Formulaic Approach to Beta-Oxidation Energy Yield?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any formulas for calculating the energy yield in ATP of various fatty acids? The even-numbered saturated fatty acids are pretty-straightforward, but it gets tricky with the polyunsaturated and odd-numbered ones...Ideally, I want a formula where I can input the Chain length and the number and position of double bonds and get an output of the number of ATP's produced. Then I could program it into my graphing calculator and destroy my biochemistry exam on Friday
:idea:

For example:

B-oxidation , odd-numbered chain length saturated fat:

[(Chain length - 1)/2] - 1 = x

2.5(4x+1) + 1.5(2x+1) + x = 14x+ 4 = # ATP produced

The formulae for unsaturated fats will be tougher to derive though.

Can someone confirm if this is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of any formulas for calculating the energy yield in ATP of various fatty acids? The even-numbered saturated fatty acids are pretty-straightforward, but it gets tricky with the polyunsaturated and odd-numbered ones...Ideally, I want a formula where I can input the Chain length and the number and position of double bonds and get an output of the number of ATP's produced. Then I could program it into my graphing calculator and destroy my biochemistry exam on Friday
:idea:

For example:

B-oxidation , odd-numbered chain length saturated fat:

[(Chain length - 1)/2] - 1 = x

2.5(4x+1) + 1.5(2x+1) + x = 14x+ 4 = # ATP produced

The formulae for unsaturated fats will be tougher to derive though.

Can someone confirm if this is correct?
Oh and good luck on your exam! Good thing we don't have to worry about this on the MCAT.