Frameshift mutations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A frameshift mutation involving insertion of one base pair in an exon may result in:
  1. a protein product of a lower molecular weight.
  2. a loss of meiotic recombination of the gene.
  3. premature termination by RNA polymerase II.

A. I only Correct Answer
B. III only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only

Is it possible that a frameshift mutation would alter the termination sequence for transcription? I was just wondering why III would be incorrect. The explanation says that RNA pol II doesn't discriminate codons but then how would it recognize the termination sequence in the first place?

Members don't see this ad.

A frameshift mutation involving insertion of one base pair in an exon may result in:
  1. a protein product of a lower molecular weight.
  2. a loss of meiotic recombination of the gene.
  3. premature termination by RNA polymerase II.

A. I only Correct Answer
B. III only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only

Is it possible that a frameshift mutation would alter the termination sequence for transcription? I was just wondering why III would be incorrect. The explanation says that RNA pol II doesn't discriminate codons but then how would it recognize the termination sequence in the first place?
Frameshift mutations result in abnormally long or short proteins. III's interpretation is that RNA polymerase would stop because it doesn't recognize the sequence and hence stop working. This isn't true as it recognizes all the triplets, resulting in longer or shorter than expected proteins.

I think III should also be true. If a frameshift could cause a protein product of lower molecular weight, this means that either A) the new codons, on average, somehow now code for lower weight amino acids or B) transcription terminated earlier than it should have. In other words, III could directly cause I. So I think III should also be correct.

I think III should also be true. If a frameshift could cause a protein product of lower molecular weight, this means that either A) the new codons, on average, somehow now code for lower weight amino acids or B) transcription terminated earlier than it should have. In other words, III could directly cause I. So I think III should also be correct.
That's what I was thinking as well. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, so this has been asked before and there ya go:

TPR FL7 #12 about an exon

RNA poly is involved in transcription/creating primary mRNA transcript. So it wouldn't be involved with start/stop codons ie translation.

Last edited: