For top places, what kind of step 2 score can make up for a mediocre step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Unfortunately, I did not do so hot on step 1, scoring in the low 220's.

I really want to attend a top program and am coming from a top 25 medical school. What kind of step 2 score would I need to help strengthen my chances at the top places like Hopkins, Partners, Columbia, or UPenn?

Are we talking 240+, 250+? I know higher is better but just wanted to ballpark.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no set number for step 2. Usually places want to see a 10 point increase in scores at the very least. >240 would be optimal. But top places usually screen w/ Step 1 (based on hearsay, cutoff is 220), and then focus on the rest of your application - probably a good track record of research and big name LORs will help more than Step 2.

I agree with TUGM, however, I interviewed at all the places you listed, and am a current resident at one of those places. My Step 1 Score was mediocare, but my Step 2 was >>>250. I think this really helped open the door to many of these places. I also would rec taking it early and getting it in so programs can see this. (this is totally possible to do, if you spend some time and study for STEP 2, in a similar manner you did for step 1).

Although, for Neuro its not all about scores... many times my interviewers were more interested to hear that i acutally thought about how I would fit into the Neuro landscape... come up with a good "future goals" explaination to tie in your research/extracurriculars and you will be set.

Best of luck... any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with TUGM, however, I interviewed at all the places you listed, and am a current resident at one of those places. My Step 1 Score was mediocare, but my Step 2 was >>>250. I think this really helped open the door to many of these places. I also would rec taking it early and getting it in so programs can see this. (this is totally possible to do, if you spend some time and study for STEP 2, in a similar manner you did for step 1).

Although, for Neuro its not all about scores... many times my interviewers were more interested to hear that i acutally thought about how I would fit into the Neuro landscape... come up with a good "future goals" explaination to tie in your research/extracurriculars and you will be set.

Best of luck... any specific questions feel free to pm me.
Just to be clear what do you mean by a mediocre Step 1 score? Can you please give us a range like you did for your Step 2 score?

I would say shoot for over 250. 240s is like average for Step 2.