For Admission in Doctor of Medicine which bachelor degree required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Voice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I want to ask something about admission in doctor of Medicine in neurology which degree required?
I mean (bachelor of science) or (bachelor of biomedicine) or (bachelor of Medicine and bachelor of surgery) or SOMETHING ELSE. Guide me please.. I am really in confusing condition.

I will be thankful to all of you.
Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

Lol wat.... I'm assuming your a international student. In the US people either get a BA or a BS. Any major is fine. There is no such thing as a MD in neurology. Everyone gets the same MD and then specialize through residency training.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no required type of degree in the United States. You can complete any degree, so long as you complete the required courses (chem, physics, orgo chem, bio, english, sociology, and psychology are the new MCAT requirements I believe). No degree looks better or worse, but some coursework might better prepare you overall to take the MCAT itself. Whether such a course of study is worth the likely lower GPA you will receive is entirely up to your personal discretion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
I want to ask something about admission in doctor of Medicine in neurology which degree required?
I mean (bachelor of science) or (bachelor of biomedicine) or (bachelor of Medicine and bachelor of surgery) or SOMETHING ELSE. Guide me please.. I am really in confusing condition.

I will be thankful to all of you.
Regards,

You can have a degree in underwater basket weaving and still apply as long as you rock the prerequisites, do well on the MCAT, prove that you're interested in medicine and can establish a premise that you can handle the course load with your accomplishments.

Besides that, not to discourage your curiosity, but you may want to use the search feature on SDN (or Google) first before making a thread to see if someone's already asked this type of question (chances are they have) =)

Reactions: 1 users
Are you in highschool? Or just started college? The major doesn't matter.

Yes I am international students.. I know for neurosurgery after Doctor of Medicine in neurology candidates selected by USMLE exams for residency programs. But I don't know how to get admission in Doctor of Medicine but I just know bachelor degree is required.

I am completing college, this is last year 2014 of undergraduate. One thing more in our country Doctor of Medicine (neurogy*) available but at post graduate level.. At graduate level MBBS and other bachelor degrees available here..

@Silent Voice
Are you trying to got to medical school in the US or in Pakistan?
From your previous posts, it seems like you are still in Pakistan. If that is true, then we cannot give you accurate advice here on how to get into Pakistani medical schools, since this forum is mainly for advice on how to get into medical school in the USA.
Medical education in the USA is different in several ways from medical education in other countries. So if you are interested in medical school in Pakistan, then it would be best to ask someone in your own country for advice.
If you are interested in medical education in the USA, then there are many issues you would need to deal with (such as visas and funding) than simply the qualifications.

Reactions: 1 users
For US medical schools, you need a bachelor degree, and usually one from a US school (or have at least completed some coursework at a US school). Upon graduation from medical school, you get an MD, and then go on to a residency in which you specialize (which is where you would get further training in Neurology).

International people who want to practice medicine in the US usually either start by going to college in the US, or try to apply directly to residency following graduation from medical school in their home country. The degree equivalent to an MD is a MBBS, while the Doctorate of Medicine in these countries is a research degree.

So if you already have an MBBS (or are in the process of earning one) and want to practice medicine in the US, you must complete Step 1 and Step 2 of the US Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE), and apply for ECFMG certification prior to applying for residency through ERAS and NRMP. You will not be allowed to practice medicine in the US without having completed a residency in the US or Canada.

Okay guys, I got it.. Now tell me details of residency programs e.g if candidate selected in USMLE then allow to practice in US then John Hopkins University or some other then here we got salary or we will pay fees like high schools or colleges. If we pay fees then how much or we get salary then how much! Please explain about residency programs I have no idea about it..

Okay guys, I got it.. Now tell me details of residency programs e.g if candidate selected in USMLE then allow to practice in US then John Hopkins University or some other then here we got salary or we will pay fees like high schools or colleges. If we pay fees then how much or we get salary then how much! Please explain about residency programs I have no idea about it..

The way it works here in US is that you do a baccalaureate degree first. Then you go to medical school, take the USMLE steps 1 and 2, and complete a medical doctorate (MD). Then you apply for residency and this is where you do your train in a particular specialty, such as neurology.

If you have a MBBS, a baccalaureate degree in other countries, however is considered equivalent to the MD in US, then you need to just take the USMLE steps 1 and 2 before you apply for residency.

You don't need to pay for residency, you have a salary that is given to you. Then after completion of residency, you can practice in the specialty that you have finished your training in.

Oh, really! After MBBS can I give USMLE all Steps! :) :-D & in how much years to complete all steps..?

Oh, really! After MBBS can I give USMLE all Steps! :) :-D & in how much years to complete all steps..?

Yes, if you already have your MBBS, all you need to do is take both step I and II (there are two parts to step II) and then apply to the residencies here. You need to do well on these, since you are a foreign graduate.

I am not too familiar with how quickly you can take step I and then step II, since I am a pre-medical student. I assume you can take them when you are ready. A medical student could probably better tell you the answer.

Two things.
1) You can theoretically take the steps as close together as you want. Most US students will take Step 1 after 2 years of med school, and take both parts of Step 2 during their fourth year, but foreign graduates frequently take Step 2 before step 1. Check out USMLE.org to figure out exactly what is on each test, because they will require a decent amount of studying.

2) If you are no longer in school, I'd advise you to study and take the exams sooner, rather than later, because there is some amount of discrimination in residency applicants who have several years between graduation from medical school and start of residency.

Furthermore, it is not simply a matter of passing the USMLE steps and getting a residency placement. You will have to apply with ECFMG (look it up) certification, attend interviews for residency placement, etc. It will take a minimum of a full year for you to do all this, and you still may not match into a residency program.

It is not easy to get a residency placement in the US, especially for foreign graduates. I suspect you will have some degree of difficulty with the testing, since your command of the English language is not great.

Reactions: 4 users
Two things.
1) You can theoretically take the steps as close together as you want. Most US students will take Step 1 after 2 years of med school, and take both parts of Step 2 during their fourth year, but foreign graduates frequently take Step 2 before step 1. Check out USMLE.org to figure out exactly what is on each test, because they will require a decent amount of studying.

2) If you are no longer in school, I'd advise you to study and take the exams sooner, rather than later, because there is some amount of discrimination in residency applicants who have several years between graduation from medical school and start of residency.

Furthermore, it is not simply a matter of passing the USMLE steps and getting a residency placement. You will have to apply with ECFMG (look it up) certification, attend interviews for residency placement, etc. It will take a minimum of a full year for you to do all this, and you still may not match into a residency program.

It is not easy to get a residency placement in the US, especially for foreign graduates. I suspect you will have some degree of difficulty with the testing, since your command of the English language is not great.

This is all true. Furthermore, many foreign medical graduates come to the U.S. for a research fellowship after completing their MBBS but before applying to residency programs, so that they will have a stronger residency application. These types of fellowships are frequently unpaid.

Honestly, people here are being nice. Just focus on staying in your country and going to medical school there and then afterwards decide what to do. It is already very difficult to get into medical school and being an international student you are competing for a very very small amount of spots mostly at the top schools (since those are the only ones who accept any albeit a small amount). Also, no offense, but your English is really poor. You will have ALOT of difficulty with the MCAT verbal and likely normal conversation in an interview setting if you are fortunate to receive them. I am not trying to be harsh just honest.

Honestly, people here are being nice. Just focus on staying in your country and going to medical school there and then afterwards decide what to do. It is already very difficult to get into medical school and being an international student you are competing for a very very small amount of spots mostly at the top schools (since those are the only ones who accept any albeit a small amount). Also, no offense, but your English is really poor. You will have ALOT of difficulty with the MCAT verbal and likely normal conversation in an interview setting if you are fortunate to receive them. I am not trying to be harsh just honest.

They should still try if they want to. Generally people who learn English in another country tend to understand and comprehend a lot more than they can articulate.

They should still try if they want to. Generally people who learn English in another country tend to understand and comprehend a lot more than they can articulate.

You are in the service industry. You are providing service to others meaning you need to speak, communicate, and understand your patients fully. Articulation by itself is feeble. I should know I am a medical student and you are constantly trying to better your communication skills. A handicap like OPs would be insane.

You are in the service industry. You are providing service to others meaning you need to speak, communicate, and understand your patients fully. Articulation by itself is feeble. I should know I am a medical student and you are constantly trying to better your communication skills. A handicap like OPs would be insane.

No, I understand, however OP and others can greatly increase their communication skills through immersion like going through med school here. A family member of mine finished med school in another country and came to the US for residency with minimal english skills and within 2-3 years he was very fluent and now has a great practice. Starting this process earlier would only make communication easier. OP already has the basic english skills, within a couple years they'd be just as capable of providing care as anyone else.

No, I understand, however OP and others can greatly increase their communication skills through immersion like going through med school here. A family member of mine finished med school in another country and came to the US for residency with minimal english skills and within 2-3 years he was very fluent and now has a great practice. Starting this process earlier would only make communication easier. OP already has the basic english skills, within a couple years they'd be just as capable of providing care as anyone else.

They have to pass Step 2 CS first, one of the components of which is spoken English fluency... the ability to properly counsel a patient on their disease process, prognosis, and/or treatment plan. Someone with minimal English skills would not be able to do this very well, especially with the changes that have led more and more American graduates to fail the exam.