Forum Changes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Millisevert

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we get an Australian flag as a banner for our forum like the canadians do in theirs? :cool:

Also.. there are quite a few dents in this forum from Aus and NZ. Not to mention all the foreign dents who keep posting about the ADC exams.

Anyone think we should/could have a subfolder in this forum for us? :D

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great idea! I'm for it, too. We need a Down Under Dental Forum.

BlueToothHunter said:
That's a great idea! I'm for it, too. We need a Down Under Dental Forum.

Sweet! Who do we need to speak to in order to make this happen? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Try PMing the forum mod (leorl).

Right now there's not enough Aussie traffic to warrant sub-forums, but it certainly makes sense for non-MD medical folks to post here, too. I see no probs with having dental posts here for the time being.

As to the flag, I'm not sure who did the Canadian one. I'll see what I can find out.

DrMom said:
Right now there's not enough Aussie traffic to warrant sub-forums, but it certainly makes sense for non-MD medical folks to post here, too. I see no probs with having dental posts here for the time being.

As to the flag, I'm not sure who did the Canadian one. I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks DocMom! :)

Does anyone have an update on the future reciprocity agreement between Australia dn US/Canada to allow the direct licensure of dental graduates. It is crazy that they want us to take 2 additional years of school. Anyone have any NEWS?????

Does anyone have an update on the future reciprocity agreement between Australia dn US/Canada to allow the direct licensure of dental graduates. It is crazy that they want us to take 2 additional years of school. Anyone have any NEWS?????

Drtrigeminal said:

Sadly, I don't think this will ever happen. I am a Kiwi dental grad who came over to the U.S after working in Sydney, and I can tell you that the beaurocracy of dental licensure in the U.S probably won't improve any time soon. The American Dental Assoc is trying to accredit some foreign (ie. non-US/Canadian) dental schools (for a fee) at request. This means that the grads would be able to sit clinical board exams (just like the rest of US dental grads) in the U.S. But this is still all just talk and so far only one dental school in Mexico has been added to the list by the Californian dental board (not by the ADA though). So if you want to practice here in the U.S, you would have to repeat the final 2 years of the U.S dental school. There are some legal loopholes, but generally it would be easier to get a US dental degree to get licensed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To our MODERATORS: The international dental forum is composed of mainly foreign dentists in the US trying to get licensure in the US. Can we please have an Australasian dental section where we can talk about dental school/ dentist issues Down Under?

BlueToothHunter said:
I am a Kiwi dental grad who came over to the U.S after working in Sydney,

The American Dental Assoc is trying to accredit some foreign (ie. non-US/Canadian) dental schools (for a fee) at request. This means that the grads would be able to sit clinical board exams (just like the rest of US dental grads) in the U.S.

Hey BlueTooth, where in the US are you now? Did you complete a masters programme there? Are you now working in the US?

I heard that it is true, but it hasn't happend yet. The Dean here at USyd is looking into getting us accredited by the US/Canadian ADA. I heard that the ADA is going to make some form of announcement in june/july of this year. After that Sydney University and a couple others here (maybe UMelb/UQ) are going to begin the ADA site visits and accreditation process. (I'm not sure if Otago is looking into this option or not).

I just wanted to say that I am in a similar situation as you. I graduated from UQ and am now in a postgrad residency in the US. I would like to get licensed in the US or Canada when I finish and hope the licensure laws change...finger's crossed. Are you in the US now, where? are you licenced?

Cheers

G'day colleagues! I've been in the U.S. since 2002. I did a few things in my time here in the U.S., a general dentistry residency, Master's and an advanced standing program... now I am in ortho in the U.S. I have both NERB and SRTA under my belt and got licenses in some of the eastern states... I never anticipated staying in the U.S this long, but hey, life is a journey, not a destination, right? If you get a chance to sit the Primaries at RACDS, then I would not hesitate to recommend it before moving to either U.S or U.K.

Nice Flag!!! thanks for that! That's awesome. haha :D :thumbup:

Dr.Millisevert,

Has your UNI given you any info on when the arrediation process will being and how long its going to take? I hope UQ gets moving as well.

Drtrigeminal said:
Dr.Millisevert,

Has your UNI given you any info on when the arrediation process will being and how long its going to take? I hope UQ gets moving as well.

Hey. Not really. All I know is that the US and Canadian dental associations are discussing it now. I heard they are supposed to come to some sort of decision in mid July or something. I'll let you know if I hear anything.