for the Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know we have a lot of Fellows that post here. What fellowship did you choose, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Law school plus a brokerage degree.

Law school plus a brokerage degree.

This is probably the best fellowship one can do (wish I would have done that). I did pain because it gives you an extra skill set and I enjoy clinic. The drawback is that the pain market is saturated right now, which is frustrating to find out after you spend another year of your life getting paid a resident's salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
ccm for the following reasons:
1) I like the material, complexity, multidisciplinarianism.
2) like the 'real doctor' thing
3) hedging my bets against an uncertain future by training in something 'extra.'

ccm for the following reasons:
1) I like the material, complexity, multidisciplinarianism.
2) like the 'real doctor' thing
3) hedging my bets against an uncertain future by training in something 'extra.'

second that and add that i like getting out of the OR every once and a while.

I will be doing at CT fellowship in 2010-2011. As far as my reasons, I enjoy cardiac cases, TEE, placing lines, and wanted to have a fellowship on my CV as added security. Also, IMO, having TEE certification will be most beneficial in the future.

pain. it's good if you like that sort of thing.
if both anesthesia and pain go down the tubes - all of medicine is f'd at that point.

This is probably the best fellowship one can do (wish I would have done that). I did pain because it gives you an extra skill set and I enjoy clinic. The drawback is that the pain market is saturated right now, which is frustrating to find out after you spend another year of your life getting paid a resident's salary.

Pain as well, for much the same reasons. Plus I wanted the possibility of being someone's doctor (without being their PMD), and a taste of the satisfaction of fixing someone. So far I've been pleasantly surprised just how often that comes. The procedures are fun too. I wouldn't say the pain market is saturated. Neither i nor my classmates had trouble finding desirable jobs. The major metro areas aren't wide open, if that's what you mean.

Pain as well, for much the same reasons. Plus I wanted the possibility of being someone's doctor (without being their PMD), and a taste of the satisfaction of fixing someone. So far I've been pleasantly surprised just how often that comes. The procedures are fun too. I wouldn't say the pain market is saturated. Neither i nor my classmates had trouble finding desirable jobs. The major metro areas aren't wide open, if that's what you mean.

I guess I should clarify: The major metropolitan cities and desirable areas to live (the coasts) are a tough market right now.

i applied into pain because:
1) i love learning new procedures aka new skill set
2) i love working independently - make my own diagnosis/treatment plan
3) i love not having to work with surgeons. lots are my friends, but i feel second fiddle, maybe because i am a resident.
4) no overnight call. I am sure i will be called in at some point for a sick cancer patient, but sleeping next to my wife (one day) and kids at home is priceless for me