Form BT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the PS section was difficult! i have no idea where they come up with this stuff. verbal was pretty easy. bio was kinda difficult, more orgo and only 1 or 2 genetics question.

PS --
heater/air conditioner/circuit passage
acid/base indicators titration
magnetism
2 images formed from lens mass (optics)
loop of wire around solid iron bar
lead acid battery/electric cars
calorimeter stuff
person on moon

BS --
HIV about HLA antigens
squid symbiosis with light-producing bacteria
tuberculosis phosolipase gene
plasma osmolarity/urine production
cholesterol/LDL
albumin-solute regulation
t-butyl chloride/bromine synthesis
salicyldehyde rxns

for the discrete: what did u put for the one which is least affected by a large burn on the skin? i put CO2/O2 levels.
for the rxn of benzoic acid with triphenyl amine, is it formation of amino acid or salt?
for the pedigree, was is both autosomal dominant and x-linked dominant?

what did others feel about this form?

Members don't see this ad.

No, that sounds like the one I had...it was CBT so the "form" wasn't identified.

I thought PS was pretty easy, but VR was as hard as the hardest of the AAMC practice tests (7 and 6R for me). I'm not sure about BS since there were some things right at the end I had no idea about, and so I think that's clouding my memory.

I thought the titration passage i got stuck on the endpoint of MQ or whatever indictator. For BS, i finished about 40 mins early and went over each answer about 3 times, never felt so well about BS in my life.

For the discrete: i put CO2/O2 levels, pretty sure that's it.
for the rxn of benzoic acid with triphenyl amine, is it formation salt i think beacuse it was a carboxylic acid and base (tertiary amine).
for the pedigree, i thought it was autosomal recessive i think? i forget.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, here is my breakdown:

PS: It was okay. I guessed on 2 questions in the titration passage about endpoint and something else. The rest was decent, i thought most of it was in the passage. I finished just on time with no chance to go back.

Verbal: Going great until the Causality passage, got nervous, pretty much guessed on a lot of the questions. Then finished the test about 5 mins early and went back, hope i got a good amount.

BS: Read last post!

MrAndrew47 said:
I thought the titration passage i got stuck on the endpoint of MQ or whatever indictator. For BS, i finished about 40 mins early and went over each answer about 3 times, never felt so well about BS in my life.

For the discrete: i put CO2/O2 levels, pretty sure that's it.
for the rxn of benzoic acid with triphenyl amine, is it formation salt i think beacuse it was a carboxylic acid and base (tertiary amine).
for the pedigree, i thought it was autosomal recessive i think? i forget.

how could it have been autosomal recessive? the disease did not skip any generations and half the people (male and female) had it every generation...

jtank said:
how could it have been autosomal recessive? the disease did not skip any generations and half the people (male and female) had it every generation...

You're probably right, i had a full bottle of champagne in me when i posted last night hehe

i put autosomal dominant because one only one mutation caused the disorder.... AS in los angeles also got the exact form that you had.... what about the john boone vr passage where it asks what would weaken his statement that nature would eradicate the litter in the area? i dont know why so many ppl are going nutz on PS... i mean yes it is harder than the aamc passages....much harder.... but it wasnt to the extent that they are talking about.... the one about the two images and the fan got me on PS....what happens to the temp of the cooler when the refrigerant evaporates? i wrote stays the same... what would stay the same if three different objects produced the same light? i wanted to write different wavelengths or frequencies but not there, so i wrote brightness..... how about BS on one of the genetic passages where it talked about some indian tribe being .51 of a certain trait, something about gene flow.... and the causality passage on VR, I was like what??

for the three objects, i put same chemical composition, since the other answer choices (shape, mass, brightness) didnt make sense.

for the ball dropping in the fluid passage, what did u put happens to the potential energy of the ball as it falls through the air, then in to the fluid? i put KE in air, heat in fluid.

jtank said:
the PS section was difficult! i have no idea where they come up with this stuff. verbal was pretty easy. bio was kinda difficult, more orgo and only 1 or 2 genetics question.

for the discrete: what did u put for the one which is least affected by a {edited} what did others feel about this form?

I had BT- I thought Verbal was kinda tough, but PS and BS weren't so bad. I put CO2/O2 levels for the burn.

I'm almost certain the pedigree was both autosomal and x-linked dominant

Glad to be done

i am confused as to how it could be autosomal and x linked...
i had bt and put autosomal dominant

I also 2nd chemical composition w/ jtank...!

can someone also enlighten me on the convergent or phelogenic or adaptive and something else... question in one of the bio passages

Freakedout said:
can someone also enlighten me on the convergent or phelogenic or adaptive and something else... question in one of the bio passages

yea, it was something about bats and some other animal having similar features, but evolutionary different. im pretty sure it was convergent.

I've completed a year of biology and a semester of chemistry... and I don't recognize any of this stuff! What's going on? Sounds like genetics and other higher level courses to me.

my thoughts exactly , it would be nice if some one who put autosomal /xlinked would explain their reasoning.

I had form BG, but your comments were a good summary of all the questions I too had difficulty with. Way to go memory boy/girl!

{edited, specific item information}

jtank said:
yea, it was something about bats and some other animal having similar features, but evolutionary different. im pretty sure it was convergent.

This is the one question I DO remember. I never had evolution as part of my Biology course so I always get these questions wrong. I did read about the main aspects abotu evolution before the test but of course I didn't learn these terms.

The choices were (in order) : adaptive radiation, (something else),phyletic evolution, convergent evolution

the answer was adaptive radiation, I believe, because it was supposed to be something that diverged, but of course I didn't put that.

trillian said:
This is the one question I DO remember. I never had evolution as part of my Biology course so I always get these questions wrong. I did read about the main aspects abotu evolution before the test but of course I didn't learn these terms.

The choices were (in order) : adaptive radiation, (something else),phyletic evolution, convergent evolution

the answer was adaptive radiation, I believe, because it was supposed to be something that diverged, but of course I didn't put that.

No, that is incorrect. Adaptive radiation is when many new species come about from one ancestral species. Since the question said that they were evolutionary different, they could not have come from one species. Convergent evolution makes sense since two different species are getting closer together or converging.

jtank said:
No, that is incorrect. Adaptive radiation is when many new species come about from one ancestral species. Since the question said that they were evolutionary different, they could not have come from one species. Convergent evolution makes sense since two different species are getting closer together or converging.

I guess I don't remember after all! I could've sworn my question said that 2 species started off similar but then became different over time.

actually if we want to be accurate , the question was along the lines of "an enzyme was used in the squids for a specific reason, and now the same enzyme in another animal has a different fucntion , what can this be attributed too?" adaptive, phylogenic, convergent etc etc

I can remember but I put either adaptive or convergent

I remember thinking on this question that adaptive radiation is the answer the AAMC wants you to pick because it is the "trap answer." It was obviously between adaptive and convergent. I chose convergent evolution because adaptive radiation is one bird being the original progenitor of birds with larger beaks, smaller beaks, stronger beaks etc etc. For that reason I thought that adaptive radiation was the trap for in the squid the same enzyme was used but had undergone evolutionary changes to be involved in a new biochemical pathway. I am not sure If I am right, I was just trying to pick the answer that was least wrong for the question!!!

Freakedout said:
actually if we want to be accurate , the question was along the lines of "an enzyme was used in the squids for a specific reason, and now the same enzyme in another animal has a different fucntion , what can this be attributed too?" adaptive, phylogenic, convergent etc etc

I can remember but I put either adaptive or convergent