Fractured hand and interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Picasso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I managed to fracture my right hand and I have two interviews scheduled before I get the cast off. Any tips for the awkward handshake and looking presentable while I'm limited?

Members don't see this ad.

So I managed to fracture my right hand and I have two interviews scheduled before I get the cast off. Any tips for the awkward handshake and looking presentable while I'm limited?
Sorry to hear that. Senator Bob Dole had a war injury to his right arm from WWII so it was paralyzed and he shakes with his left hand. I think you would do best by extending your left hand as you enter the room and then make the up and down motion quick to the point. Practice with friends and family.

I've shaken hands this way on rare occasions with someone without a right hand and I always did my best to make the moment not awkward for the person. I'm sure your interviewers will be cool with it and at least it gives you something to talk about. Maybe find a youtube of Dole shaking hands.

I'm not sure if you're male or female but if you can't get your cast into a suit jacket, then you just wear shirt/tie or the equivalent for a woman and don't worry about it. You could carry the jacket but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Reactions: 2 users

No interviewer will hold the broken hand against you, but they will probably all ask about it, so you'll have at least one easy topic of conversation. Hopefully there's a good story.

I had a hand injury too for a few months (caused by a patient with dementia)--it didn't need casting/bracing, just time, but I wore a wrist brace so people wouldn't try to shake hands with my right hand because it hurt like crazy each time they did. I was already a resident, so I was shaking anywhere from 10-40 patient's hands per day--my hand wasn't going to heal as quickly if I kept shaking hands like that. So I just extended my left hand to shake, and if someone beat me to it and extended their right hand first I just over-pronated my left arm and bent my elbow to use my left hand to shake their right hand (making sure they saw the brace in the right hand so they didn't think I was just an oddball...)

Reactions: 2 users