For residency in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc M87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this might be the wrong forum for my post, but I am in an extremely confused position right now. I am an IMG (YOG 2011), studying for USMLE Step 1. After my graduation I did one year internship, didn't know what to do with my career, took few international exams and after exploring all my options I finally decided for USMLE's. I don't have an elective, or observership, just one publication, nothing on my CV.
I have been studying for USMLE Step 1 for more than a year now and I am planning to take it in two months I am done with UWorld, revising FA, will do UW again, take assessments and write the exam. My slot is ending in April.
I also applied for a residency program (here in Pakistan) recently and got in. Timings are 9-2, starting in two days. But the confusing part is, I am taking my step 1 in two months, so should I take the residency and study for Step 1 along with it, or don't take the residency and focus only on step1.
I have heard for Psychiatry, home country residency counts a lot, have asked a lot of people and they have mixed opinions. So resorted to SDN.

I just want to know if this opportunity is worth the hassle, or it doesn't even count if I go for the match.

Members don't see this ad.

you should take the position in pakistan and work on improving your english. is the position in psychiatry? it is obviously better to be employed than to not be. what have you been doing since you completed your internship? if you are unable to account for what you have been doing (i.e. if you haven't been doing clinical medicine or research) for the past 3-4 years then you don't have a hope in hell's chance of matching. assuming you apply for next year's match you will be right at the 5 year mark since graduation which is the cut-off for many places. but this means you will need to take Step 2 CK and CS by June or July, and ideally take step 3 by the end of this year.

and you do need to get some clinical experience in psychiatry, if you cannot get US clinical experience then often experience in Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland will suffice at some programs. Your best bet may be to try and get into a psychiatry training program in the UK or Ireland, complete your MRCPsych and then apply for residency in the US if you are still intent on doing so. Being further out from medical school matters less if you have significant psychiatric experience under your belt in the more remote programs.

Reactions: 1 user
you should take the position in pakistan and work on improving your english. is the position in psychiatry? it is obviously better to be employed than to not be. what have you been doing since you completed your internship? if you are unable to account for what you have been doing (i.e. if you haven't been doing clinical medicine or research) for the past 3-4 years then you don't have a hope in hell's chance of matching. assuming you apply for next year's match you will be right at the 5 year mark since graduation which is the cut-off for many places. but this means you will need to take Step 2 CK and CS by June or July, and ideally take step 3 by the end of this year.

and you do need to get some clinical experience in psychiatry, if you cannot get US clinical experience then often experience in Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland will suffice at some programs. Your best bet may be to try and get into a psychiatry training program in the UK or Ireland, complete your MRCPsych and then apply for residency in the US if you are still intent on doing so. Being further out from medical school matters less if you have significant psychiatric experience under your belt in the more remote programs.
Hello Splik, I have been doing non training jobs (part time) and studying at the same time.
Yes the position is for Psychiatry Residency.
So you are saying I should take the position, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, you mustn't have any gaps in your employment history. also working in psychiatry shows you are interested in the field. One of the challenges for IMGs it is often a back-up and so people are more suspicious of IMGs and are looking for evidence of commitment to the specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
yes, you mustn't have any gaps in your employment history. also working in psychiatry shows you are interested in the field. One of the challenges for IMGs it is often a back-up and so people are more suspicious of IMGs and are looking for evidence of commitment to the specialty.
Thanks Splik!