Foreign Transcripts and cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TruthSpeaker01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I am an American citizen, but my bachelors degree in Biology is from a foreign University. Because I learned that a foreign transcript (even with an evaluation) doesn't count for diddly squat, I did post-baccs for pre-reqs (again) and an SMP with a 3.9 GPA for both.

My question is, is the 3.9 GPA which I obtained in the US the only recognizable GPA that AMCAS will evaluate? Even though they say they will not recognize foreign transcripts, will I still be considered someone who is a bachelors degree holder?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a difficult scenario. I think you'll be fine, as you've done your prereqs here and shown that you can succeed. You will be considered to have a bachelor's degree, so you're good in that regard. How many credits do you have in the US, in total? Each medical school has different cutoffs for minimum US-accredited credit hours.
Texas will count coursework that shows up on a transfer transcript as being completed in the US in regard to the 90 credit hours:

Undergraduate foreign coursework that appears as transfer credit on the transcript of a regionally accredited US college will count towards the 90 hour requirement. Each individual transfer course credit granted by the US school must be listed on the transcript. Lump sum credit with no specific course and hour identification will not be accepted.

Foreign coursework will not count towards satisfying any of the required courses listed in theEducation Requirements section. All prerequisites must be taken at a regionally accredited US or Canadian college or university.

Some, such as Emory, only require one additional year of coursework if you have a foreign degree:

If your degree is from an institution outside the United States or Canada, you will need to complete one full year of coursework, including 2 semesters of biology (with lab), two semesters of General or Inorganic Chemistry (with lab), two semesters of Organic Chemistry (with lab) and two semesters of Physical Science (with lab) at a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or Canada before applying to Emory.

For the majority of schools, one year of US coursework that covers all of the prereqs is probably acceptable. You should be fine. The thing you need to make sure of is that you not only cover the basic science prereqs, but also the humanities, as those fall under the "must be completed in the US" category at many schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply, I have 120 credits of undergrad and 40 credits grad in the USA. 204 credits abroad