Food allergies and examining patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princanator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a severe nut allergy and I'm wondering how people manage examining patients (particularly kids) when you dont know what they've eaten/touched. I'm more thinking along the lines of hospitals often having peanut butter available for patients and then me having to examine the patient. How do I avoid coming in contact with my allergen? Im concerned that gloves aren't going to be enough because kids can get all over the place. I'll keep my Epi-Pen with me of course, but having to use it would be a little more than inconvenient :)

I worked as a scribe in the past and the doctors would just let me leave the room when the kids were covered in peanut butter, but on clinical rotations (and basically for the rest of my career..) that's not gonna really be an option.

Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

There's this thing called asking
You'll be amazed at what you can find out when you talk to your patients and their caregivers

Reactions: 2 users
I worked as a scribe in the past and the doctors would just let me leave the room when the kids were covered in peanut butter, but on clinical rotations (and basically for the rest of my career..) that's not gonna really be an option.

Thanks for your help!!

Why not?