Food water and caffeine question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading the 2009 experiences thread leads me to believe that "lunch" is not an option. So how long can you take between sections? I finish with time to spare (usually 15 or 20 minutes). Can you "bank" that time for a 45 minute lunch between section 4 and 5, or are you required to start the next section within a given amount of time?

Also, what nutrients did you bring with you and how did you divide them up for breaks?

I'm thinking, water, coffee, and some form of power bars?

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno, my classmates and I mostly took much longer on the real USMLE than on any QBank questions, so don't count on having 15 mins to spare each section. Otherwise, yes, you bank the extra time into your break. Your break schedule is up to you, but if you run out of break, they cut time out of your last section.

I took a break between each section, and considering you need to sign-in/sign-out everytime, even a short break takes at least 6 minutes. I had little remaining breaktime.

Testing centers are different regarding drinks, mine wouldn't let me keep open drinks (coffee) in the locker, so I brought some canned sodas, etc. Drank it during the break and threw the remaining away. Granola bars and soda, mmm.

Reading the 2009 experiences thread leads me to believe that "brunch" is not an option. So how long can you take between sections? I finish with time to spare (usually 15 or 20 minutes). Can you "bank" that time for a 45 minute lunch between section 4 and 5, or are you required to start the next section within a given amount of time?

Last edited:
If you skip the tutorial, you have a total of 1 hour of break time, plus whatever time you have left-over at the end of the blocks (yes you can "bank" it).

I was able to take a short break (5 min) between each block and still had time for a leisurely lunch and stroll around the neighborhood after block 4.

Reading the 2009 experiences thread leads me to believe that "lunch" is not an option. So how long can you take between sections? I finish with time to spare (usually 15 or 20 minutes). Can you "bank" that time for a 45 minute lunch between section 4 and 5, or are you required to start the next section within a given amount of time?

Also, what nutrients did you bring with you and how did you divide them up for breaks?

I'm thinking, water, coffee, and some form of power bars?

You get plenty of time to break with 1 hour. I timed my lunch with only 20 minutes, 5 minutes eating, 5 minutes jogging around the block, and 10 minutes with my eyes closed. I would bring something that can be eaten safely cooled, like a cold sandwich you can get from Vons, and some Cliff bars that you can bite on every break to sustain your blood glucose. Don't bring coffee unless you are a heavy coffee drinker, because you will be so nervous it won't matter whether you drink coffee or not. Gatorade would be a better choice for between breaks, perhaps a red bull at the last 2 hours for a final burst of short-term energy. Good luck on your test.

Pack a lunch (a light sandwich or two) and leave the caffeine/nutrition bars out of the picture unless they are your regular food. There is plenty of time to munch between sections but not enough time to go far offsite for a formal meal. You wouldn't want to end up in "food coma" anyway.

In truth, what you do you snack on while studying? Use the same stuff and put some kind of water/hydrating beverage in your stash. Those test centers are pretty warm and dry. Other than that, don't get too fancy with worrying about energy drain and keeping a sugar/caffeine high. It's not that terrible and a quick bite of a PB & J or any other sandwich will keep you from dying of hunger.

You can take a short break after each section but I felt that if I was on a roll and moving well, I didn't break. I finished the exam in five hours and was out of there. That cold beer at the end of the day was the best reward for me along with having the test done.