Freaking out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverOCD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCATs this friday and I just did AAMC10 but I got a 24.. the highest I ever scored was a 29 (not timing myself but timing isn't that big of an issue to me anymore as I did a lot of practice) but my scores for bio and VR range from 8-10 (while getting an 11 once on the verbal) but I haven't been able to break an 8 on the physical sciences. I would be happy with a 29 on the real thing as I don't mind going to DO school but that aamc10 really discouraged me. Should I void the exam after I take it if I feel I did the same as today? Did any of you ever bomb the practice the week before but do fine on the actual exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you done all of the AAMC FLs? If so, what's your average? I think the general advice of only taking the MCAT if you'd be okay getting your AAMC FL average +/- 2 is sound.

Have you done all of the AAMC FLs? If so, what's your average? I think the general advice of only taking the MCAT if you'd be okay getting your AAMC FL average +/- 2 is sound.
My scores were all over the place ranging from the lowest a 6 (but I don't do that bad anymore ever) to a 10 on each section except for the physical science which I can't break an 8 on. The thing is I usually perform better on actual exams; it will be my first time taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking for a combined score, but section scores are helpful too. I still say only take the exam if you'd be happy scoring your overall score +/- 2 points. For example, if your overall average is 28, only take the exam if you'd be happy scoring 26-30. Good luck!

AAMC10's scaling is harsher than 11. I would void if you had to guess or run out of time. You might get lucky and every passage plays into your strengths on the real thing.

Can you please list the AAMC exams you took and your exact breakdown for each one? Only provide the breakdowns of the ones you took under actual testing conditions.
I took all of the AAMC CBTs and I never kept a record of the breakdowns but it ranged from 25-29.
AAMC10's scaling is harsher than 11. I would void if you had to guess or run out of time. You might get lucky and every passage plays into your strengths on the real thing.
that's the thing; sometimes I am really strong in certain parts (physiology, motion, micro, genetics, most of chem) but I am relatively weak in bio 2 (evolution and such) as well mitosis/ meiosis. Also when it comes to verbal it's hit or miss for me, I can usually figure out 60% of the questions then depending on the level of interest of the passages I will either know most of the remaining 40% or come down to 2 choices.

I did almost run out of time on the physical and the verbal so I had to do one passage of the physical without reading the passage while for the verbal I just felt pressured.

I think it will really depend on the content of the exam I get.

@ForeverOCD check your e-mcat account. It should tell you. Knowing what you averaged is an important tool. It doesn't necessarily mean that's where you'll end up but it's a good indicator of where you stand. A lot of my students think they bombed the test coming out but end up getting 34+. While a lot of my other students think they did amazing but end up with less than 30. So I don't think anyone can really judge how they are doing while they are taking the exam or even right after the exam. My general rule is to score if you have a solid strategy, are averaging where you want to be, and finish all sections of the exam- even if you have to guess a lot.

I would take AAMC 11 today... TIMED... average that score with AAMC 10 and see if that average is something you'd be happy scoring +/- 2 with.

If you aren't hitting 10's on PS then you are lacking content knowledge...

If you do test Friday, hopefully you get a whole slew of PS passages that test your strengths! If you find yourself guessing on a couple question, or a passage as a whole tests one of your weaknesses don't be afraid to void. I would do the same if that happened to me.

Good luck though!

For anyone who was curious, I ended up not voiding the exam on Friday and I feel like that was a huge mistake. Aside from the verbal reasoning and maybe half of the bio I felt like I was just guessing.. I didn't void it because it just seemed like it would be hard on everyone, a ton of low yield topics. It basically came down to my feeling that voiding would be $500 gone to waste (I should have never listened to my emotional brain.)

For anyone who was curious, I ended up not voiding the exam on Friday and I feel like that was a huge mistake. Aside from the verbal reasoning and maybe half of the bio I felt like I was just guessing.. I didn't void it because it just seemed like it would be hard on everyone, a ton of low yield topics. It basically came down to my feeling that voiding would be $500 gone to waste (I should have never listened to my emotional brain.)

Sorry to hear OP, hopefully things work out for you. Just from reading on here, it seems like a lot of people think they initially did horrible though and end up with a decent score.
Worst case scenario is you don't do well, retake, and come back with a vengeance!

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck :) I hope you get lucky and do well :D

Reactions: 1 user