For those who have done aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entirecropslost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting nervous about starting my away rotation in about a week, I was wondering if anyone who has done an away would mind posting about their experience. Not school specific stuff necessarily, but just was it what you expected, were the residents cool or did they kind of give a cold shoulder to away rotators, was it hard adapting to a new hospital, that kind of stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

I did an away for September. I was great. I seriously suggest doing one. It was great to see how ENT was done outside my home school. Plus it was fun interacting with a whole new set of residents. I was nervous too but after the first few days it was really chill, just like doing a month at home. I worked harder though, longer hours, studied more mainly because i knew i had limited time there. The residents were really nice and didn't give me the cold shoulder. They sometimes forgot I didnt understand the names of buildings or where things were but all I had to do was ask. Everyone loved to give me tips for doing well on rounds or places to eat around town. Attendings were a little harder to get face time with simply because of the time of year and all the big meetings going on. I also found that people would let me do more in the operating room than the interns said they got to do during their fourth year and I think that is because they wanted me to be involved since i was only there for a short period. It was helpful talking with other rotating students even in different departments just to get a feel of other places and how they compare. I am getting ready to go to my second away and although it is kind of tough since its like a month long interview I am very excited to go and learn what I can. I stuck pretty close with the residents because i felt like I could easily get lost in the shuffle if I hung back too much. Good Luck

I did an away for September. I was great. I seriously suggest doing one. It was great to see how ENT was done outside my home school. Plus it was fun interacting with a whole new set of residents. I was nervous too but after the first few days it was really chill, just like doing a month at home. I worked harder though, longer hours, studied more mainly because i knew i had limited time there. The residents were really nice and didn't give me the cold shoulder. They sometimes forgot I didnt understand the names of buildings or where things were but all I had to do was ask. Everyone loved to give me tips for doing well on rounds or places to eat around town. Attendings were a little harder to get face time with simply because of the time of year and all the big meetings going on. I also found that people would let me do more in the operating room than the interns said they got to do during their fourth year and I think that is because they wanted me to be involved since i was only there for a short period. It was helpful talking with other rotating students even in different departments just to get a feel of other places and how they compare.

Pretty much a mirror of my experience as well.

After the first few days, it feels pretty much like a sub-i at home. It's cool to see different techniques and regional differences in management.