Foreign Undergrad, First Year in Foreign Med School, Applying to US Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sopralto2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm in a bit of a complicated situation and would like to get as much advice as I can get.

I finished my undergraduate degree in Biology in the Philippines. Wanting to avoid taking out loans for both undergrad and medical school, I applied for a medical school in the same country and got accepted. So I am currently in my first year in med school. My original plan was to graduate from medical school, take the USMLE steps, and do my residency in the US.

However, my parents have advised me to move back to the States and apply for US medical schools instead. They are worried about my chances of getting into a residency once I graduate from my present school and come home to the States.

Is this a good move to make? How do I go about it? I am seriously considering their advice and planning a course of action to take. Not only because of the anxiety over the chances of matching, but also because of homesickness and possibly burnout which have been affecting my academic performance recently.

I am considering redoing my undergrad since I heard that most US med schools do not accept foreign transcripts(?). Is this a feasible plan? How long could it take? Are there any other paths that I can take towards attending US medical schools? Should I just stick to my original plan?

Responses and advice would be very much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you wish to practice medicine in the US go to a US med school. If you wish to do the latter, go to a US UG school. Keep in mind that international applicants to US med schools need to be superstars even if they're here in the states.

If I do redo undergrad and apply for schools in the US, will medical schools also look at my transcripts from my first undergrad and my first year in med school in the PH? I am kinda worried, because I am not doing so well this past semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you wish to practice medicine in the US go to a US med school. If you wish to do the latter, go to a US UG school. Keep in mind that international applicants to US med schools need to be superstars even if they're here in the states.
Important to be realistic, but disagree with this statement. I'm not a superstar and I got in to > 1 med school on my first try even with a pretty mediocre MCAT. I've also helped other internationals who are not superstars gain admission. We're all board certified MDs now. Definitely, it's a painful additional obstacle, but not insurmountable if you are shrewd (screen schools well before applying, meet with the admissions director, leverage your strengths in the application).

Last edited:
Important to be realistic, but disagree with this statement. I'm not a superstar and I got in to > 1 med school on my first try even with a pretty mediocre MCAT. I've also helped other internationals who are not superstars gain admission. We're all board certified MDs now. Definitely, it's a painful additional obstacle, but not insurmountable if you are shrewd (screen schools well before applying, meet with the admissions director, leverage your strengths in the application).
Did you get I to the school associated with your UG school? And how long ago?

Thanks for the advice! Update: I have recently left my foreign medical school and I have now returned to the US to pursue that route. How do I proceed from here? I'm not exactly very familiar with the US admission system. I also do not have SAT/ACT scores because I also finished high school abroad (my family migrated here as I was starting my college abroad). I am thinking of either getting my units from undergrad evaluated or getting a GED. I do not know how to proceed with either, and I have no one in the family to ask. I am anxious about the latter because I don't know how universities look at GED's. Well, I am anxious about both because of many things, mainly because of practical matters. Will medical school look badly at my application if I do this? I also heard that financial aid is kinda limited because I already earned a first undergrad, how true is this? Help. :O Thanks in advance.

I am also considering getting a graduate degree instead before proceeding with applying to medical schools. Is this also feasible?

What a small world! I actually just finished my undergraduate degree in Health Sciences in the Philippines last May 2017. I moved here July of last year and just a couple of weeks ago, got accepted into 3 postbac programs I applied to in Cali.

I also had to make the choice between going to med school back in the Philippines (I would be finishing my first year of med school at this point in time if I stayed) and moving to the US. Ultimately, I chose the easier path. It delayed me quite a bit but at the end of the day, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

What a small world! I actually just finished my undergraduate degree in Health Sciences in the Philippines last May 2017. I moved here July of last year and just a couple of weeks ago, got accepted into 3 postbac programs I applied to in Cali.

I also had to make the choice between going to med school back in the Philippines (I would be finishing my first year of med school at this point in time if I stayed) and moving to the US. Ultimately, I chose the easier path. It delayed me quite a bit but at the end of the day, it's a marathon and not a sprint.

Hi! Which one of the two options did you mean by the easier path? Did you go back to the Philippines?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Which one of the two options did you mean by the easier path? Did you go back to the Philippines?

I'm here in the US now. Moved here about 10 months ago.

Long term, moving to the US and going to med school in the US would be much easier than graduating from a foreign medical school, killing the USMLE, then attempting to match to a residency program. The only down side is that it'll take you longer to get into med school if you move to the US since med schools want you to retake your prerequisites and then some in an accredited US institution.

Hi! I would just like to know, was it easy to get into the post bacc of USC? How were your grades in your undergrad back in the Philippines? And what is your expected timeline as to when you’d be matriculating to a med school?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I would just like to know, was it easy to get into the post bacc of USC? How were your grades in your undergrad back in the Philippines? And what is your expected timeline as to when you’d be matriculating to a med school?

Thank you so much!

I wouldn't say it was easy. During my interview/information session, they told me that most, if not all, of the students they accept into the postbac program have research experience under their belt. Also, I believe there's a minimum GPA to apply given that they can only provide you with so much credits to boost your GPA to reach medical school standards. I had an foreign undergraduate cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of 3.2. Of course, it's important to note that when applying to US medical schools, foreign credits don't have weight in your GPA calculation.

The USC program runs for two years. I've heard that some were able to manage doing it in a year but the program director discourages you from doing so. The rationale behind the two year program is to provide you with enough free time to do research/clinical work/shadowing on the side. If I do decide to go to USC, I would start this fall. 2 years + a glide year would give me an expected 2021 matriculation.

I wouldn't say it was easy. During my interview/information session, they told me that most, if not all, of the students they accept into the postbac program have research experience under their belt. Also, I believe there's a minimum GPA to apply given that they can only provide you with so much credits to boost your GPA to reach medical school standards. I had an foreign undergraduate cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of 3.2. Of course, it's important to note that when applying to US medical schools, foreign credits don't have weight in your GPA calculation.

The USC program runs for two years. I've heard that some were able to manage doing it in a year but the program director discourages you from doing so. The rationale behind the two year program is to provide you with enough free time to do research/clinical work/shadowing on the side. If I do decide to go to USC, I would start this fall. 2 years + a glide year would give me an expected 2021 matriculation.

So does that mean that your grades/transcripts from the Philippines will not even be looked at when you apply for medical schools? How will the post bacc help you get into med school?

So does that mean that your grades/transcripts from the Philippines will not even be looked at when you apply for medical schools? How will the post bacc help you get into med school?

Some med schools will ask for it for formality's sake. I got mine evaluated by a third-party company (WES: World Education Services), which I sent to the postbacs I applied to along with my official transcript. For people like us who graduated with foreign degrees, "career-changer" postbacs allow us to retake the prereqs needed by US medical schools. These med schools require us to have taken the science prereqs from an accredited US institution. Basically, at this point in time, your GPA is actually a zero. Postbacs help you build your US cGPA and sGPA so you can apply to US medical schools.

Some med schools will ask for it for formality's sake. I got mine evaluated by a third-party company (WES: World Education Services), which I sent to the postbacs I applied to along with my official transcript. For people like us who graduated with foreign degrees, "career-changer" postbacs allow us to retake the prereqs needed by US medical schools. These med schools require us to have taken the science prereqs from an accredited US institution. Basically, at this point in time, your GPA is actually a zero. Postbacs help you build your US cGPA and sGPA so you can apply to US medical schools.

Thank you so much for this info! Would it be alright to privately message you? I still have a few more questions about the USC post bacc program

If I may ask, what are the three postbacc programs your got accepted into? I am also trying to explore postbacc.

If I may ask, what are the three postbacc programs your got accepted into? I am also trying to explore postbacc.

Accepted at USC and Chapman. Interviews in the next couple of days for Cal State Fullerton and Charles Drew.

Hi, I am a foreign pharmacy grad from the PH and trying to get into MD school here too. I've been volunteering at a hospital and met a non-trad who did all her pre-reqs. at diff Community College. She advised me to get my lower science course at CC, then prob do upper science course at like UCLA ext. to save money.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted at USC and Chapman. Interviews in the next couple of days for Cal State Fullerton and Charles Drew.

Congrats on USC and Chapman! And good luck on your interviews!

Hi, I am a foreign pharmacy grad from the PH and trying to get into MD school here too. I've been volunteering at a hospital and met a non-trad who did all her pre-reqs. at diff Community College. She advised me to get my lower science course at CC, then prob do upper science course at like UCLA ext. to save money.

Hi! Yup, that's a great plan! I also do need to consider financial resources. Which ones of the pre-reqs are considered lower science courses and upper science courses? And how are you financing your classes?

Hi! Yup, that's a great plan! I also do need to consider financial resources. Which ones of the pre-reqs are considered lower science courses and upper science courses? And how are you financing your classes?

Lower science courses are like the basics, upper is more like anatomy, microbio from my understanding but she told me to register at MSAR so I could see which courses I need to take to be able to qualify at my preferred MD schools. Right now I haven't started cause I'm just getting myself licensed so I could work part time as rph and finance my courses. Hopefully I could start this yr. Btw volunteering is very important so you get to know people and they could write your recommendation letter

Lower science courses are like the basics, upper is more like anatomy, microbio from my understanding but she told me to register at MSAR so I could see which courses I need to take to be able to qualify at my preferred MD schools. Right now I haven't started cause I'm just getting myself licensed so I could work part time as rph and finance my courses. Hopefully I could start this yr. Btw volunteering is very important so you get to know people and they could write your recommendation letter

Best of luck to you! :)

Aren’t CC courses looked down upon when applying to a med school?

According to the non trad grad who did all her pre reqs at diff. CCs, as of now she's waitlisted at UCSD and got accepted at Michigan Im not sure which md school there though, she told me she applied to like 20 MD school and prob still waiting for the other response.

According to the non trad grad who did all her pre reqs at diff. CCs, as of now she's waitlisted at UCSD and got accepted at Michigan Im not sure which md school there though, she told me she applied to like 20 MD school and prob still waiting for the other response.

That’s good to hear! She more or less did a DIY post bacc, right?

There's a lot of contention about that. There are a lot of threads here that discuss CC vs university prereqs. If you have the funds, taking them at a university is your best bet.

There's a lot of contention about that. There are a lot of threads here that discuss CC vs university prereqs. If you have the funds, taking them at a university is your best bet.

With the formal post bacc program do you think the school will allow me to work part-time? I was thinking of applying through formal post bacc early this yr too but I'm hesitant if they are going to accept all my foreign credentials. How did it go for you? Thanks!

Btw Scripps college post bacc looks so appealing to me but they require you to submit a standardized test either GRE,SAT or ACT. So we have to take either 1 of those test in order to apply.

With the formal post bacc program do you think the school will allow me to work part-time? I was thinking of applying through formal post bacc early this yr too but I'm hesitant if they are going to accept all my foreign credentials. How did it go for you? Thanks!

Some formal postbacs, that are two-year programs, will *technically* allow you to work. You just have to call their offices and confirm. For example, I'm going to USC. The program is designed in such a way that they give you 3 days off (Fri-Sun) to get some clinical/research work and shadowing done. My work is clinical so it works out for me.

Btw Scripps college post bacc looks so appealing to me but they require you to submit a standardized test either GRE,SAT or ACT. So we have to take either 1 of those test in order to apply.

Yes, that's correct. I applied to Scripps early of last year and the standardized testing wasn't an issue since I took the SATs in my senior year of high school. I went to the Scripps Open House last year and I asked the program director if they've ever had someone with a foreign degree before. She said no. Just to give you a heads up, the Scripps postbac is extremely competitive and they won't allow you to work part-time.

Hello! I’m another one with the same story... First year in med school in the PH and migrating in the US soon. How does post bacc application works? bc I have no idea on how these things work and I have no one to ask these questions, so glad to find this forum. How to know the requirements of the school and how to apply? Also, if I can work to a research lab there, would it affect my med school application? Thank you