for love or money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Three-Oh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do doctors earn more than dentists?

do doctors have more free time than dentists?

do doctors act as their own boss?

do dentists get sued as much as doctors?

is dental school more difficult that medical school?

is it easier to get into medical school?

do doctors (as oppose to dentists) live more comfortable lifestyles (less hours)?

THE ANSWER TO EVERY QUESTION IS NO, so why choose medical school over dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Three-Oh said:
do doctors earn more than dentists?

do doctors have more free time than dentists?

do doctors act as their own boss?

do dentists get sued as much as doctors?

is dental school more difficult that medical school?

is it easier to get into medical school?

do doctors (as oppose to dentists) live more comfortable lifestyles (less hours)?

THE ANSWER TO EVERY QUESTION IS NO, so why choose medical school over dental school?

Easy...medicine interests me, dentistry doesn't! :)

You are greatly mistaken. There are plenty of posh specialties in medicine that negate statements 1,2,3,4,7. BTW go back to the pre dent forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was faced with this choice a while ago. In the end you have to do what you love. After Medschool and residency you can tailor a schedual to suit your economic and personal needs in most specialties. I'm just not interested in dentistry and I love the idea of being a doctor.

And why in the heck can't a doctor be his own boss???

If anything medicine is more flexable in that one can choose to work independently or with a hospital. If a dentist were to work for a large group (ie Aspen dental) their income would drop drastically.

several reasons:

1. Doctors don't have the highest suicide rate in the country. Dentists do.

2. When you say "I'm a doctor," no one says "Oh, you couldn't get into dental school?"

3. Ever been in a restaurant and heard someone say "This man is dying, is there a dentist in the house?!"

4. I like hospital cafeteria food (okay, this one may not be such a strong one...but still...)

5. Most importantly, doctors don't have to listen to the mind-numbing hum of a dental drill every day til it drives them insane and they get in the car one day and drive off a cliff and...uh...nevermind... :rolleyes:

But, like the above post said...medicine is interesting to me...that's reason enough.

BrettBatchelor said:
You are greatly mistaken. There are plenty of posh specialties in medicine that negate statements 1,2,3,4,7. BTW go back to the pre dent forum.

True. But when talking in such general terms you would look at the norm for doctors and the norm for dentists. I would venture to say that in 90% of the cases these statements hold true. After all most doctors are in primary care!
If money and lifestyle is what you care about then dentistry is probably the better choice right now. But just wait until insurances discover another field where they can reduce costs...