for those of you in the 'burg (aka attending Chatham or Pitt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julie S

Functional monster
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The epitomal question: Chatham or Pitt?

Why did you choose what you chose?
Even with the stipend at Pitt in the third year, Chatham is cheaper, yes?
Did the schools meet your expectations?
Do you feel that professors are approachable?
If you have already graduated or are about to graduate, do you think you're ready to be a practicing PT?

Any insights are greatly appreciate :)

Members don't see this ad.

From my daughter:

Pitt has a great reputation. Most people do not even know what Chatham is. Lots of research comes from Pitt. Pitt has more clinical experience than any other schools I looked into.

Not sure.

Somewhat...very closed minded the way things are taught...you do not realize there are other theories until you are out in the clinic. Although, I have talked to a friend who graduated and she felt we learn a lot more than other PT schools in some respects. But I am sure whatever school you chose you will find some faults.

NO! All very intimating and think they are Gods.

If you have already graduated or are about to graduate, do you think you're ready to be a practicing PT?
I do feel ready to be a practicing PT. All the clinical experience really helps.

Sidenote, I just wanted to say that I disagree with PTDad's daughter's comment about most people not knowing what/where Chatham is- I really thought this as well, but I have since found out (after being accepted) that many people were impressed that I was going to Chatham and it seems to have a good reputation. I had the exact same opinion as PTDad's daughter until after I accepted and found out differently. Now, does Chatham have nation-wide recognition? No, probably not, but in the Pittsburgh/Western PA area I would say it does.

In any case, I'll just add to the convo so that the post is helpful to others. :)

For me, the biggest reason I chose the school I chose was because I got a really good "gut" feeling when I visited. I thought the campus was beautiful and everyone was very friendly.

People say yes and no to this; I have found that in my case, even with the stipend it was cheaper to attend Chatham (by around 15k) but I know that some people say that Pitt is cheaper (not sure if they are atheletes, have scholarships, etc).

So far it has been great.

Absolutely, in fact I just went to the program director and had a great conversation and she helped guide me in the right direction. It was very nice.

I've only just begun, so I can't say yet ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay folks, so at this point I have seen both of those places. I've been thinking, really hard, about which one I want if I end up getting into both. For me, given that they are both fantastic programs, it really comes down to cost. If you think in terms of tuition AND count in Pitt's stipend (although that's not exactly fair to Chatham since the stipend only comes in the last year so your unsubsidized loans from Pitt would already be collecting interest) the two programs are about equal, a 3k or so difference.

However, if you think about the next 3 years instead of "the program" (Where am I in June of 2015?) Chatham is much cheaper. For me, its an extra 3 months of making money this summer (and living at home) plus another 5 months making money as a practicing PT after I graduate. So that ends up being a pretty big difference. Both have a solid NPTE pass rate and good faculty. Rankings are way different but that seems not to matter a whole lot.

What do I think makes Pitt stronger? Essentially, they're clinical program is better than Chatham's. You spend much longer in your internships. But let's again, fast forward to June of 2015. If I were to attend Chatham, I will have had another five or so months of practicing as a PT, but getting paid a PT salary instead of a stipend (minus tuition) for it as I would at Pitt.

That, on top of the fact that I liked the students and faculty that I met at interview day as well as PBL, is pulling me strongly in the direction of Chatham.

Thought I would share!

Hey, I'm a Chatham Second Year.

Started in August, when Pitt Started in June and Ends in December when Pitt Ends in May. I didn't feel the extra weeks of clinical at Pitt were worth it after talking to some of the third year pitt students I use to work with.

Chatham is 7 semesters and costs about 9,600 per semester. I don't know Pitt's total cost.

Beyond happy with the program and over exceeds my expectations. The PBL (Problem Based Learning) Program is awesome. When I was in my first clinical I was amazed at my overall knowledge that chatham has taught me. Plus I love how you get to retake tests if you get below an 80. Makes learning the material a lot less stressful, and I never feel as though I study just to take a test.

The teachers can be your best friends if you want them to be. Their door is always open and they love teaching the students.

I graduate December 2012, I did my outpatient clinical this past summer and I was so happy with how prepared I was to practice. I was doing independent evals within the first week, and had my own case load (15 pts) by week three. However, it all depends on the student as well. The teachers can only lead you to water they can't make you drink it. Both schools are great schools, but don't be detered if Chatham isn't ranked nationally. The choose not to be apart of the ranking system. I know that sounds weird but neither does George Washington University. The president there said when you have the resources Washington D.C. does and the hospital systems (Walter Reid, NIH) it should be understood where we stand in educational value. So that made sense to me haha.

Side note: All classes are in the same building, with onsight commuter parking for about 250/year. The PT department was just renovated with more PT tables, SMART boards and so on. It awesome. I love it, and best of luck with your decision. Maybe you'll be my mentee next year.

Even though I thought that either school would have been a fantastic experience and prepare me well to be a PT, I got into Chatham and am going! Can't wait!! Just need to get through the rest of those prereqs in night class while working full time.... :/

Even though I thought that either school would have been a fantastic experience and prepare me well to be a PT, I got into Chatham and am going! Can't wait!! Just need to get through the rest of those prereqs in night class while working full time.... :/

Good luck, Julie! It must be a relief to have made a final decision.

Congrats and good luck and maybe I'll see you in the halls of Eastside next fall ;)