Forensic Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxj9303

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm unsure if this topic belongs to this thread, as it seemed most relevant. Here's a little background of me: currently an undergrad senior at USC, majoring in Psychology, overall GPA is 3.6, major GPA will likely be around 3.6-3.8 by the time I leave. I've been interested in pursuing a career in forensic science. I took two courses in forensic psychology/criminal behavior and I found myself most interested in the science aspect of it. I love studying criminology and youth violence as well, but I'd love to get into a field where I can apply science to help understand a specific issue. As a Psychology major, I don't have any background in the natural sciences. The closest requirement i have for most forensic programs is Statistics.

After graduating, I'm thinking about taking pre-requisites at a community college to save money and to prepare myself for Master's programs in Forensic Science. I wish I'd known more about the field beforehand, but I'm far too along my major to turn back and take those required classes. I was also thinking about working at a correctional facility for a year or two before applying. That way, I'd have my classes out of the way and have time to study for the GREs and all that good stuff. Has anyone gone through some career changes like this? I'm feeling a little uncertain since I don't know anyone else who's interested in this material. But I hope I'm on the right path to get on this career track. My first obstacles is to get these requirements in.

Any suggestions would be great!

Edit: Also I'm looking into post-bac programs to get those requirements in. Is that another route too?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome, while there might not be many people on here with a background or interest in forensic science, there are plenty of people on here who are making major shifts in direction and pursuing paths very different from their original degree. So you'll find plent of people who will be able to relate on best jobs while trying to do pre req courses or study for admission exams, etc.

I have a former classmate of mine doing a forensics program.She's at penn, I think, and says it's challenging but she really seems to enjoy it too.

Last edited: