Forensic Psychiatric Evaluation of Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello -

I have heard there are some very active forensic psychiatrists on this forum, so I wanted to ask what exactly is entailed in the forensic psychiatric examination of a physician, particularly if it is ordered by a medical board?

What sort of questions may one expect during the eval? Does it tend to be standard or does it vary based on the particular physician?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It varies somewhat based on the examiner but it is a full psychiatric diagnostic evaluation and fitness for duty evaluation. They will be asking questions to determine what diagnoses, if any, the physician has and whether and in what way those diagnoses would impact your ability to practice medicine safely. They will review all relevant records and the circumstances that led to the board evaluation in the first place. Because of the public safety component the recommendations for treatment and monitoring will usually be more intense that would be required for a non physician

If you've never done one it's best to work with someone who has done them and learn from them. If you're outside of fellowship this will be next to impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've never done one it's best to work with someone who has done them and learn from them. If you're outside of fellowship this will be next to impossible.

I suspect OP is the one getting evaluated based on prior threads. So probably just looking for a heads up of what to expect.

Reactions: 1 users
If I was the examiner, there is a chance I may request that a forensic psychologist or a forensic neuropsychologist do psychological testing. Also, I would likely conduct a collateral interview of colleagues and family.