FP jobs with pension plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies , what is your opinion on FP jobs with pensions

Is anyone currently in such a position ?

They seem to be located mostly on the West coast and with the VA according to my knowledge

What are the real benefits of this vs a traditional FP job with retirement plans ?

Are they more sought after ?

Usually you have to work there for 25 yrs to be eligible for pension, do they keep you around that long ?

Members don't see this ad.

I have one (east coast hospital that was state owned so we can buy into state employee retirement system). Vested at 8 years. Your years of service plus age must equal 90 for full benefits. Works out to about 2% of pay per year of service. They take 9% pre-tax up to income of 275k/year.

I've done the math, it's a pretty sweet deal. If I make 200k for 30 years, I'll get 9.5k/month from this.

Reactions: 3 users
I have one (east coast hospital that was state owned so we can buy into state employee retirement system). Vested at 8 years. Your years of service plus age must equal 90 for full benefits. Works out to about 2% of pay per year of service. They take 9% pre-tax up to income of 275k/year.

I've done the math, it's a pretty sweet deal. If I make 200k for 30 years, I'll get 9.5k/month from this.

I’ve got one as well, Intermountain west.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how did you guys search for these jobs ? It seems like a very sweet deal as some organizations ( Like Kaiser Perm) offer 80% of salary at time of retirement for life
thanks

Didn't search it out, my old hospital got bought out.

But yeah, Kaiser is well known for having a good pension plan. Other places are location dependent - I knew this hospital offered this I just didn't choose to work for them at first.