General Admissions & OTCAS For Fall 2016 applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTseeker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I graduated last year but did not get accepted into this year's OT cycle. Should I apply again? What are my chances?

Exercise Science Major, Sociology Minor
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Pre reqs: 3.29

I applied to these locations but did not get accepted.
University of Minnesota Rochester and Twin cities
St Catherine University
Governor state university
Concordia University of Wisconsin
Midwestern University
College of St. Scholastica

I have 75+ hours in OT observations (in-patient, out patient, school settings).
Volunteered:
30+ hours for one on one sessions (nursing home)
30+ hours in aquatic pool therapy
20+ hours in a mentoring program for individuals with disabilities

Served as Treasure for school club, and 40+ hours for other volunteer opportunities around campus and the community. Also participated in graduate research studies.

My grades are probably the lowest around here. Should I still apply the following year? If I should, what are some of the schools that I should consider?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're serious about OT I would say apply again. I was fortunate enough to get in my first time applying but I know many people reapply and get in.

Also, if you are more serious, I think you should apply to a few more schools, perhaps some that are non-OTCAS as well (UND, Western Michigan, etc.) you can message me if you have any other questions

If OT is really what you want to do you should definitely reapply. I had to apply twice too, but my second time around I decided to have a back-up plan so in addition to applying to OT school, I also applied to social work programs. I didn't want to apply more than twice and I knew that I would also enjoy social work. Anyway, I think you should look at Salus and Chatham University and any other schools that require interviews as apart of their application. Interviews can really help!! ... I also applied to St. Catherine University and was rejected, but Salus and Chatham accepted me.

Don't get too discouraged about your GPA I've seen many replies on this forum with people saying they had low GPAs and was accepted into OT schools. Also, you should take the GRE and try to get at least 50%.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Hello,
I graduated last year but did not get accepted into this year's OT cycle. Should I apply again? What are my chances?

Exercise Science Major, Sociology Minor
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Pre reqs: 3.29

I applied to these locations but did not get accepted.
University of Minnesota Rochester and Twin cities
St Catherine University
Governor state university
Concordia University of Wisconsin
Midwestern University
College of St. Scholastica

I have 75+ hours in OT observations (in-patient, out patient, school settings).
Volunteered:
30+ hours for one on one sessions (nursing home)
30+ hours in aquatic pool therapy
20+ hours in a mentoring program for individuals with disabilities

Served as Treasure for school club, and 40+ hours for other volunteer opportunities around campus and the community. Also participated in graduate research studies.

My grades are probably the lowest around here. Should I still apply the following year? If I should, what are some of the schools that I should consider?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're serious about OT I would say apply again. I was fortunate enough to get in my first time applying but I know many people reapply and get in.

Also, if you are more serious, I think you should apply to a few more schools, perhaps some that are non-OTCAS as well (UND, Western Michigan, etc.) you can message me if you have any other questions

I would very much like to be an OT. I've shadowed at various locations and to be honest I really enjoyed them all. I've checked UND but I don't have one of the pre-reqs (Intro to OT) and I don't think I can fulfill that in the few months that I have left. I've also heard that Schools that aren't part of OTCAS receive less applicants. This time around I will apply to more schools and hopefully I get in.

UND has an online intro to OT course in the fall and spring. Applications aren't due until dec-ish. So you can definitely get that done, or take it in the spring (this is what I did and was still accepted before finishing)

Definitely apply again! In the meantime keep shadowing at different settings and write your personal statement early and have lots of people from different fields review it. Retake the gre if your scores could improve and take a second look at your references to see if you might know someone better. You could also call the schools to ask for suggestions on how you can improve the strength of your application. Be sure to not ask specifically about your rejection, but rather say something like, "hi I applied last cycle and was not accepted, can you give me an idea of what a strong applicant looks like".

I also second the suggestion to apply to non-otcas schools. you can also check out otd programs and those that are in their final stages of accreditation. (Might get some financial aid offers too ;) )

I would very much like to be an OT. I've shadowed at various locations and to be honest I really enjoyed them all. I've checked UND but I don't have one of the pre-reqs (Intro to OT) and I don't think I can fulfill that in the few months that I have left. I've also heard that Schools that aren't part of OTCAS receive less applicants. This time around I will apply to more schools and hopefully I get in.

Your classes don't have to be finished in order for you to apply! They just have to be done contingent on being accepted and starting OT school. This will be my second go around and I am still in the middle or retaking some classes to bring up my GPA as well as fulfill some pre reqs for other schools. I won't be completely done with all the classes until beginning of 2016!

I have a question, for the new schools that I'm applying for should I contact the OT's that I've shadowed in the past and have them sign the observation forms for me or do I start from scratch?

I have a question, for the new schools that I'm applying for should I contact the OT's that I've shadowed in the past and have them sign the observation forms for me or do I start from scratch?
You shouldn't have to start from scratch unless your hours are old (like over 2-3 years ago). Did the new schools that you are applying to say that you needed the OT signature? I had all my hours logged and the OTs signed my observation sheet, but my school didn't want that... After I was accepted they sent me their own observation form (on it I had to include the OTs contact info, license number, and I had to get it notarized). So it really depends on the school and what they require, some may just go off of OTCAS (if you are applying to some schools through them).

Hello all,
Just wanted to give everyone who have encouraged me to give OT another try. I am very excited about whats to come. I have not heard back from alot of schools but I did get invited for an interview to one school. It is happening fast and I am super super excited. have done much research and have looked at many interview questions. What should I bring during the day of the interview? what are some curve ball questions that you have seen or heard?

Thanks everyone

Hello all,
Just wanted to give everyone who have encouraged me to give OT another try. I am very excited about whats to come. I have not heard back from alot of schools but I did get invited for an interview to one school. It is happening fast and I am super super excited. have done much research and have looked at many interview questions. What should I bring during the day of the interview? what are some curve ball questions that you have seen or heard?

Thanks everyone

You really shouldn't need to bring much. Business attire, a pen, maybe a document folio with paper to take notes or questions you may want to ask about the program later.

Generic questions will typically be:
1.) why did you decide on school "X"? What makes this program more attractive than another program?
2.) how did you become interested in OT?
3.) what are the characteristics you think a good OT should possess? Tell me which of these you possess?
4.) what are your strengths and weaknesses?
5.) how do you deal with conflict? Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict, what you did and what would you do differently.
6.) Give me an example of a time when you were in a leadership position.

Curveball questions:
1.) Tell me the difference you perceive between a Nurse, PT and OT
2.) What did you learn from your observation and volunteer experiences?
3.) how have you prepared for the rigorous academic schedule of graduate school?
4.) Tell me your life philosophy?

Finally - what questions do you have for me or about the program in general?
This one is IMPORTANT, do not say nothing. This questions shows that you were actively researching and exploring the program, its requirements, curriculum, core values, and learning outcomes. Make sure you have something to say.

Reactions: 1 user
You really shouldn't need to bring much. Business attire, a pen, maybe a document folio with paper to take notes or questions you may want to ask about the program later.

Generic questions will typically be:
1.) why did you decide on school "X"? What makes this program more attractive than another program?
2.) how did you become interested in OT?
3.) what are the characteristics you think a good OT should possess? Tell me which of these you possess?
4.) what are your strengths and weaknesses?
5.) how do you deal with conflict? Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict, what you did and what would you do differently.
6.) Give me an example of a time when you were in a leadership position.

Curveball questions:
1.) Tell me the difference you perceive between a Nurse, PT and OT
2.) What did you learn from your observation and volunteer experiences?
3.) how have you prepared for the rigorous academic schedule of graduate school?
4.) Tell me your life philosophy?

Finally - what questions do you have for me or about the program in general?
This one is IMPORTANT, do not say nothing. This questions shows that you were actively researching and exploring the program, its requirements, curriculum, core values, and learning outcomes. Make sure you have something to say.

Thank you for the advice. I have been going through those exact questions and a few more. Will practice the curveball questions as well.

It took me two years of applying, but I got in this time around! I'd say give it another shot if it is truly what you want to do. My situation wasn't ideal, but I moved home and got two jobs. I've been able to save up some money and have honestly enjoyed the time not being in school. But now I can't wait to start OT school in the fall and I'm glad I went through this whole process again.

As a previous poster said, it's a good idea to have a non-OT back up plan. Mine was to get a masters in Applied Behavioral Analysis.

It is been a passion of mine since I discovered it. I have thought about physical education and social work but my goal is to become an OT.

Reactions: 1 user