For PD, should I apply to more program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ice dude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So far I have one interview scheduled, being an IMG almost all programs wanted my step 2 score b4 callin me for an interview. I received my score report of CK n CS, both on dec 3. I understand that its very late as most programs have already filled their interview spots, but even then, should I just go ahead and apply to programs, whose deadline havent been reached or make sure with them b4 applying if they have any interview slots open?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

So far I have one interview scheduled, being an IMG almost all programs wanted my step 2 score b4 callin me for an interview. I received my score report of CK n CS, both on dec 3. I understand that its very late as most programs have already filled their interview spots, but even then, should I just go ahead and apply to programs, whose deadline havent been reached or make sure with them b4 applying if they have any interview slots open?

I'm not aPD, but at this stage of the game you probably have to be pretty stellar to get an interview over the hordes of folks already waitlisted for interviews. If money isn't an object, you may as well give it a shot, but for the most part these deadlines are meaningless -- people who are successful apply earlier and the folks who come in at the deadline have to have awfully compelling stats to sneak into the game.

Hummm.... so wht would be compelling stats. I have 90 in step 1, 94 in step 2 n CS, all in first attempt n a 3 months of clinical experience here in US n n visa issue, does dat parallel to compellin or just good stats?

Hummm.... so wht would be compelling stats. I have 90 in step 1, 94 in step 2 n CS, all in first attempt n a 3 months of clinical experience here in US n n visa issue, does dat parallel to compellin or just good stats?

Not stellar stats. Furthermore, programs look at the 3 digit score, not the 2 digit one.

If you're applying to FM or low tier IM or peds programs, you can give it a shot. It is very late in the season, but it may be worth it if it means you don't sit out another year.

I know that man. Obviously when talkin to programs, I would send them the 3 digit score. I know that these are not stellar but I am not aiming for high tie programs.

Obviously when talkin to programs, I would send them the 3 digit score.

His point was that those scores mean more here as well. Nobody talks 2 digit scores but IMGs.

I still think applying this late, your app has to wow folks more to sneak into an interview slot than it might have back in September. It's not just about the numbers. But it has to be an app that when they look at it, it's not like numerous other IMGs they already have on the schedule.

One interview is not great, chance of not matching is high but obviously not zero.

All the other programs you applied to should now have your complete step scores, ? if they will consider interviewing you now.

As mentioned above, applying to more programs can't hurt except your wallet, but don't expect a great return rate.

Really.

You never hear a US grad say "I have a 94 on Step 1", its always the 3 digit score.

People make the mistake and think that the two-digit score is a percentile which it is not, but a lot of people sort of conclude that and talk about it that way.

One interview is not great, chance of not matching is high but obviously not zero.

Don't people have a 50-60% shot of matching at their top choice? So his odds are not that bad (unless that only holds for AMGs).

Don't people have a 50-60% shot of matching at their top choice? So his odds are not that bad (unless that only holds for AMGs).

I don't think this is a true statement. It is very dependent on the field, the person's stats, IMG status, etc. According to the NRMP, this past year, about 85% of US seniors matched into one of their top three choices. But about 55% of non-US seniors didn't match at all. (and everyone in the match had at least one interview, or they wouldn't be able to rank anything). So odds as an IMG with only one interview aren't wonderful. I sure wouldn't put a lot of money down on those odds in vegas.

Really.

You never hear a US grad say "I have a 94 on Step 1", its always the 3 digit score.

Hey dude,
I have heard a lot of US grads talkin in two digits, its not something unheard of. I know its not a percentile or a percentage. My question was not about 2 digit or 3 digits. Everyone knows how much a 90 is on a 3 digit scale.

Hey dude,
I have heard a lot of US grads talkin in two digits, its not something unheard of. I know its not a percentile or a percentage. My question was not about 2 digit or 3 digits. Everyone knows how much a 90 is on a 3 digit scale.

No, we don't. We use the three digit scores. For real. Always. And I honestly don't know what a 90 is on the three digit scale.

Also, referring to attendings, especially female surgical attendings, as "dude" isn't going to get you far.

Anka

. Everyone knows how much a 90 is on a 3 digit scale.

Agree with Anka. We really truly don't use the two digits, and most of us don't really have a good sense of how it translates. I imagine we could look it up someplace but it's not common parlance for US students. We all talk about having scored eg 240 or whatever.

But again, I think when you apply this late, your application has to have some component of "wow" factor (beyond scores) making a program sit up and take notice, and invite you in over the folks they are already holding on a waitlist for spots that open up.

Ok. I thought everyone would be having some idea as the score report comes in with both the scales. Anyway 90 is a 218.
I should say I have some disappointment reading some responses, all I wanted to know whether should I go ahead with applying, do I have any chance that late or no?
and it turned out to be something of a feud. Man.....

I beg to differ regarding the 2 digit vs 3 digit score topic. Both the chair and PD at my school in addition to the PDs I have met on the interview trail have all my step scores as 2 digit scores, NOT the 3 digit score as I have been lead to believe. While on an away, the PD asked my score and when I gave him my 3 digit number, he asked what the 2 digit for it was. In fact, one place I applied, I inadvertently saw on the candidate evaluation form a category for step scores with ranges (and a point criteria assigned to the various range)- listed in 2 digits.

In the ultra-competitive specialties like derm/plastics, the 3 digit scores may be used to differentiate further but that doesn't seem to be the case for most specialties

To answer your original question, your scores would be decent in some specialties as an AMG, but as an IMG, they wouldn't be stellar. The expectations and requirements are much higher than that. Keeping that in mind and noting the date on the calendar, its tough to assume you could squeeze many more interviews out at this point. You can always try because in the grand scheme of things, it may only be a few hundred dollars (depending on how many you have already applied to). I don't know much about the scramble process but I suppose you could try to scramble into a spot post-match

Just keep in mind that without great stats, you need something else exceptional to stand out. 3 months of clinical experience in the US isn't going to cut it. You would need research with publications, rub elbows with the rub people, and you would then increase your chances. But short of that, its an uphill battle.

P.S. typing as if you're talking to people on the street (i.e. compellin) is probably something that can be avoided online. Especially since it doesn't take that much effort to spell compelling vs Compellin / dat vs that / wht vs what. Noone thinks its cool online to have as many misspellings as you do

I beg to differ regarding the 2 digit vs 3 digit score topic. Both the chair and PD at my school in addition to the PDs I have met on the interview trail have all my step scores as 2 digit scores, NOT the 3 digit score as I have been lead to believe. While on an away, the PD asked my score and when I gave him my 3 digit number, he asked what the 2 digit for it was. In fact, one place I applied, I inadvertently saw on the candidate evaluation form a category for step scores with ranges (and a point criteria assigned to the various range)- listed in 2 digits.

In the ultra-competitive specialties like derm/plastics, the 3 digit scores may be used to differentiate further but that doesn't seem to be the case for most specialties

I've only seen my 3 digit score written on files or profile sheets at interviews (not even 333/22). When I've spoken with my advisor or other PD's they want my 3 digit score. And I know there's a big difference between my 3 digit and someone else's 3 digit score with the same 2 digit score.

Hummm..Thanks for ur advice and man I know how to spell, it's just my preference to write as such, nothin to do with being cool or spellin. Y r u guys being so cynical. Take it cool. It's just a casual chat, dat's it. And I do have one publication.

I don't think this is a true statement. It is very dependent on the field, the person's stats, IMG status, etc. According to the NRMP, this past year, about 85% of US seniors matched into one of their top three choices. But about 55% of non-US seniors didn't match at all. (and everyone in the match had at least one interview, or they wouldn't be able to rank anything). So odds as an IMG with only one interview aren't wonderful. I sure wouldn't put a lot of money down on those odds in vegas.

NRMP has some graph with the stats of matching based on specialty and number of interviews. I cannot remember all the specifics but roughly for a IMG interviewing for medicine (FP and IM) its slightly over 90% (91 or 93%) if you have 10 interviews. Then it does not get any higher - ex. having 15 interviews is not statistically better than 10 interviews. But it grows exponentially from 1 interview to 10 - something like 1 interview is a 2% chance, 3 interviews is like 10% chance, 6 interviews is like 60% chance and so on. That is why I only did 10 interviews last year even though offered 13 or 14 or something - it did not change my chances significantly. And I went for one of the prematches offered me last year instead. I cannot remember the exact numbers or even the link but its somewhere at the NRMP site.

This year I had less than 10 interviews but also applied to a much smaller number of programs - I was a bit too cocky this year and my chances of matching are not great. Oh well

NRMP has some graph with the stats of matching based on specialty and number of interviews.

It;s in the publication "Charting outcomes in the Match". I have the 2007 one (not sure if they updated it for 2008). It's Chart 1 for each specialty

The OP doesn't mention what field.

If IM, with only one rank: 255/(255+1035) = about 15%
If FP, with only one rank: 219/(219+584) = about 25%
if Ortho, with only one rank: 9/(9+63) = also about 12%

Anyway, that's the scoop.

It;s in the publication "Charting outcomes in the Match". I have the 2007 one (not sure if they updated it for 2008). It's Chart 1 for each specialty

Thank you aprogdirector, I am interested in Internal Medicine. I did apply to two more programs, they had few cancellations and had unfilled interview spots. I hope it works out.

All the other programs you applied to should now have your complete step scores, ? if they will consider interviewing you now.

As mentioned above, applying to more programs can't hurt except your wallet, but don't expect a great return rate.

I hope so they consider me now, but it doesn't look like.

Hummm..Thanks for ur advice and man I know how to spell, it's just my preference to write as such, nothin to do with being cool or spellin. Y r u guys being so cynical. Take it cool. It's just a casual chat, dat's it. And I do have one publication.

dats tru. but its makez u sounds ******ed or witout having knoledge of the engrish language.

in any case why'd you even ask the question?
if you want to interview, then apply to the max amount programs you can, so what if its late, applying to one more may give you one more chance.

After reading this I applied to 3 more programs last week - today got an interview offer. Again this is in primary care, not something competitive like rads or derm. So I guess its not too late to apply in IM or FM.

But I would never just send in an application, even if their website says they accept applications up through December 31st. I first wrote the programs , introduced myself and asked whether applying now would be adviseable (similar to step 1 of the 3 step process I used in initial ERAS applications). Those that wrote back saying they were still accepting applications, would look at my application and are still granting interviews got applications from me. I wrote to 6 or 7, heard back from a few and applied last week - today got an interview offer which I set up.

AMG's can , should and hopefully will tune out what I have to write - but the point of hope for IMG/FMG such as myself (medicore board scores, quit a program etc) is even as an applicant AMG's would term a "loser" residency is a pretty reall possibility. Those who follow my saga, which in all honesty is perhaps the most interesting here, know I walked out of an interview in a previous year and had the PD of that program call all the other programs and literally blackball me - but I got an interview in one of those programs this year. I am hoping to get interviews from the other two as well - although one of them has no FMG/IMG's, and I do not meet their board score requirements. But they told me they would look at my application anyway. One stopped taking applications December 1st, but said they would look at it and possibly grant an interview. I find I really enjoy trying to get interviews at places that should reject me as much as anything - I love persuading people.

Alot of it is schmoozing as I have mentioned previously. Making them see you on common ground as one of "we", instead of seperate. Its a powerful thing. I got an email from my previous PD a few weeks ago asking how I was doing - even though I quit his program. He is a nice guy, but more than that, he and I had emailed back and forth 10 or more times prior to my initial interview last year, starting in April or thereabouts. We had developed a common ground even before I interviewed and he offered me a prematch (my second last year). As a IMG/FMG you are seen as "one of them" and not "one of us" by most people in residency programs, especially AMG's. Schmoozing is a bit of establishing common ground, commonality, friendship - and at least for primary care it helps.

its helps in business building too - I owned highly sucessful business' for 16 years prior to medical school , wiith very loyal customers. I took courses in building rapport and taught my employees methods to establish rapport quickly - soo much of real life success is not board scores etc - its establishing common ground with people quickly

AMG's can , should and hopefully will tune out what I have to write - but the point of hope for IMG/FMG such as myself (medicore board scores, quit a program etc) is even as an applicant AMG's would term a "loser" residency is a pretty reall possibility.

Alot of it is schmoozing as I have mentioned previously. Making them see you on common ground as one of "we", instead of seperate. Its a powerful thing. I got an email from my previous PD a few weeks ago asking how I was doing - even though I quit his program. He is a nice guy, but more than that, he and I had emailed back and forth 10 or more times prior to my initial interview last year, starting in April or thereabouts. We had developed a common ground even before I interviewed and he offered me a prematch (my second last year).

AMGs don't view internal medicine and family practice as "loser" residencies, although they are the two easiest to get into. A large proportion of the smartest AMGs go into medicine each year, albeit in excellent university programs. If you view medicine or family medicine as a "loser" residency and dermatology as a "winner" they you might be an unsuccessfuly internist/family practicioner as you wouldn't be able to enjoy your job and wouldn't enjoy taking care of patients. Most people I know who matched in internal medicine are pretty book smart and love internal medicine.

Also, until your strategy of obtaining a residency and being a successful physician becomes a reality I would advise against giving out advice regarding your saga in terms of "smoozing" program directors. Medicine is different from business in a lot of ways.

OMFG ROFL. This may be the most self agrandizing thing ever said on this board. People who are truly interesting are never the ones who have to tell others they are interesting, sorry.

I had *exactly* the same reaction. Perhaps because I've been reading lots of Truman Capote today.

AMGs don't view internal medicine and family practice as "loser" residencies, a.

No, you misunderstand me - AMG's see most FMG's as losers. Not the programs - the people - FMG's.

AMG's tend to "look down" on FMG's ( thats putting it euphemistically)

Is there a statistical link about interviews in more than one specialty : i.e 1 interview in IM and 1 interview in FM?

OMFG ROFL. This may be the most self agrandizing thing ever said on this board. People who are truly interesting are never the ones who have to tell others they are interesting, sorry.
A misspelling and two txting abbreviations? Come on out, we know you hijacked L2D's account, and he's not going to like it!

No, you misunderstand me - AMG's see most FMG's as losers. Not the programs - the people - FMG's.

AMG's tend to "look down" on FMG's ( thats putting it euphemistically)

It seems very clear from your post that what you consider a viable career for yourself and other FMGs who have messed up the Step or a prior residency is what you say AMGs would call a "loser residency." Now you say that AMGs think FMGs are "losers". This is not true in either case.

Many AMGs enter "loser" residencies each year, such as family practice and internal medicine which are easier to get into overall. So, no, not everybody enters "loser" residencies as a last option to a medical career.

Also, I think it is offensive to say that AMGs view FMGs as losers. Most AMGs will treat an FMG with respect in residency if they have proven themselves with high board scores and are competent on the wards. It is wrong to stereotype AMGs in such a fashion.

If your step scores are below average and you have such a negative view of AMGs, which go on to become excellent physicians in this country, then this is perhaps the root of your problem. I have seen FMGs get slammed for not knowing their patients or not taking time to care for them properly, and they mostly had an "attitude." and very poor book knowledge.

AMG's can , should and hopefully will tune out what I have to write - but the point of hope for IMG/FMG such as myself (medicore board scores, quit a program etc) is even as an applicant AMG's would term a "loser" residency is a pretty reall possibility. Those who follow my saga, which in all honesty is perhaps the most interesting here, know I walked out of an interview in a previous year and had the PD of that program call all the other programs and literally blackball me - but I got an interview in one of those programs this year. I am hoping to get interviews from the other two as well - although one of them has no FMG/IMG's, and I do not meet their board score requirements. But they told me they would look at my application anyway. One stopped taking applications December 1st, but said they would look at it and possibly grant an interview. I find I really enjoy trying to get interviews at places that should reject me as much as anything - I love persuading people.

Darth, I don't think he means the specialty so much as specific programs. We all know that the most competitive residencies in the country are the top IM ones (in terms of ratio of applicants to spots), and there are some amazing FP programs that only take the creme de la creme. Doowai, I believe, is speaking of the 100% FMG programs that don't fill in the match and regularly accept scramble applicants-- the ones that are, for whatever reason, *completely* unacceptable and undesirable to American allopathic kids.

Thanks haha I have to admit I tend to like all the times I have earned a superlative.

I am a big believer in humbleness. But humbleness is not downplaying ones accomplishments. That is a dishonest deceptive strategy used merely to further elevate onself. Ex. The guy who graduates from Harvard but says "Oh....I graduated from a little school near Boston" - waiting for you to ask which one. While that no doubt seems appropriate and admirable to many (most?) of you, I view the practice with humor and disdain. Its certainly not humble. Downplaying ones accomplishments is NOT humble.

Humbleness is to assume ones correct position in the universe, not an elephant pretending to be a little old mouse or a mouse claiming to be an elephant. 2 weeks ago I was bench pressing in the gym at the high school, and hit 365 LBS for a single rep and 225 LBS for 15. Many of the high school kids were impressed, and while its true that I am one of the strongest guys on that high school campus, I have recently watched a current acupuncture patient of mine bench 810 LBS at the YMCA gym for 4 or 5 reps. I told them about my friend, to keep what I can bench press in perspective for them. Yeah anything near twice your bodyweight benchpress (like I did) is good - its certainly not a superlative.

Granted , "one of the more interesting" is a subjective phrase, open for interpretation. So it is always open to personal interpretation, sounds self-aggrandizing to many. I could have stayed with more objective verifiable statements like saying I wrote and appeared in a series of instructional martial arts tapes in the 1990's that outsold Chuck Norris'; marketed by the same company. Or I have appeared in virtually every English language martial arts magazine in the USA. But whether things like that are "interesting" is open to personal opinion.

Some may find Truman Capote's book IN COLD BLOOD interesting, but I find it impossible reading, probably in part because a high school classmate went to prison my junior year in high school for cold blooded murder (by the time he was done he had shot one man execution style, and killed many more with a knife) and I find the book suffocating reading. However I find some movies about stealing interesting - again because a classmate committed the largest burglaries in our towns history ($50,000 in silver from one house alone using 1982 standard of living money), and another public school classmate committed the first computerized bank theft in history. I don't condone these at all, but I find them interesting. Saying that I currently make a meager ~$30,000 salary as a teacher is as humble as saying I had one of the largest (in terms of income) rural business' of its kind (1994-1998) in my state (as documented in the book HEALTH CARE STATE RANKINGS by Morgan and Quitno and my IRS tax returns).

Some find my meeting George Clooney on the set of the movie 3 KINGS and taking a pee in his movie trailer interesting, my wife completely does not. Some find my story of a naked lady coming to a door I knocked on once interesting, I think its a stupid story.

However when I refered here to my story as being one of the "most interesting" in this arena, it has nothing to do with my past : business success or failures, movies I have been in, state championships (basketball, kickboxing, wrestling, etc), coming in 2nd place to an Olympic marathon team member in a footrace, numerous near death experiences, etc. It refers to the fact that I probably have one of the worst chances of matching (mediocre at best USMLE scores, having resigned, crappy Caribbean school, etc) , and am one of the most hated members on here. I could probably name 2 dozen members here without slowing down that have strong feelings hoping I fail in this attempt (all AMG).

However there are several FMG/IMGs rooting for me to match. I would bet I am one of the most watched members here in terms of how this years match goes.... hence the use of the word "interesting". No doubt some of that comes from my being one of the more outspoken people in this arena.

In large part I do so for the benefit of other FMG/IMG who know they are viewed as losers by AMG's and even moreso by DO's, and who (like me) are less than stellar in their applications . I hope when I match it serves as inspiration for all those, just like the ones who regularly clog my PM box to completely full, who are hopeless and feel like giving up when it is their dream to accomplish it. I have recieved dozens of PM's from FMG's/IMG's facing problems ranging from financial to marital, and write back telling me how much hope I give them - and how my attitude inspires them. It literally overflows my PM box at time - as noted in previous public posts here from people complaining my mail box is full again.

So many FMG's/IMG's who contact me are not paper tigers. Many have practiced for years already and many have done a great many things (professionally and in life) - things beyond the average twenty something traditional grad.

Thanks haha I have to admit I tend to like all the times I have earned a superlative.

I am a big believer in humbleness. But humbleness is not downplaying ones accomplishments. That is a dishonest deceptive strategy used merely to further elevate onself. Ex. The guy who graduates from Harvard but says "Oh....I graduated from a little school near Boston" - waiting for you to ask which one. While that no doubt seems appropriate and admirable to many (most?) of you, I view the practice with humor and disdain. Its certainly not humble. Downplaying ones accomplishments is NOT humble.

Humbleness is to assume ones correct position in the universe, not an elephant pretending to be a little old mouse or a mouse claiming to be an elephant. 2 weeks ago I was bench pressing in the gym at the high school, and hit 365 LBS for a single rep and 225 LBS for 15. Many of the high school kids were impressed, and while its true that I am one of the strongest guys on that high school campus, I have recently watched a current acupuncture patient of mine bench 810 LBS at the YMCA gym for 4 or 5 reps. I told them about my friend, to keep what I can bench press in perspective for them. Yeah anything near twice your bodyweight benchpress (like I did) is good - its certainly not a superlative.

Granted , "one of the more interesting" is a subjective phrase, open for interpretation. So it is always open to personal interpretation, sounds self-aggrandizing to many. I could have stayed with more objective verifiable statements like saying I wrote and appeared in a series of instructional martial arts tapes in the 1990's that outsold Chuck Norris'; marketed by the same company. Or I have appeared in virtually every English language martial arts magazine in the USA. But whether things like that are "interesting" is open to personal opinion.

Some may find Truman Capote's book IN COLD BLOOD interesting, but I find it impossible reading, probably in part because a high school classmate went to prison my junior year in high school for cold blooded murder (by the time he was done he had shot one man execution style, and killed many more with a knife) and I find the book suffocating reading. However I find some movies about stealing interesting - again because a classmate committed the largest burglaries in our towns history ($50,000 in silver from one house alone using 1982 standard of living money), and another public school classmate committed the first computerized bank theft in history. I don't condone these at all, but I find them interesting. Saying that I currently make a meager ~$30,000 salary as a teacher is as humble as saying I had one of the largest (in terms of income) rural business' of its kind (1994-1998) in my state (as documented in the book HEALTH CARE STATE RANKINGS by Morgan and Quitno and my IRS tax returns).
Some find my meeting George Clooney on the set of the movie 3 KINGS and taking a pee in his movie trailer interesting, my wife completely does not. Some find my story of a naked lady coming to a door I knocked on once interesting, I think its a stupid story.

However when I refered here to my story as being one of the "most interesting" in this arena, it has nothing to do with my past : business success or failures, movies I have been in, state championships (basketball, kickboxing, wrestling, etc), coming in 2nd place to an Olympic marathon team member in a footrace, numerous near death experiences, etc. It refers to the fact that I probably have one of the worst chances of matching (mediocre at best USMLE scores, having resigned, crappy Caribbean school, etc) , and am one of the most hated members on here. I could probably name 2 dozen members here without slowing down that have strong feelings hoping I fail in this attempt (all AMG).

However there are several FMG/IMGs rooting for me to match. I would bet I am one of the most watched members here in terms of how this years match goes.... hence the use of the word "interesting". No doubt some of that comes from my being one of the more outspoken people in this arena.
In large part I do so for the benefit of other FMG/IMG who know they are viewed as losers by AMG's and even moreso by DO's, and who (like me) are less than stellar in their applications . I hope when I match it serves as inspiration for all those, just like the ones who regularly clog my PM box to completely full, who are hopeless and feel like giving up when it is their dream to accomplish it. I have recieved dozens of PM's from FMG's/IMG's facing problems ranging from financial to marital, and write back telling me how much hope I give them - and how my attitude inspires them. It literally overflows my PM box at time - as noted in previous public posts here from people complaining my mail box is full again.

So many FMG's/IMG's who contact me are not paper tigers. Many have practiced for years already and many have done a great many things (professionally and in life) - things beyond the average twenty something traditional grad.

This is so funny, . . . I am sorry if this was not mean to be funny on at least some level. But, how you write about your obvious glee with being able to be the strongest person on a high school campus, (how old are you?) is one of the funniest replies to a criticism I have seen.

It is "interesting" that you appearred in "all the english language martial arts magazines in the U.S.". . . I don't actually subscribe to any or know who you are so I will have to pass. This agains sounds very comedic! If true you should realize that people reading this will laugh as not everybody is impressed with Chuck Norris and hence out selling him means nothing!

This post got a little disturbing writing about what people in your town did, not really interesting, but actually common crime. I don't think you should bring this up to make yourself seem more interesting! That is great that you met George Clooney filming some movie I don't remember, but this isn't interesting, most people have such stories because movie stars bump into us normal people by the hundreds each day!

Tip of the Day: Don't brag about urinating in George Clooney's trailer!

I think it is paranoid to say that there a dozen AMGs who are routing for you to fail, this is a persecution complex. Believe it or not but nobody cares about your matching nearly as much as you.

I take it the "largest business of its kind" in your state was as an acupuncturist?? Bragging about being a money-making accupuncturist in some state isn't interesting.

Personally I don't necessarily based on this post find you to be the "most interesting" person on these boards, and wouldn't want to have a beer with you while you discussed your prior martial arts career and urinating in George Clooney's trailer. People who really know movie stars and popular bands don't brag about it or mention being in the presence of so and so . . . We all have had our bumps with fame . . . I could tell you some pretty interesting things well beyond urinating in George Clooney's trailer, sufficed to say I have what I consider an interesting life outside of medicine too, we all have something special in the end . . .

I guess I am not as interesting as you as my brag story only involves: an MTV band of the year, an olympic gold medalist, a couple best-selling authors, and half a dozen blockbuster movies. Yeah, for real, when I was on an ER rotation I told a couple of fellow students (who were a little snotty) see that movie with Nicholas Cage? (me pointing at t.v. in ER). I . . . (my story) . . . they were surprised as in they didn't know what to say next. I know people who have had their own network television show for years, . . . not sure how that stacks up to your experience out there in martial arts land.

But I guess an interesting person like you wouldn't want to know about that? Would you? Or maybe about the guy I know who has made and lost millions of dollars over the years and was/is an actor like almost everyone in his family? I can visit one of the major filming lots when I want to in Cali and can talk to the vice-president of entertainment at a major studio - - -when I want to, I don't know that you can say that.

Anyway, I don't think about this aspect of my life as medicine is my focus and most folks in medicine wouldn't care, and I sure don't care much about it anymore anywho . . . I guess I grew up! Oh, I do write in my spare time, in fact you may have read some of my stuff, hehe. My grandfather has *been* in major motion pictures that have been nominated, something I haven't felt the need to bring up ever in a rotation. I don't know what you did in film, be it extra work or something like that. But it isn't that unusual or interesting!

Thought I would bring this up to let you know that others here have interesting past lives as well! In the end, everybody has interesting hobbies/experiences and who is to judge what is better/more interesting? I am sure we all think our own life story is more interesting. Thought I'd bring up some of my more flashy associations myself, don't think I've ever mentioned this on SDN. I couldn't resist as you seem to think you are tops in terms of being interesting. I think it is *interesting* that I can watch HBO and see some friends and actually know what they do in their private lives.

I have literally eaten a meal costing $7,000 on more than one occassion (as a guest I think that is overpriced myself), and the next day eaten McDonalds and you know what? They are both just food in the end. Its frickin' annoying eating "brunch" with celebrities and being served a six course meal if you can't get up and leave. So many people you might think are interesting like Chuck Norris I think are often quite boring.

I grow less and less impressed with the "upper crust" each year, heck, I don't even fly first class as I think it is too elitist and I am not as fascinated with their company as when I was a young child.

How do you like them apples?

Last edited:
I am one of the most hated members on here. I could probably name 2 dozen members here without slowing down that have strong feelings hoping I fail in this attempt (all AMG).

Speaking as an AMG, it's not so much that we all want you to fail...it's just that we're praying that where you match is not the program we end up at, because from your posts you sound like someone who would be miserable to work with for even the shortest prelim year.

This is so funny, . . . I am sorry if this was not mean to be funny on at least some level. But, how you write about your obvious glee with being able to be the strongest person on a high school campus, (how old are you?) is one of the funniest replies to a criticism I have seen.

It is "interesting" that you appearred in "all the english language martial arts magazines in the U.S.". . . I don't actually subscribe to any or know who you are so I will have to pass. This agains sounds very comedic! If true you should realize that people reading this will laugh as not everybody is impressed with Chuck Norris and hence out selling him means nothing!

This post got a little disturbing writing about what people in your town did, not really interesting, but actually common crime. I don't think you should bring this up to make yourself seem more interesting! That is great that you met George Clooney filming some movie I don't remember, but this isn't interesting, most people have such stories because movie stars bump into us normal people by the hundreds each day!

Tip of the Day: Don't brag about urinating in George Clooney's trailer!

I think it is paranoid to say that there a dozen AMGs who are routing for you to fail, this is a persecution complex. Believe it or not but nobody cares about your matching nearly as much as you.

I take it the "largest business of its kind" in your state was as an acupuncturist?? Bragging about being a money-making accupuncturist in some state isn't interesting.

Personally I don't necessarily based on this post find you to be the "most interesting" person on these boards, and wouldn't want to have a beer with you while you discussed your prior martial arts career and urinating in George Clooney's trailer. People who really know movie stars and popular bands don't brag about it or mention being in the presence of so and so . . . We all have had our bumps with fame . . . I could tell you some pretty interesting things well beyond urinating in George Clooney's trailer, sufficed to say I have what I consider an interesting life outside of medicine too, we all have something special in the end . . .

I guess I am not as interesting as you as my brag story only involves: an MTV band of the year, an olympic gold medalist, a couple best-selling authors, and half a dozen blockbuster movies. Yeah, for real, when I was on an ER rotation I told a couple of fellow students (who were a little snotty) see that movie with Nicholas Cage? (me pointing at t.v. in ER). I . . . (my story) . . . they were surprised as in they didn't know what to say next. I know people who have had their own network television show for years, . . . not sure how that stacks up to your experience out there in martial arts land.

But I guess an interesting person like you wouldn't want to know about that? Would you? Or maybe about the guy I know who has made and lost millions of dollars over the years and was/is an actor like almost everyone in his family? I can visit one of the major filming lots when I want to in Cali and can talk to the vice-president of entertainment at a major studio - - -when I want to, I don't know that you can say that.

Anyway, I don't think about this aspect of my life as medicine is my focus and most folks in medicine wouldn't care, and I sure don't care much about it anymore anywho . . . I guess I grew up! Oh, I do write in my spare time, in fact you may have read some of my stuff, hehe. My grandfather has *been* in major motion pictures that have been nominated, something I haven't felt the need to bring up ever in a rotation. I don't know what you did in film, be it extra work or something like that. But it isn't that unusual or interesting!

Thought I would bring this up to let you know that others here have interesting past lives as well! In the end, everybody has interesting hobbies/experiences and who is to judge what is better/more interesting? I am sure we all think our own life story is more interesting. Thought I'd bring up some of my more flashy associations myself, don't think I've ever mentioned this on SDN. I couldn't resist as you seem to think you are tops in terms of being interesting. I think it is *interesting* that I can watch HBO and see some friends and actually know what they do in their private lives.

I have literally eaten a meal costing $7,000 on more than one occassion (as a guest I think that is overpriced myself), and the next day eaten McDonalds and you know what? They are both just food in the end. Its frickin' annoying eating "brunch" with celebrities and being served a six course meal if you can't get up and leave. So many people you might think are interesting like Chuck Norris I think are often quite boring.

I grow less and less impressed with the "upper crust" each year, heck, I don't even fly first class as I think it is too elitist and I am not as fascinated with their company as when I was a young child.

How do you like them apples?
"Nobody can be kinder than the narcissist while you react to life in his own terms." -E. Bowen

Nah, we're not cheering for your failure. We could hardly care what you do.

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. We know we shouldn't watch, but we can't help ourselves. :D

doowai
and
darth
can we keep it civil please?
There seems to be too much testosterone here :)
And I can bench press 30 pounds :)

I was wondering if it's necessary for an AMG to have a Step 2 CK score in by the time programs make their ROL's, which I understand is any time from the end of January to mid-February. Do all programs require a score to be in by that time or does it depend on your Step 1 score and other factors?

I am planning on taking the test in mid-Jan., but I just looked online at one program that I was interested in ranking highly wanting scores in before NRMP Rank List deadline in mid-February. Given that the test scores come in after 3-4 weeks (this is how long it took my friends who have already taken the test to receive their scores although it's posted to take longer) is it possible that I may still be ranked by the program if I release the scores right away? Is there a website where I can find what programs have this requirement? Thanks for your help.

I was wondering if it's necessary for an AMG to have a Step 2 CK score in by the time programs make their ROL's, which I understand is any time from the end of January to mid-February. Do all programs require a score to be in by that time or does it depend on your Step 1 score and other factors?

I am planning on taking the test in mid-Jan., but I just looked online at one program that I was interested in ranking highly wanting scores in before NRMP Rank List deadline in mid-February. Given that the test scores come in after 3-4 weeks (this is how long it took my friends who have already taken the test to receive their scores although it's posted to take longer) is it possible that I may still be ranked by the program if I release the scores right away? Is there a website where I can find what programs have this requirement? Thanks for your help.

1. No, it's not necessary at most programs in most fields. In the most competitive fields or the most competitive programs, it might be helpful or necessary.

2. If you take it mid Jan, you'll be cutting it close. Even if you get your scores just before ROL deadline, programs may have arleady finalized their ROL's and not be looking. Programs can always change their ROL's at the last minute, but we tend not to because all of those applicants try to change their ROL's at the last minute and gum up the system.

3. No, there is no single website where this information is found. You'll have to check each program's website.

News!! definition of EGO changed in the dictionary, now is a picture of Doowai.

What the hell are you doing studying medicine, you should speak to Spielberg or the guy that did 9-11 movie (fat guy, dont remember his name) to make a movie about your life!!!

but honestly, I hope you match. You say you have <10 interviews and in the FM/IM world that's a good shot.

Hey guys,

This thread was only intended to get what others have to say about applying to more programs at this time of the year. That was the only purpose and it seems to turn into a battle ground. A lot of disappointment I am faced with, I have been criticized and all this AMG vs IMG bull****. Those with better scores and credentials match and why shouldn,t they?

While I have no clue what the hell Doowai is talking about or what he has been smoking for that matter, I will say that everyone should have the opportunity to make their goals and dreams come true (as much as they should stay away from high schools at the age of 40, unless picking up their kids).

Ice dude, if you want to match, you need to apply broadly and once you have your interviews, then you can choose which ones to keep and which ones to lose. If it doesnt work out this year ( I hope it does), regroup, adjust your strategy and reapply broadly next year and do it early. Also make sure to treat every interview as your only one and perform extremely well. Obviously, during your interviews, be less cool and more professional. And never ever admit personal things like I work out with high school kids, or I peed with Clooney in his trailer. Regardless of how cool you think those sound, they don't fly well in the conservative environment of medicine.

Having said all of the above, it is 12:26 am Christmas morning 12/25/2008 and I am at the VA typing this. I wish all the best and hope everyones goals and dreams come true. Peace.

I think Doowai has so many issues, he could outsell the Times.

Misogyny... daddy issues.... Napoleon Complex.... narcissism.... paranoia.... believing all AMGs are 26 year olds who spent their entire young adulthood in a library...