Forget fellowship, go work for UPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an MS4, 2 pubs, no AOA, step1 240-250..

Can someone help me pick top UPS training programs?

Reactions: 6 users
I'm an MS4, 2 pubs, no AOA, step1 240-250..

Can someone help me pick top UPS training programs?
Sorry, but I highly recommend you do not go into UPS:
-Average workweek is 60 hours plus frequent calls, working weekends, etc.
-You never know when your day will end because you could get a delivery added-on at the last minute.
-You'll be making half of what UPS workers used to make in previous generations.
-Other postal services (e.g., FedEx) are taking over across various regions of the country.
-The future is you're basically an employee, not the boss.
-Boss-track jobs to manage UPS delivery services are growing fewer and further between, with huge capital required to buy-in, or you work for peanuts while the real bosses skim off of all your hard work for longer.
-Customers have no idea who you are but instead think the U.S. Postal Service mailman or woman is the one who really delivers the mail, not you.
-You have to manage UPS assistants at ratios of 1:4.
-But you're legally liable if your UPS assistants mess up the package drop off by accidentally throwing it onto the roof rather than putting it on the front doorstep of a house.
-Reimbursements are going down too because postal delivery has become such a huge part of our national budget and so the federal government wants to cut postal delivery costs.

With your high Step 1 score, you should definitely choose a career where you are in customer-facing specialty, where you are in direct control of the package deliveries. Instead I recommend you go into U.S. Postal Service just sorting through mail in the mail room at first, which I know really sucks, dealing with all this crap work that no one else wants to do. But if you pay your dues and do it for 3 years, you can then subspecialize in delivering mail anywhere you want. You can subspecialize in delivering mail to rich apartment complexes, you can subspecialize in delivering mail to Beverly Hills mansions, you can subspecialize in delivering mail to wealthy businesses, etc. The sky is the limit.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but the graph in that article is no where near reality. I actually used to work for UPS. I agree that a driver makes good money, but I can assure you that they never make anywhere near 1 million net annual salary. Also it would be highly unusual for an 18 y/o to get a driving job right off the bat. You will be in the warehouse slingin boxes for a few years before you build up enough seniority to get a driving spot. I had enough seniority after working for 5 years! Bottom line: poor example of how to get "wealthy".

I think the point of the post is to highlight the fact that becoming a physician is not a great path to becoming wealthy. Our society vastly overestimates the wealth of most physicians. I am not trying to say that doctors are poor, but most are solidly in the middle class. Anesthesiology happens to be a higher compensated field, but ask a pediatrician or a family doc if he or she feels wealthy. This idea of physician wealth does absolutely nothing to help our public relations. This idea of physician wealth is something that the government and corporations who control healthcare would love to perpetuate. It creates a scapegoat for the spiraling out of control costs and a target for the government to make it seem like they are doing something to control those costs.

I also think most physicians feel like they've been part of a bait and switch. Because there is this idea of physician wealth within our society, most feel like they've been lied to when they get out in the real world after residency, have a $250,000 debt hanging over their heads, are still working 65 hours a week, and not really achieving any increase in quality of life. The "live like a resident" mantra gets old when you are in your 30s trying to start a family and you've sacrificed your 20s while your friends traveled and had fun. But patients still look at you and think about that BMW M5 you have in your garage and your summer home on Cape Cod.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, but I highly recommend you do not go into UPS:
-Average workweek is 60 hours plus frequent calls, working weekends, etc.
-You never know when your day will end because you could get a delivery added-on at the last minute.
-You'll be making half of what UPS workers used to make in previous generations.
-Other postal services (e.g., FedEx) are taking over across various regions of the country.
-The future is you're basically an employee, not the boss.
-Boss-track jobs to manage UPS delivery services are growing fewer and further between, with huge capital required to buy-in, or you work for peanuts while the real bosses skim off of all your hard work for longer.
-Customers have no idea who you are but instead think the U.S. Postal Service mailman or woman is the one who really delivers the mail, not you.
-You have to manage UPS assistants at ratios of 1:4.
-But you're legally liable if your UPS assistants mess up the package drop off by accidentally throwing it onto the roof rather than putting it on the front doorstep of a house.
-Reimbursements are going down too because postal delivery has become such a huge part of our national budget and so the federal government wants to cut postal delivery costs.

With your high Step 1 score, you should definitely choose a career where you are in customer-facing specialty, where you are in direct control of the package deliveries. Instead I recommend you go into U.S. Postal Service just sorting through mail in the mail room at first, which I know really sucks, dealing with all this crap work that no one else wants to do. But if you pay your dues and do it for 3 years, you can then subspecialize in delivering mail anywhere you want. You can subspecialize in delivering mail to rich apartment complexes, you can subspecialize in delivering mail to Beverly Hills mansions, you can subspecialize in delivering mail to wealthy businesses, etc. The sky is the limit.

Damn, that's well said. Sad, but I have to admit laughing while reading.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody has a better sense of humor than the gas forum guys XD