For anyone wanting to do Med/Dent/Pharm in Romania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimran91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I’m a third year dentistry student at UMF Iasi (GT Popa). I transferred from Czech Republic because it’s cheaper here and the system is easier. I have been here for 3 months now so I understand the place well.

Lots of people are asking me if I can help them apply to UMF Iasi. Im here to help you and we will sort out your documents, the legalising and apostilling process, submit your application to the university, pick you up from the airport, help you find accommodation, help you open a bank account, get a sim card, get extra luggage sent over from your home country and anything else you need help with. Things like getting a sim card may seem small but because of the beauracracy here, it could take a whole day just to get a prepaid sim card!

Heres some info on UMF Iasi and the university life.

- University tuition fee is just €5000 (probably cheapest in the EU) and can be paid in monthly instalments if need

- Living cost is very cheap - you can live the whole year, rent and living cost included, for just €1800 if you want to save money. But if you want to live like a king, go out every day, eat out every day, then it’ll only cost you €4000 in total. For example a chicken shawarma wrap costs just €2 and a cinema ticket costs just €4

- The pass mark is 50%. Its slightly more than the UK where its 40% everywhere but this is very good considering in Czech Republic it was 70% and passing was unbelievably hard! The system is better I think. Also, you only need 45 credits out of 60 to pass the year. This means that you don’t need to pass every subject to progress (but it’s good to pass everything in that because you will still have to make it up later and will have to pay 80 euros per credit you retake)

- If you study you will pass. The system is simple like that. I have not met one person who has had to repeat the year. In comparison I know a lot of unis in Hungary, Czech Republic and Poland where the students themselves say that the system works against you and its normal to fail the year.

- You can get around 4-5 months holidays throughout the year. The academic year starts in October, you get 1 month for Christmas, 1 month for Easter and the year ends in June so that 3 months for summer holidays. Its actually 2 weeks for each but we talk to our professors and cover all the material in extra classes so we can take a week off either side and end up with a month off. Also if you do well in exams you can get 2 weeks at the end of February after winter exams and 2 weeks at the end of June after summer exams.

- City is big, cheap and student orientated – most of the city is made up of students so there are lots of things to do here. You will definitely not get bored!

So if any of you want to apply here then please contact me and ill tell you what to do. Its not hard but its very long and tedious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a summary I did of my first few weeks in this place. It might help give you an idea:

Iasi is a proper city, about 300,000 population. It’s a proper student place. There are 12 universities in the city and about 80,000 students. In each year of UMF-Iasi (University of Medicine and Pharmacy) there are 1000 students. Students come from everywhere - Greece, Canada, USA, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India, Malaysia, Kuwait, Norway, Palestine, UK, Ireland, Iran and more.

It's quite Americanised, they have malls and shopping centres, yellow Taxis, food courts, wide roads etc. And there's a lot of work going on here as well. Taxis are very cheap. A 10 minute trip to the mosque or mall costs little more than €1.5. This place is big enough to be using Taxis frequently though.

There are a lot of food places to go to. You can choose between Italian, Turkish, Lebanese, American, Chinese and they have all the big chains like McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Starbucks etc

Life here is too relaxed though. The people here like to take their time. If they don't feel like doing something they won't do it. But if they next guy after you wanted the same thing, they will do it for him! They also get annoyed easily as well and it doesn’t take much for them to start complaining.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Imran,

I understand this thread is two years old. I am wondering if you are still available to help. Could you tell me what is the admission requirement for this university for MBBS? Is it possible to take admission with 60% marks in FSc. I just looked at their website and found that they require 80% from Pakistani students. A I reading it correctly?

Thanks for your help.

hi there, i am already a third year medical student studying in Ukraine and i would like some help and guidance regarding transfer to Romania (Gr . Popa medical University). please get bk to me asap.

kind regards

hi there, i am already a third year medical student studying in Ukraine and i would like some help and guidance regarding transfer to Romania (Gr . Popa medical University). please get bk to me asap.

kind regards