For MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryomagoku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it okay to use old Kaplan or Princeton review books to study?

I am using Berkeley review books, but I also am thinking of using Kaplan or Princeton review old books to study or Examkracker?

Sorry for the stupid question...
Have a great weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be a good idea to scour the official April, May, and June threads to answer this question for yourself. I will give you my impression and it comes down to who you have been for the past few years.

By that I mean: are you an undergrad who took all the recommended preliminary courses, enjoyed them, and mastered them? Is content still fresh in your mind? Did you get most stuff the first time around or were you struggling to get by?

Similarly, are you a nontrad with no recent coursework?

Answer these questions to figure out where you stand based on the exam topics listed by the AAMC. If you need heavy review, use a combination of Berkeley and Kaplan. If you don't need much, use the new EK. No matter what, DO NOT RELY ON ONE COMPANY. AND ALWAYS USE NEW BOOKSETS (other than Berkley) I used the new Kaplan book set, my friends old Berkley biology books, sparingly a biochem textbook, and extensively complemented everything with khan academy.

Hello Xenith!

I really appreciate your input! I have been looking through those threads and have not gotten the answers I wanted, perhaps I am just stupid.

I am graduating tomorrow actuaclly with biochemistry degree! I did enjoy those classes but did not do so well with family deaths, etc. I believe I do understand Physics and Biochemistry well. I am pretty confident with Gen chem as well. Just ochem and bio are not my best subjects. I do remember a lot of conceptual stuff as I prepared for the old mcat previously. I usually can digest materials in the first time reading.

I will not be applying until next year June as I will be retaking classes at CC and 4 year university for some classes.

So you prefer me having a new set of Kaplan book? I do have the online set as my friend bought it!

Should I just use that?

Hello Xenith!

I really appreciate your input! I have been looking through those threads and have not gotten the answers I wanted, perhaps I am just stupid.

If you really read through May and April threads and did not find the answer to your question, you really have a reading understanding problem that should be adressed before buying material. Sorry.

Find the user mcatjelly and use her FAQ.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really read through May and April threads and did not find the answer to your question, you really have a reading understanding problem that should be adressed before buying material. Sorry.

unnecessary.

Anyways, coming from someone who has old Kaplan set and the new Kaplan set, they are very comparable minus the Social/Behavioral and Biochem Books. Personally, I would just purchase those two books to complement your old set.

Reactions: 1 user
unnecessary.

Anyways, coming from someone who has old Kaplan set and the new Kaplan set, they are very comparable minus the Social/Behavioral and Biochem Books. Personally, I would just purchase those two books to complement your old set.

Thank you very much! just wanted to see if it's comparable as people said mixed reviews

sigh, comments like these are the reason why the 2050 MCAT is going to have a new fifth practical section on "empathy as a physician" or something.

Reactions: 1 user
unnecessary.

if that's the case with Kaplan, then yay! The greatest concern you, OP, should have while studying is to study every topic on the official study guide. In my experience no review book has everything. So make sure you use a variety of sources to cover everything and confirm information (flaws are present too.) Don't let test companies dictate what you study. Also I used Kaplan for my preliminary review for 2-3 months and took detailed notes on everything. I then went back to review those notes in the last month, but used other sources to confirm and reinterpret the information presented.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all!

I was wondering what the best self-study publisher would be for the MCAT? I haven't had much luck at finding threads because there hasn't been much feedback for the new test. Also, I'm new to SD so I don't know how this works. But I appreciate any of the help.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all!

I was wondering what the best self-study publisher would be for the MCAT? I haven't had much luck at finding threads because there hasn't been much feedback for the new test. Also, I'm new to SD so I don't know how this works. But I appreciate any of the help.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the compilation of commentary link in my signature--there's a section dedicated to test-taker commentary on prep material.

There is no consensus on what is "best" yet, so you won't find that there. But you can still narrow it down.