For those of you who have already gotten jobs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NinerNiner999

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it *usually* take from the time the group calls and says you will be given an offer to the time you physically recieve a contract? I got a great job "offer" (the board of directors and partners voted to hire me) last month, but to date, still have no contract. Does it take a while?

Members don't see this ad.

I "signed" on for a full time gig with a local group a few months ago and I start August 1st, still don't have a contract. Not the best situation. You should definitely call them

Depends.

Some situations, they would offer me a job, but wouldn't really start talking contract stuff until I told them I was atleast "strongly interested."

Other large places can send you a contract FedExed the next day.

Place I'm at now sent me a sample contract immediately (via email actually), and then within a week I think sent me the real contract with my name on it. Oh what a sweet time that was.

Good luck with the hunting! Its damn early but I started early too.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
After I got my offer I had the application package and contract in a few days. That was with EmCare. If you have been waiting for over a month it could mean several things. Maybe they don't have their act together or maybe they have to wait for a meeting of the whole group to really extend the offer. It's also possible they are stringing you along waiting on another candidate to make up their mind. I'd contact whoever you interviewed with and make sure everything is how you think it is.

That's what I was thinking too - I kind of feel like I'm being "strung along." I've interviewed with three groups and all three have said "You've got the job." I suppose there is no sure thing until I recieve it in writing. How long should I hold out before I start a second wave of interviewing?

Keep interviewing regardless. EM has so many different practice environments and group set ups that it's hard to know where you'll be happy. That's why EM has such a high turnover rate in the first few years. This is a chance to go and check out different groups. Take advantage. Even if you have a favorite.

docB said:
Keep interviewing regardless. EM has so many different practice environments and group set ups that it's hard to know where you'll be happy. That's why EM has such a high turnover rate in the first few years. This is a chance to go and check out different groups. Take advantage. Even if you have a favorite.

I agree. Niner, the part my residents always have a hard time with is that they are in charge not the groups. It's not like med school or the match. They need you far worse than you need them.

If you really want to go to a certain place, just call em and tell them that. Tell them your going to sign with somebody else if they don't get off the pot.

*ring* Yeah boss,. . . I'm giving out secrets. . .Oh, sorry.

NinerNiner999 said:
How long does it *usually* take from the time the group calls and says you will be given an offer to the time you physically recieve a contract? I got a great job "offer" (the board of directors and partners voted to hire me) last month, but to date, still have no contract. Does it take a while?

got my job back in dec/jan, got the contract fedex'd the day before the contract start date 7/1. If I didnt have trust in the person who hired me I wouldnt have tolerated that. Some places require a whole long process, especially academic places....need dean to sign off, hospital privileges granted, etc

a letter of intent is sometimes offered giving prelim offer details

BKN said:
I agree. Niner, the part my residents always have a hard time with is that they are in charge not the groups. It's not like med school or the match. They need you far worse than you need them.

If you really want to go to a certain place, just call em and tell them that. Tell them your going to sign with somebody else if they don't get off the pot.

*ring* Yeah boss,. . . I'm giving out secrets. . .Oh, sorry.

You know, it will be nice not have to beg for a job. I've felt a little too much like a supplicant the last several years applying to both medical school and residency. One thing I like about my current program is that when I interviewed they seemed like they were trying to sell the program as much as I was trying to sell myself.

Thank God I will never have to write another personal statement.

Hey BKN, let me ask you this. When should one start looking for a job during residency?

So today was the day of all days - la dia de tutta dias. I got a written contract offer from my first choice job (after five interviews). It looks like I will be working on the sunny coast three blocks from the shore (final location to be announced after everything is signed).

Can any of you seasoned veterans give me your advice about things to look out for in a contract?

NinerNiner999 said:
So today was the day of all days - la dia de tutta dias. I got a written contract offer from my first choice job (after five interviews). It looks like I will be working on the sunny coast three blocks from the shore (final location to be announced after everything is signed).

Can any of you seasoned veterans give me your advice about things to look out for in a contract?

Not a seasoned veteran but I saw this on AAEM the other night. There is a section on contracts, and AAEM lists some things to look out for. Hope it helps.

http://www.aaemrsa.org/rulesforresidents.pdf

NinerNiner999 said:

Look out for non-compete clauses. Those should be a thing of the past. Look for a due process procedure for firing you. It should have involvement or appeal to more people in the group than just the directors. Be very leary of any process that begins and end with one person. Look for minimum hours or something like it. If you are not gaurenteed minimum hours they can just reduce your hours to 0 without firing you to get around their own process.

All of this stuff sounds very adversarial but that's what contracts are about. A wise, old ER doc once told me "The contract stays in the drawer until there's a problem. But only until there's problem."

Also when you're comparing offers, make sure you understand what you're comparing and try as much as possible to compare apples to apples. Remember the job at $100/hr with benes, cme, etc may be "worth" much more than a job where you make 150/hr as an independent contractor with no benes (also remember you (or you through your corporation) pick up the other half of your social security tax if you are your own employer so that's another 7% or so.)

GeneralVeers said:
Do you guys routinely have a lawyer look over the contract for you?
I had a prof who was the contracts guru in my residency look mine over. Most residencies have someone who is knowledgable. You don't have to have a lawyer look at it. If there's something you're worried about then do. Try to find a lawyer who knows physician contracts. Ask some of the older EM docs in your area.

I had a lawyer look over it for me... my brother. Funny thing was, my first "good" contract, I had him look over it. I read over it myself of course, and said "hey this ain't no big thang, looks like a good contract." Well, without me even knowing, my brother interpreted certain things, like "Uh, you know you can't work anywhere else in the same county for during and one year after your employment."

Holy crapola, there was a non compete clause and I didn't even see it?!?!?!?!

Other little things that weren't of much significance but I couldn't read the legal-ese.

The contract I signed currently is much more straightforward (Its a two hospital private/subsidized salaried) contract, which is probably less dangerous (and potentially backstabbing) than a for profit or FFS group (potential for a lot more $$$ and bonuses). I'm sure there are attendings at your residency who can kind of go over it. Bring it into conference one day and show it to them while they're sitting there. Also, have the med director at your place go over it, they're probably the contract expertrs (or perhaps your Dept Chairman).

Q