For those who took Naplex 2007...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mlabban

Pre-Med HS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
please post any advice that you would think would help us for NAPLEX... anythig said would be really appreciated...

I'm taking NAPLEX on July 18th, and i'm panicing already, since i am not a good studier and a big procastinator... (i am studying now though, not enough though)..

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I took Naplex, and :rolleyes:, unfortunately i got HIV and CANCER one. A lot of questions on them. Some questions about TB, many herbals, and some weird questions about illeostomy, or different devices for different testing, a couple HTN, CHF, and diabetes. Calculations were pretty easy...amazingly NO mEq, moles, or mOsm. :oops: I am not sure how I did, but will see :p
hmmm... 134 isn't that bad either, is it? :D Hopefully MPJE goes well :p

I take it in an hour! :scared:

I'm done and it only took me 2 hours :confused:I honestly don't know what to make of it. There was SO much I spent time studying that wasn't on there. There was no theme to my exam, just a little bit of everything. I didn't mean to finish it so quickly, but I guess you either know it or you don't. I had no alligation problems which I studied, on TPN calories problem and a few mEq, some of which were hard. Not too much math though and no kinetics.

I'm waiting for them to call me and say there was a glitch and that I didn't even answer 50 questions of the test :lol: I know that can't happen since it's computerized, but damn, I didn't think I would finish so quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm done and it only took me 2 hours :confused:I honestly don't know what to make of it. There was SO much I spent time studying that wasn't on there. There was no theme to my exam, just a little bit of everything. I didn't mean to finish it so quickly, but I guess you either know it or you don't. I had no alligation problems which I studied, on TPN calories problem and a few mEq, some of which were hard. Not too much math though and no kinetics.

I'm waiting for them to call me and say there was a glitch and that I didn't even answer 50 questions of the test :lol: I know that can't happen since it's computerized, but damn, I didn't think I would finish so quickly.
:D Dont worry. I had 1 hour and 45 mins left. That's when I slowed down after break. I had no mEq, mOsm, or anything else. Very simple calculations, but other questions were hard...at least for me.

post your email if you want to work out a deal for me to send you my lecture notes i used to get a 125 score on naplex:hardy::hardy::hardy::love::love::thumbup::thumbup:!

I took it today. To be honest I thought it was pretty easy overall. I had tons of calcs in the beginning. (prob 30 or so) They were simple dilution problems and rate conversions over and over again. Then I got a flood of TPN questions. So many TPNs in fact that I started to get annoyed and almost smacked the computer monitor.

Overall they shotgunned me with just about everything they had. I saw HIV, Chemo, Kinetics, Psych, Asthma, HF, HTN, MI, RA/OA, Diabetes, Herbs, Compounding, Drug lit, Antidotes, brand-generic, dosage forms, References, and probabley some other stuff.

I think I passed it. It seems I had alot of topics, but my topic questions didnt go very deep. I had a few that were really out there and required some thinking, but overall most were either I instantly knew the answer, or forget about it.

Well see in a couple of days. Thanks for everyone elses posts, they were very helpful.

WOW, I AM NOT BANNED ANYMORE!!!

I got my results while being absent from here. Passed the NAPLEX easily. Slid by the MPJE. It was much harder IMO. It has far too many questions that both seem correct.

Got licensed yesterday morning and started work last night. I am just glad it is all over.

I got my results while being absent from here. Passed the NAPLEX easily. Slid by the MPJE. It was much harder IMO. It has far too many questions that both seem correct.

Got licensed yesterday morning and started work last night. I am just glad it is all over.

Me, too. I scraped by the MPJE with an 82 and got my license yesterday. Even though we were banned by the SDN police, our lives went on - we just couldn't share it with our friends here.

Just took the NAPLEX on Monday. I can't remember ever feeling this bad about a test afterwards. I thought the calculations would be the difficult part, but while I was taking the test I found myself wishing there had been more.

Most of my brand/generic questions were obscure drugs I had either never heard of or couldn't remember. I had a lot of questions about diseases I didn't focus on (thanks Kaplan) and few questions about diseases I had focused my studying on.

I actually didn't feel that bad immediately after the test. I had the usual breakdown for the most part - some questions I knew I got right, some were completely random guesses, and some I was able to narrow down to 2 answers.

Unfortunately when I got home I started looking up what questions I could remember and 90% of the ones where I hadn't been sure on the test it seemed like I got wrong. I must have looked up 30 questions and of those I got maybe 10 right.

Now I'm definitely worried. I really feel like I didn't pass. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next couple of weeks waiting. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Did anyone else feel this bad after the test and still manage to pass?

No kidding, just got back from the MPJE and I have no idea how I did. Too vague. Just crossing my fingers at this point. Congrats on being done. On to the NAPLEX next week and hopefully I leave with a better feeling about that one.

why were banned to start with?? is it b/c we were sharing flynn notes?

Dana, congrats on becoming lisenced, i hope to follow you soon. what material did you study for the law exam?

Dana, congrats on becoming lisenced, i hope to follow you soon. what material did you study for the law exam?

Congrats to you guys for becoming licensed. I know it was a rough road. I have been reading your posts for quite some time and they have been very helpful. Now as for being banned, I only posted once to you nadaRX, and I was banned too. Thanks for all the info and advice. I've read thru notes ad nauseum. I'm in NY and passed the NYS compounding exam with an 86. Very happy.
On to NAPLEX and MPJE for NY and NJ.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took the NAPLEX on Monday. I can't remember ever feeling this bad about a test afterwards. I thought the calculations would be the difficult part, but while I was taking the test I found myself wishing there had been more.

Most of my brand/generic questions were obscure drugs I had either never heard of or couldn't remember. I had a lot of questions about diseases I didn't focus on (thanks Kaplan) and few questions about diseases I had focused my studying on.

I actually didn't feel that bad immediately after the test. I had the usual breakdown for the most part - some questions I knew I got right, some were completely random guesses, and some I was able to narrow down to 2 answers.

Unfortunately when I got home I started looking up what questions I could remember and 90% of the ones where I hadn't been sure on the test it seemed like I got wrong. I must have looked up 30 questions and of those I got maybe 10 right.

Now I'm definitely worried. I really feel like I didn't pass. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next couple of weeks waiting. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Did anyone else feel this bad after the test and still manage to pass?

My wife is in exactly the same boat (she took it yesterday). For her,the test felt okay at first, but looked a bunch up that were wrong and now she is freaking out and is convinced she failed. I'll let you know how it turns out for her.

Personally, I think people tend to remember the harder questions. For both you and her, I suspect there are lots of relatively easy questions that you forgot about. Remember that well over 90% pass. It's not like a test at school... if you got even 65-70% right, that is probably somewhere in the 90-95 range (ie passing with room to spare). In other words, don't get too down until you see your score... it might be better than you think.

Edited to add: What did you get on your pre-NAPLEX?

My wife is in exactly the same boat (she took it yesterday). For her,the test felt okay at first, but looked a bunch up that were wrong and now she is freaking out and is convinced she failed. I'll let you know how it turns out for her.

Personally, I think people tend to remember the harder questions. For both you and her, I suspect there are lots of relatively easy questions that you forgot about. Remember that well over 90% pass. It's not like a test at school... if you got even 65-70% right, that is probably somewhere in the 90-95 range (ie passing with room to spare). In other words, don't get too down until you see your score... it might be better than you think.

Edited to add: What did you get on your pre-NAPLEX?

I did the pre-NAPLEX twice: scored a 99 and a 110. While I was taking those I didn't think I was doing very well either, but I didn't feel this bad about it. I'm hoping you're right about just remembering the harder questions. It seems like most of the ones I remembered are the ones I had narrowed down to 2 answers on the test, and it looks like I went with the wrong one every time somehow. I know there's still another 150+ questions I haven't accounted for, but if my percentage isn't any better on those I'm in trouble.

Good luck to your wife. I know what she's going through right now.

Hello Pharmguy07,

Wish you all the best for your NAPLEX results !!! I sent you a private message. Can you please reply. Thanks.

Best,

I did the pre-NAPLEX twice: scored a 99 and a 110. While I was taking those I didn't think I was doing very well either, but I didn't feel this bad about it. I'm hoping you're right about just remembering the harder questions. It seems like most of the ones I remembered are the ones I had narrowed down to 2 answers on the test, and it looks like I went with the wrong one every time somehow. I know there's still another 150+ questions I haven't accounted for, but if my percentage isn't any better on those I'm in trouble.

Good luck to your wife. I know what she's going through right now.

For law, I read through the rxlaw.org files that Dr. Brushwood sent us. I also bought the federal law review by Barry Reiss & Gary Hall. It's a good book and easy to read. For specifics, I went online and reviewed laws and rules for the state.

For law, I read through the rxlaw.org files that Dr. Brushwood sent us. I also bought the federal law review by Barry Reiss & Gary Hall. It's a good book and easy to read. For specifics, I went online and reviewed laws and rules for the state.

I've searched the posts here... how are people getting to the yahoo group from here? Craig and I are getting eleventy billion membership requests from here. :laugh:

Hello All:

Took the Naplex this Tuesday....With exception of the first few questions, every thing else was very easy and straightforward....Lots of Calculations and various topics.

It seems that some people seem to be getting harder versions and others not so hard. How do they determine a curve on this exam?

Good advice from the previous posts : study practical material -- everything is fair game.

Congratulations Dana. Thanks for sharing your NAPLEX experience with us. I am having the worst time trying to focus on my studying since starting my residency. I am still waiting to hear from the California Board :confused: to have my application approved and then my ATT. Out of state grads just get no love.

Much continued success.

I'm having the same problem wrek, thank god I put my good ole WA as my primary, I already passed law and I take the NAPLEX tomorrow and still NO word from the CA board who stamped my app as received 3 weeks later than I sent it and will not answer ANYTHING until 60 days after they determined they received it. I think CA has the most understaffed BOP.

I'm glad to see everyone here having such an easy time, because I'm totally freaking about my NAPLEX tomorrow, and yet I haven't seen anyone fail it (though I've seen people fail the MPJE, which I had a fairly easy time of).

anybody buy/have the lecture notes or Qbank questions from the Kaplan Review? Were they helpful?

Hello All:

Took the Naplex this Tuesday....With exception of the first few questions, every thing else was very easy and straightforward....Lots of Calculations and various topics.

My girlfriend took it yesterday, that's bascially what she said.
Some calcs (like rates), a couple OTC/herbal questions, a couple x drug doesn't come in what dosage form, generic/brand...

hi...
when you say they asked yu about brand/generic, where they hard or just the common ones used that you see in retail/hospital.

Yeah, so I have no clue what my NAPLEX score was, but the woman at the board said she'd be licensing me this afternoon for my WA license! Woohoo!

On my exam some of the brand/generics were ones I hadn't seen much of, one of my calcs was missing pertinent information so I assumed it to be a test question, and I got about 20 questions on Reynaud's, which I only know well because me mum displayed signs of it. Other than that mine was all random, no more than 2 questions on one disease state and I swear it was more than half calcs but it was mainly infusion rates and TPN's, lots of TPN's.

Are top 300 drugs enough for Naplex? (Prescription drug cards published by SFIRX)

Are top 300 drugs enough for Naplex? (Prescription drug cards published by SFIRX)

No, they ask you all kinds of oddball stuff. Prepare the best you can and if you have any common sense from a good education, you will be fine.

well, i took the naplex yesterday and my exam was mostly calculations, it felt like every other question was a calculation. Most were flow/infusion rates, TPNs, and some other odd ones I've never seen before. The rest of the test was pretty random, some easy brand/generic and dosage form questions others were very odd and have never heard of some of the stuff. Well, we shall see, hope I did well enough to pass! This waiting period sucks!

took naplex today, i'll tell you all about it tomorrow!! wasn't as bad as i thought, I hope I passed!

Took the NAPLEX today. Didn't seem too bad and I finished pretty quickly. I guess i had more the HIV one (which also didn't seem horrible), some Hep C, and a mish mash of everything else. Know of a few already that I've missed, but I'm feeling more confident about this than the law.

As I said the test wasn't as hard as I thought..
calculations were easy, i studied Kaplan calculations, and everything on that exam was way easier compared to Kaplan (except the very first question, I still do not understand what they were asking).
I had around 5 question on antidotes, around 5 questions about Hep C (all kind of stuff). brand/generic, some dosage forms (very few), NO HIV, few cancer questions ( 3 about anti-Nausea therapy)... quite a few about with abx to use for which organism, that's all I remember...
some questions were just too weird, I didn't ever bother to think of an answer, just picked anything and went on...
so here is my advice.......
Kaplan is good for calculations, and for an introduction for studying, FLYNN notes were AWSOME... so many questions were straight from that packet and from old exam questions..
my advice to do well is, study whatever book you're studying (APhA, Kaplan, whatever) once, then a week before the exam go over flynn notes and old exam questions and you will do fine...

Let's hope I passed and i wasn't too optimistic :D..
I have a toddler, who hardly let me study, I studied 1-2 hours/day for a month, and it was enough for me...

I wish luck for all of you!! and I thank those ones who gave guidance!

Yeah, 141! No more studying! Now I can have a life!

I just thought I would let everyone know... my fiance took the NAPLEX last week and she now swears by ProntoPass cards. She studied for 2 weeks and got a 142!! She was just hoping to pass... needless to say, we are drinking wine tonight!

Anybody have the ProntoPass MPJE cards? She would like to buy them... Washington anybody? We are searching eBay, but if anyone has them, please PM me!

Cheers and best of luck to all,
WISC-ite

Hope everything goes well! I will let you guys know after I am done with the test! :D

I just finished the test couple hours ago....man it took me about 2 1/2 hours.
I wondered why I got a little bit of everything on my test. Well I hope I did well enough to pass the test! :)

approx 20 calc questions (mMol, allegation, simple dilution)
3 simple compounding questions
A LOT of OTC drugs (must know brand/generic and dosage forms available)
I got only few Qs about chemo drugs, bugs, DM, dyslipid ect.
I got about 7-8 question related to capsaicin (dunno why!)

Some questions were easy to answer but some I had no idea which answers I should give them! :smuggrin:

Just be prepare on OTC drugs!

Wish you all the best!

I took the Naplex last week and passed easily. As I was taking it I kept thinking to myself how does this test if I am capable of practicing pharmacy? I had TONS of dosage form questions and they were all K type which sucked because I knew one or two of them were correct and wasn't sure about the other so I basically had a 50/50 guess most of the time. I don't know how knowing that some drug that you almost never dispense comes in IV and IM, not just PO makes me a better pharmacist.

I had a study with some data and had to calculate two different ratios which I never even heard of. Just hit the next button. Hmmmm... "You know maam I am not sure if Lipitor is hard on your liver, let me pull out the study and do some ratios.... oh I am sorry maam I can't remember those ratios i must be a dumb ass and cannot practice pharmacy, please go down the street I am sure that pharmacist practicing 20 years knows that."

Seriously though, I had no Crcl calc, no aligation, 2 cancer questions, 4 simple HIV questions, just simple dilution, IV rate questions, brand generic, some interaction, MOA, and side effects. It seems like I had a lot of repeat questions asking the same thing in a different way.

Just to give you a perspective, before I started studying I didn't know even know the generic of Amaryl, Prandin, Glyset, Starlix or the generics of any of the ARBS. I started really studying about 10 days before the exam and put in about an average of 7 hours a day. I basically studied the kaplan notes and went through Apha book once(not the calculations or kinetics though). I really skipped most of the first part of every chapter in Apha and just focused on the drugs. I did have an infectious disease(focused on HIV) and psych rotation so I didn't stress to much on those topics but didn't have many questions either.
I feel like I over stressed and over studied because even if I put another 40 hours of studying in, it would have only helped me get 2-3 more questions right.

I took the NAPLEX last week. I had a lot of calcuations, especially mEq and TPN! I have heard a lot of people say that they didn't have any on the test, but I did! TPN questions were simple, just make sure you know the calories in dextrose, protein, and lipids. I had several questions concerning methotrexate and Enbrel. OTC stuff was not too bad, questions concerning garlic, kava kava, and saw palmetto. I only had one HIV questions and 3-4 chemo questions. I was asked treatment for Pseudomonas, UTI in a male who was allergic to sulfa, what bacteria was anaerobic. All in all, if you can find any review questions, those help so much. Also, I am really glad I did more math then what was found in the APhA book. You can ask for a hand held calculator at the testing site, which is kind of nice to have. I am now just waiting for my scores for both the NAPLEX and MPJE.

I took the NAPLEX last week. I had a lot of calcuations, especially mEq and TPN! I have heard a lot of people say that they didn't have any on the test, but I did! TPN questions were simple, just make sure you know the calories in dextrose, protein, and lipids. I had several questions concerning methotrexate and Enbrel. OTC stuff was not too bad, questions concerning garlic, kava kava, and saw palmetto. I only had one HIV questions and 3-4 chemo questions. I was asked treatment for Pseudomonas, UTI in a male who was allergic to sulfa, what bacteria was anaerobic. All in all, if you can find any review questions, those help so much. Also, I am really glad I did more math then what was found in the APhA book. You can ask for a hand held calculator at the testing site, which is kind of nice to have. I am now just waiting for my scores for both the NAPLEX and MPJE.

It sounds like you got the same version that I did. I had all that stuff, too.

has anyone used the Mannon Sharif RxExam and found it useful for Naplex, also Flynn's notes are huge package, which part should I focus on? :confused:

For Florida test takers, how many days will be reciving the score for Naplex. I took the las 26. Please also I need some advice for MPJE test.
Thanks. Marcel

did anyone go to the Chicago College of Pharmacy, midwestern university pharmacy review course? Or heard of anyone going to it? is it any good?

did anyone go to the Chicago College of Pharmacy, midwestern university pharmacy review course? Or heard of anyone going to it? is it any good?

My friend took this review course last year. She said it was okay and in somewhat helped her pass NAPLEX. Other of my friends also mentioned that Midwestern review is still better than Kaplan :D But why don't you consider Flynn's pharmacy review....I heard it's still open for registration for next week though! (however you may want to call them to double check)

Got 138/83. NAPLEX was almost straight forward and easy. Finished it in 3 hours. Got a lot of calculations (yes!!!) and cases on HTN, diabetes, ABX. Some vaccine-related questions, some brands/generics, a few antidotes, no HIV at all??? ... a few cancer questions but mostly anti-emetics, OTC for BPH, depression, fatigue, pain (Capsaicin).

I studied CPR once to refresh my memory. Then all I did was calculations (mMol, mOsmol, mEq, allegation, TPNs, simple kinectics), brand/generic and the Flynn's notes. If you already had your hands on the notes before it was banned, by all means study it at least for a few days before the exam... AWESOME.

MPJE was another story. Took me the full 2 hours with a lot of thinking. Some questions on emergency kits.. wth...no idea..., pharmacy technician hours, pseudafed max daily/monthly allowance... Felt uncertain of everything and thought I would pass with a 75, if lucky to pass at all. I did better than I thought, as it turned out. Remember, you have 90 questions, 30 of which are dropped...decent chance to pass.

Good luck to all.

Hey guys taking my exam on the 18th.. stressing out cause i feel like I forgot everything! What kind of doses should you memorize? I was memorizing doses for abx and stuff but now am feeling like its a waste. Where there alot of questions on depression and neurophysc stuff? I'm the weakest on that but I really dont want to waste too much time if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance!!