Foreign trained dentists and OMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MentalDental81

Reaction score
Hello friends and colleagues.

I recently posted in a different forum, but I thought I would post something here as it might make for an interesting discussion. like you all, I'm a foreign-trained dentist (South Africa), and I have recently been accepted into a qualifying program in Canada. I'm wondering if there are any foreign dentists here on this forum that have completed a qualifying program, either in Canada or the US, and then gone on to do a residency in oral maxillofacial surgery? or does anyone here perhaps know of such an example?

I'm also wondering if the consensus is that foreign trained dentists will be seen as equal to their classmates (who have completed the entire 4 years in either the US or Canada), or will our backgrounds count against us during the residency match? I would like to imagine that if we do well in the program (and score well in the CBSE!!), then we would be evaluated as equals!

I welcome your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet would be to stay at the residency in your school, if it has it, of course. Be the nicest person you can be and be socially active - the more people you know and be nice to, the better are your chances.
In general, FTD know more and their practical skills are better. It is no surprise, FTDs are already graduated as dentists elsewhere. There are exceptions and you will be judged on those. A lot depends on school though

Reactions: 1 user