For those who were career changers…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kods631

Reaction score
Where did you do your post-bacc program? Does it make a difference between 1 year versus 2 years? Just looking for perspectives from students already in dental school. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you’re not doing the post-bacc to help boost your grades, just get your requirements done. I wouldn’t waste money on classes that aren’t required to apply. If you can handle doing everything you need in 1 year, I’d go for that. It also doesn’t need to be a formal post-bac program. Mine was a mix of non-matriculant coursework at my alma mater and online coursework elsewhere. Depending on where you want to apply for dental school, they may or may not accept online coursework though.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in admissions. I did take a post-bacc.

Don’t do a post bacc. I found a community college and did all my classes there. Only one school out of nine that I interviewed at questioned how hard the courses were at the community college level. I still got my acceptance from that school.

Do the CHEAPEST route.

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you do your post-bacc program? Does it make a difference between 1 year versus 2 years? Just looking for perspectives from students already in dental school. Thank you!
Like cryo8 said, a formal post-bacc program is not necessary. I took almost all of my core science pre-reqs at a CC. During all my interviews it was never questioned.

Just make sure you crush the pre-req courses, have a killer science GPA and you'll be golden. Taking the courses at a CC may slightly limit the schools you can apply to, but just take a look at each's school criteria and go from there.

And, as is the rule with D school. The cheapest route always wins!

I did mine at CC but needed to do a masters to get in, Id recommend a one year, and choose one with linkage. I did the one at Midwestern.