For all the rejects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lasjy

Mr. Data
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey people,
how r u? i sent a pm to mrilani about this..... i had an idea to start a thread for those who got rejected and for rejects to display their stats......the simple reason being that those who wish to apply for dental schools in the future will know what their up against in terms of scores, application errors, late applications and various other criteria.

i'll start

rejected by u.penn and BU

stats part 1 - 86
TOEFL - 263
GPA - 3.53

possible causes of rejection - late applicationto u penn,

borderline part 1 score and lack of personal attendance of interview at boston U.( i gave a telephonic interview )

please send feedback or comments
i can firmly say that this poll is not meant to slander or discourage people from applying but to give other future applicants an idea what they are up against when they apply to dental schools in the US like me.

thanx
lasjy
:)

p.s. hey henna
ur pm box is full

Members don't see this ad.

I am rejected at Boston and U penn.
Stats
Part I 85
GPA 3.31
TOEFL 260

Possible Causes,
Low part I score and less preparation for the interveiw in BU.

Lasjy, do not give up hopes. i am sure we will get in next year.i think that this reject list is a good idea. it will definately give applicants an idea of the admission process and help future applicants too.

i got rejected at NYU (possibly due to a low GPA) and Upenn (do not know). i am on the waitlist at BU.

my stats are:
part1 :88
TOEFL: 287
GPA: 2.53

Congratulations to all those who got in and all the best to all of us who plan to reapply.

sanju

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice thread guys!..Thanks for this. I greatly appreciate it:clap: :clap:

DO NOT LOOSE HOPE AM SURE U WILL BE IN DENTAL SCHOOL IF NOT THIS YR THE NEXT YR:horns: :horns: :horns: :horns: :horns: :horns: :horns:

hi
i got rejet from nyu(low gpa)and upenn (low part one)
can i also ask people contributing to this thread wether they can also put forth their thoughts about what are they going to do next to improve their chances for next year....any suggestions are always welcome.
my stats
nbde-85
gpa-2.8
toefl-260

my scores
Prt 1-87,
gpa-2.63
toefl 250

applied to BU- went for the interview.Got a reject letter
Possible(obvious!!) cause- prt 1 score

applied to NYU- didnt get an interview call but recieved a reject leter straigtaway
Possible cause- GPA,toefl..??

Applied to Upenn,got an interview but reiceved a reject soon after!!
possible cause-
nuthing 'interesting' to note from my score sheet.
(...and cultural diversity issues :smuggrin: !!!!

hi guys

part 1 -83
tofel-267
gpa-2.44
part 2-79

got rejected from
usc
ucla
loma linda
ucsf

think the reason i got rejected was part 1 score is low very

hey people,
thanx to all those who r putting in their info here.
i wish i got more replies from other people.....some might still be on the way.

thanx also to mrilani for the idea and to dental doc for the support

merci beaucoup

lasjy

Hi to all of you!

What is actually considered a high or a low score??
I think 85 is pretty good!
The problem is, if you want to get admitted go and take NB2 also!!!

Tip
Contact the schools that rejected you and ask then on how you can improve your chances for the next academic year. ( Send them an e-mail).

thanks a lot.......
all the best and may GOD bless u..........
could u guys add the things u should have studied and not studied for better score......................that will really help the future exam takers.......
thanks

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections guys, but I'm sure you'll will crack the admissions process the second time round. All the best.
I'm sure this information will help all of you, and the new lot of people applying next year.

Cheers
Mrinalini

Hey Guys,
Really Sorry to hear about that one...just opened our eyes to how tough the scene is out there.I appreciate your willingness to contribute to this thread inspite of how hard it must be for you to accept the reply.Don't loose heart guys,we the SDN family are always with you...who knows the best oppurtunities might be waiting for you the next time around...after all Abraham Lincoln lost numerous times before he became the President of U.S.A....so one defeat does not seal your progress.Keep the fire burning.This one is for all of you.....

" I LIKE THE ODDS

THEY HELP ME GET EVEN.

Success has no address
No landmark
No calling card
But the path is steep
And some will take the elevator
But I will take the stairs
Some will get there faster
But I will get there stronger
And adversity will be my travelling companion
B'coz when I get there
I can turn to adversity & say
So long.
And heave the bag of taunts
& insults I gathered
along the way & scatter them to the birds.
I will miss them
But I will feel lighter
YES.
That will be the day
When I stand at
a large bay window
And unclench my fist
For there will be no more odds to conquer
NOT EVEN IN THE MIND!!"

This poem has lifted my spirits when I have felt the dark gloom surround me at times, so Cheer up buddies......PERSEVEARANCE PAYS! Our best wishes & prayers are always with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
just a thought !
students with low GPA ,
have u all tried WES [another organisaton like ECE]................
WES is considered to be liberal at its grading system ...........

and for students who flunked in 1 or 2 subjects during thier BDS course [which might effect GPA substantially]........try to get the consolidated mark list from ur college to camouflage the lost subjects and then try to get a GPA from WES......sometimes it work.............

It looks like I have the highest scores of all in here, but these are my stats:
Part I: 92
Part II:89
Toefl:263
GPA:3.5

So, here is my failure story:
Applied at Upenn, UCSF, and 3 AEGD programs(not a word from all of them)
UCSF didn't call me for interview(my guess is - weak SOP with the application)
Upenn - The interview was a complete disaster. I knew that, so after that I applied at BU, but too late - they told me that if I had applied earlier, I would get in, but now just made it to the alternate list.

So, folks, eat, drink and be merry. The future is Great Wide Open

Hi Folks,
Three cheers for the people who have the courage to post their stats here.It takes up a lot of courage to face defeat.
When I got rejected from UPenn I felt like a total failure,I still feel it to some extent but I am trying to look forward in life...Hope I receive the support from our excellent SDN family..
My stats
NDBE part I 94
gpa 3.91
Toefl 280
Got rejected from UPenn 'coz no work ex and late application...
take care folks and keep the faith...

Originally posted by BOGGU
Hey Guys,
" I LIKE THE ODDS

THEY HELP ME GET EVEN.

Success has no address
No landmark
No calling card
But the path is steep
And some will take the elevator
Nice poem Boggu:)

iam really sorry for all of you guys specially you pinktooth because i think your status is more than excellent but this is fate,god might be hiding somthing special for you.
iam wondering when have you graduated pinktooth?since our friend tasha graduated last year and got a spot in Upenn.

I was accepted at one school, but was rejected as well by others.
I applied to 5 schools, didn't hear from NYU and UPenn. Got rejected by BU 'cause I didn't meet their minimum requirement (which is 85).

From UCSF, I got two emails and one final rejection letter (which I assume is standard). Here's part of the last email, I hope this helps someone by "reading between the lines":

" You were only one of 250+ applicants for 24 positions in our entering 2004 IDP class. The IDP Admissions Committee looks at the overall profile of the applicants with particular interest in their NB Part I scores, TOEFL/summary essay scores, grades in required courses, dental experience outside of dental school, especially any practical experience in the US. After evaluating those variables, candidates are invited to interview and assessment in verbal communications skills as well as written and technical exams. It is from this cadre of applicants that the entering class is selected. The mere fact that you were not chosen as part of this small group, does not make you any less a desirable candidate for an advanced standing program....."

Here's the other email I got from them too:
"....For the twenty four positions available, we have more than two hundred fifty applicants...... Consequently, the Committee limited the number to be interviewed to the very high profile candidates."

I just have one word for you guys..............

Attachments

• pi-04.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 237
Originally posted by sam3
I just have one word for you guys..............
this is so encouraging sam3,thanks.

Yesterday I got my rejection letter from UIC, felt like a huge slap on my face, but kind of knew because of my scores.
NDB 1 - 80
NDB 2 - 75
TOEFL - 250
GPA - 3.10
I'm getting ready for step 1 in july again, hoping that i'll get a better score next time, than dec. step 2 again.:mad:

Originally posted by ivanBG
It looks like I have the highest scores of all in here, but these are my stats:
Part I: 92
Part II:89
Toefl:263
GPA:3.5

So, here is my failure story:
Applied at Upenn, UCSF, and 3 AEGD programs(not a word from all of them)
UCSF didn't call me for interview(my guess is - weak SOP with the application).---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about that. Don't loose hope.

What is SOP:idea: Can anyone clarify pls?

Originally posted by dentaldoc
What is SOP:idea: Can anyone clarify pls?

Statement of Purpose.

Hi,
My scores are

Part I 84
Toefl 247
gpa 2.67

I got rejected from UCLA, UCSF and UOP

Haven't heard from NYU yet.

Originally posted by meggs
Statement of Purpose.
----------------------------------

Thanks meggs.

So, Can any one give some tips about the SOP, I mean how to write a "good" SOP , what all points to include and things like that.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by toothlord
iam really sorry for all of you guys specially you pinktooth because i think your status is more than excellent but this is fate,god might be hiding somthing special for you.
iam wondering when have you graduated pinktooth?since our friend tasha graduated last year and got a spot in Upenn.
I completed my internship in Oct last year and applied at Upenn in Dec.( by the time I got my degree and arranged for the documents) and honestly before applying I had no Idea how much of competition I face or late application can be so deadly.
I assumed if the last date was jan 5th I was OK if I applied in Dec...Well my ignorance cost me a year..

Originally posted by pinktooth
...Well my ignorance cost me a year..

It is NOT over YET ,& allways remember there will be a "PLAN-B "

Hope God can show me the Plan B...

Originally posted by jojo-Z
Yesterday I got my rejection letter from UIC, felt like a huge slap on my face, but kind of knew because of my scores.
NDB 1 - 80
NDB 2 - 75
TOEFL - 250
GPA - 3.10
I'm getting ready for step 1 in july again, hoping that i'll get a better score next time, than dec. step 2 again.:mad:

hi jojoZ...
sorry to hear about that...
hey...i too attended uic interview...so far..dint hear anything from them....i am sure of my rejection...anyway...
i am also planning to repeat my part 1...
lets hope better luck next time...
good luck...

hi..my prayers for all of u.....

My Prayer For You

With all that is lost along the way,
May you remember what matters most,
May you see what you have instead of what
You do not any longer have,
May you find the courage to smile,
Grace to hold on to hope,
In the shadows of your sorrows
May you still find peace.
May you still know love,
May the strength of all that still remains
Resonate within you
May your heart be open
In all tenderness
To feel, to love, to know, to experience,
Life's little pleasures,
Peace for your journey,
Joy in the morning
And love everlasting.

----------------------------------

Thanks meggs.

So, Can any one give some tips about the SOP, I mean how to write a "good" SOP , what all points to include and things like that.

Thanks in advance.

Check the "Links of interest...." thread.

Originally posted by pinktooth
I completed my internship in Oct last year and applied at Upenn in Dec.( by the time I got my degree and arranged for the documents) and honestly before applying I had no Idea how much of competition I face or late application can be so deadly.
I assumed if the last date was jan 5th I was OK if I applied in Dec...Well my ignorance cost me a year..
well pinktooth, at this juncture 1 yr doesnt matter. r u a permanent resident? u can start working as an assistant somewhr.u can take ur part2 and be done with the exams. u still have bu results to fall back on and also case western,i think:confused: . dont worry.
my ignorance cost me 2 yrs.i took part 1 in 2002. i just studied for 1 and half months. i didnt even have my decks ,and wasnt even going to get one,till my friend mailed me a photocopy of it. i didnt think decks were important. neither did i think previous papers were.i just read textbooks. major mistake got only 87.last yr i didnt know u could apply with just part1,so i didnt. this yr ,i didnt realise part1 scores have to be above 90 to decently get into some school. here i am with no admission(sorry got into nyu)
even after 2 yrs of completeing internship. but these things happen and u learn frm mistakes. so dont be frustrated. i know its hard, who knows u might get in this yr itself. i will pray for u.

lasjy ,buddy i know u r going through the same thing.will pray for u too. all the best for u too.

Originally posted by meggs
Check the "Links of interest...." thread.

Thanks meggs. I did check that website. but still I need some advice & tips regarding SOP.

Hmm..I think I will start a new thread for this SOP.... but later

Now, back to books:sleep:

Hi Ann,
Thanks for the concern.I am neither a permanent resident nor a dependent here.I came here to stay with my only sister whose married here.I am on a tourist visa.
And am on an alternate list for CWRU and most probs BU so will ahve to go back to India ,look for a jo and firstly...look for a place to live..
Take care

Pinktooth :

When are you supposed to hear from CWRU ???

pink tooth all this while i was thinking you wree married like the several others here on thsi forum....hmm cheer up girl all is not lost ,u ahve great score u can join bu next year most definitely....its been more than 2 and half years since i graduated i am still not sure in what direction i am headed,everything will cometogether in time just be pateint or go on and pull sam's leg:p

:laugh: :laugh: ( I )will be honored to be pulled by her .

hi pinktooth, i knew u were staying with ur sis(one of the girls u interviewed with in upenn is my friend) but i thought atleast u might be a permanent resident here.
i think rather than being a dependent or visitor here ,its better to go back to india and gain experience ,which is so important, and which so many of the schools want.
but u might not have to resort to tht,BU is still giving out acceptances,so u have a good chance even now.
whn will u hear frm cwr?
good luck to u and dont worry.

yeah pinktooth.....till u hear from BU and CWRU u have the opportunity of going back to india and gaining experience .....that sure helps a hell lot.......atleast better than us who r dependents here and cant do anything till we get accepted somewhere.....:(

Hi pinktooth,
I am sure u will get the acceptence from BU this year.Few r being accepted still and don`t worry u too will get it.
good luck.

hi pinktooth,
I know this waiting is the worst part, but don't lose hopes, you'll definitely get into some school. Did you call nicole to ask whether your file was reviewed or not?
Did they tell about your position at cwru?
Good luck pinktooth
:thumbup:

hi Pinktooth,
Cheer up.....things will turn out well. I am praying for you.

hi pink tooth..........

dont worry..........u will get in this year..........u have good stats and ur a good student........god will give u the best.
all the best for ur result.

Thanks meggs. I did check that website. but still I need some advice & tips regarding SOP.

Google it then.

Cheer up Pinktooth. Think "whatever happened & gonna happen is for our own good":)

Good luck!

hi pinktooth
do not worry ,just keep ur fingers crossed and lets hope for the best.but be prepared for the good the worse...
btw what is CWRU :confused: :confused: :confused:

hi all,
I have the same story and having hard time facing it.

Rejected by ca schools...not even interview call.
rejection from u penn,boston.
part 1 86
part2 89
toefl-245
gpa-2.8
Any suggestions about improvement for next year.

Cheer up DDSFight...things will turn up soon...since you seem to open to improvement, it would be good to try and improve your toefl and part 1.Just a thought though.All the best with your efforts.:thumbup:
Doc redd CWRU is case western reserve university, ohio.