For current SMPer's that are applying this cycle, do schools actually wait for 1st semester grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invisibleman023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this question because I've gotten one interview invite with complete silence from the rest (around 20). I was complete mid-august to early september for all schools.

The optimist in me says that they are just waiting for my grades and haven't neccesarily rejected me yet. The pessimist says they don't care and this is going to be an abysmal application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

An SMP's biggest impact on one's odds come in the cycle after completing the full program creditably if you had a challenged GPA without a steep upward grade trend for at least a year before applying. From what I've observed, it is typical for school's who like the rest of your application to ask for an official transcript after fall term. You'd probably be wise to send one to all the rest as well.

As for the relative silence you're experiencing, it could also be due to the fact that you became complete at schools relatively late in the cycle and they haven't yet reviewed applications in that part of the pile yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a SMP ish program (masters in med sciences that I've smooshed into one year), but I've gotten some love from my IS schools. Also, while my GPA is below average, there's the steep upward trend that the above poster mentioned.

If you're not rejected, you're not out of the game, so I wouldn't lose hope! I know several people that were accepted by the host school of the smp after their first semester grades, so it is very possible that they are waiting to see how you performed.

But! Focus on doing well, not dwelling on interviews, because these grad programs are but kickers! :bookworm:

Members don't see this ad :)
An SMP's biggest impact on one's odds come in the cycle after completing the full program creditably if you had a challenged GPA without a steep upward grade trend for at least a year before applying.

So what if I had a steep upward grade trend for my senior year? I had a 3.7 GPA my senior year (total uGPA: 3.35 and 35 MCAT). So I was hoping that a semester of an SMP would quench concerns about handling medical school course load. And when I send my transcript, should I include some sort of Letter of Interest or update? Many schools I've applied to seem to have a policy against sending them updates before an interview invite.

1) So what if I had a steep upward grade trend for my senior year? I had a 3.7 GPA my senior year (total uGPA: 3.35 and 35 MCAT). So I was hoping that a semester of an SMP would quench concerns about handling medical school course load.
2) And when I send my transcript, should I include some sort of Letter of Interest or update? Many schools I've applied to seem to have a policy against sending them updates before an interview invite.
1) Your application is probably in a pile where someone needs to microanalyze your transcript to see what potential they can infer from recent great grades, difficulty of classes taken, and total course load. If concern remains, then the SMP transcript will (hopefully) help allay them.

2) To be clear, you should not send the transcript. It needs to come directly from the Registrar to be "official." In that same timeframe, an update letter/letter of continued interest in the school should be sent to schools that allow them. Hopefully, you didn't apply to schools that do not allow any supplemental submissions until after interviews, so that at the least, the transcript will get through.

Reactions: 1 user