with another one of your sarcastic replies. I think you're a total joke. You can take that as a compliment or insult, I couldn't care less.

Kundun,

Actually, if you just take DogBoy with a very small grain of salt...he can be quite humorous! I can actually see him diligently scribbling a letter to Uncle Bill and Aunt Mon...er' Hillary [whoops, did I say that?]....
wink.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Kundun, I wasn't going to respnd again until you told me not to so sorry if I offend your sense of internet discussion forum etiquette. Maybe we can e-mail each other and possibly meet for a powerlifting session soon. What do you say Arnold?

Hi kundun, thanks for the support.

Dave, I agree with you 100%