For those about to start Organic....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
or those who want a better understanding.

I have just started a book and so far, it is very easy to understand and it is actually explaining the principles of organic chemistry. Something I never truly learned. I memorized every equation from both semesters (and their respective mechanisms) But can't remember a whole lot.

So if you really want to learn the principles, I'm going to advocate reading The Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry Now, I am not pushing a product, but I do like how it is explaining the underlying theory of organic chemistry and how it relates to real principles from general chemistry.

It is really aimed at the student getting ready to start organic chemistry, but since I want to re-learn, and not have to memorize every equation for the organic section of the DAT, this is what I'm reading. I'm also going to try klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language

Ok, done. My school starts back up in a 4 days, so this may be a little late for some of you, Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

how important is gen chem for organic? I did ok in gen chem, I got B's. It's those damn significant numbers and algebra that screwed me, not so much the concepts.

dboy said:
how important is gen chem for organic? I did ok in gen chem, I got B's. It's those damn significant numbers and algebra that screwed me, not so much the concepts.

You only need to know the very basics learned in gen chem like valence M.O theory and the OCTET RULE , the first chapter in a organic text will go over all the chemistry you need to know to learn organic. I B+'s in Gen Chem and I got A's in organic, some people find organic to be easier then General chemistry. You will however need to retain knowledge you learned in general chemistry lab, just the basic stuff though. If you go in chemistry all the stuff will come back to haunt you. I had a really great profesor for orgo and thought the subject to be quite fun and challenging.