Fourth year FM electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyway, my home program’s FM slots are full for the blocks I can actually schedule it.... (Drexel). They have other affiliates all over the place in PA, NJ and MD.

Can anyone here (ideally applying MS4’s or interns, since.. recent) comment on some good programs to look into for a potential rotation? I have a particular interest in OB.

I have another away lined up later in the year (i got a letter from this program already).

Additionally, are two FM LORs essential? I am basically undecided over a few specialties and my schedule is crammmed and I am stressed.

Members don't see this ad.

At this point for electives which interest you. If any of your electives are after match, at least for me, I’d feel weird at a program I didn’t match or didn’t apply to.

I would look in the area you're interested in living in, and look for programs with strong OB training so you can see what that experience is like. Here's a really great resource that includes a (not exhaustive) list of FM programs with strong OB training, as well as some suggestions for what to look for in a program that would indicate strong OB. Generally, you'll be looking for unopposed programs (no other residencies) +/-programs with an OB fellowship, and you might have bad luck in the NE part of the country unless you get out of the city.
2018 Update for “The List”

For LORs...most programs I applied to just wanted 1 FM letter, a couple wanted 2. Two would be ideal just so you're not missing out on a great program because of a letter requirement, but one will get you in the door at the majority of programs. Any other specialty is appropriate for your remaining letters, but IM, peds, and OB are obviously the most pertinent.

Im very much regionally bound due to my spouse and his job. Yay Northeast lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of god do labor and delivery somewhere where you can get hands on experience. I was rocking intern year until I hit LND where I was compared to OB interns who had 3-4 rotations under their belt.

Anesthesiology for intubations, sedation, PIV and overall chill.

Dermatology.

Skip NICU.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to be prepared for internship, so my fourth-year electives included two acting internships in FM (one inpatient, one outpatient), pulmonary/critical care (ICU), EM, dermatology, radiology, and trauma surgery (I was a glutton for punishment in that case).

I wanted to be prepared for internship, so my fourth-year electives included two acting internships in FM (one inpatient, one outpatient), pulmonary/critical care (ICU), EM, dermatology, radiology, and trauma surgery (I was a glutton for punishment in that case).

Im not 100% on FM so my schedule currently has a bunch of sub-i’s on it. L&D, peds inpatient and outpatient, IM, child advocacy, and psych. Plus EM since i am required to have it.

I also was not 100% decided on FM so I did an away rotation during the summer before applying to residency. I more so chose my away based on location, but I would recommend applying to programs that offer the type of training that you're interested in so you can explore FM. For OB, Lawrence (outside of Boston, MA) is a great community program. West Suburban in Chicago is similarly a great community program with lots of OB. University of Wisconsin-Madison is also great for OB if you're interested in an academic program. Good luck!

I also was not 100% decided on FM so I did an away rotation during the summer before applying to residency. I more so chose my away based on location, but I would recommend applying to programs that offer the type of training that you're interested in so you can explore FM. For OB, Lawrence (outside of Boston, MA) is a great community program. West Suburban in Chicago is similarly a great community program with lots of OB. University of Wisconsin-Madison is also great for OB if you're interested in an academic program. Good luck!

Thanks!!

I actually researched a bit today and found that the family medicine program close to where I grew up (it is a community program, affilitated with a huge health system) is actually an unopposed program. I found their application online and my friend from home that works there is helping me coordinate things with their coordinator. So hopefully that works out!

That's great! It will be useful to explore an unopposed program, and you can also see how the affiliation works with a larger health system. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about away rotations or applying to FM. I applied to/interviewed at community, academic, and hybrid programs all over the place, so I have some insight into the differences between types of programs. There are so many out there and it can be pretty overwhelming! Hope you choose FM--good luck!

General question.

After my OB rotation I aced my shelf, thought I got along well with my preceptor, and all around enjoyed the experience. However, I got a lackluster evaluation that was straight Pass. While I get that's part of the game, I have to wonder how this would affect applying to an OB heavy FM residency program. Should I not bother?

After my OB rotation I aced my shelf, thought I got along well with my preceptor, and all around enjoyed the experience. However, I got a lackluster evaluation that was straight Pass. While I get that's part of the game, I have to wonder how this would affect applying to an OB heavy FM residency program. Should I not bother?

"Pass" is never bad.

Reactions: 4 users